SASS Wire Forum

Hammer mod's

Skillet Johnson

Yes, per Page 34 of the Shooter's Handbook:

- All parts may be smoothed, re-profiled, polished, de-burred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.

- Slings are allowed on long guns. Lanyards are allowed on handguns.

Hammers

- Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size (e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice versa). - Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a revolver).

- Ruger Super-Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e., lowered and widened hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

- Hammer stops may be added.

- The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted.

- Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened.

- Hammer spur grooves may be recut

I'll throw in that the spur may not be bent as much as the hammer itself is replaced.  I'm doing this in the near future with some SBH hammers I have on the way...

42 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

I'll throw in that the spur may not be bent as much as the hammer itself is replaced.  I'm doing this in the near future with some SBH hammers I have on the way...

??? 

43 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting! That's a fairly popular modification.

Does anyone know who sells fanning hammers for a Vaquero?

47 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

:huh: how so?

OLG

Maybe I misunderstood?  OP mentioned bent hammer spur.  I thought maybe it was a replaced hammer he spotted.  Then I mentioned I was swapping my hammers for super black hawk hammers (SBH).  Is that more clear?  Great, now I'm self conscious...  (kidding)

Out of curiosity...  can a hammer spur be bent?  Seems like that would be tough to do.

I think I see what threw OLG & Yul off...  I meant "may not be bent" as in it might not have been bent,  not "may not be bent" as in not allowed.  Was that it?

19 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I think reading English is just as likely to have thrown them off. :D

What does a lawyer know about reading English? :lol:

Yul and I read American..........:P

OLG

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What does a lawyer know about reading English? :lol:

Yul and I read American..........:P

OLG

Most of em don’t even know the definition of “is”.

4 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Yes they can be bent.  It is fairly simple if you have the right heat source and a bit of knowledge.

this will usually do the job :)

Image result for cutting torch

On 2/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, Captain Clark said:

Yep ..& then they bend real easy..& stainless polish back  up without a problem !!

On 2/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, Captain Clark said:

Are there any tricks involved for doing this on stainless hammers?  It would be great if someone would put together a short tutorial for this modification.  My left thumb doesn't want to reach up and grab the hammer spur as easily as my right hand does.

1 minute ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Are there any tricks involved for doing this on stainless hammers?  It would be great if someone would put together a short tutorial for this modification.  My left thumb doesn't want to reach up and grab the hammer spur as easily as my right hand does.

Unless you already have the tools, it's going to be a whole lot cheaper to get someone like Boomstick J to do it.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Unless you already have the tools, it's going to be a whole lot cheaper to get someone like Boomstick J to do it.

Takes more than a propane torch and pliers?

Takes more than a propane torch and pliers?

In my experience, yes. You need something hotter and some pliers that won't Mar the hammer.

Thanks, Tyrel.  Guess I'm going to have to look around for someone to do the job then.  I would get up with Boomstick J, but I'd rather stay local to avoid FFL fees.

Thanks, Tyrel.  Guess I'm going to have to look around for someone to do the job then.  I would get up with Boomstick J, but I'd rather stay local to avoid FFL fees.

Why would you need FFL fees?  He can ship your guns back to you directly. Or just send the hammers.

3 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Just send the hammer. 

On 2/21/2019 at 2:38 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I think reading English is just as likely to have thrown them off. :D

I am just impressed by OLG and Yul, I didn't even know they knew how to read (English or American):wacko:-_-:):D:lol::P

Boomstick's work on ROA hammers - used to be a 7 1/2"

ROA.jpg

Here’s an Old Army that Boomstick Jay lowered the hammer on also. He did a full action job on it also and it is a real pleasure to shoot.

574C4756-5448-407F-BE00-D59888B680EF.jpeg

Archived