SASS Wire Forum

Lead and copper solvent?

Charlie Harley, #14153

Tighter fitting softer bullets and you don't have to knock any lead out.  Haven't scrubbed any lead from cowboy guns in last 5 years.

Kroil works for cleaning up badly fouled barrels for me.

:lol:

Good luck, GJ

:ph34r:   Home-brewed 'Ed's Red' usually works for me.  Shared a batch 50/50 with a friend 3 years ago and still have over half left.....

Copper succumbs to 'Sweet's 7.62' solvent. 

Restoration of neglected/abused barrels works with JB paste.

Plus mucho to Garrison Joe's advice on lead bullet fit-to-bore.  When we first began shooting .32 Rugers I almost gave up due to the lead accumulation in the barrel. 

Using proper bullets eliminated the problem.

16 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Kroil works for cleaning up badly fouled barrels for me.

:lol:

Good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, Grey Beard said:

Lewis Lead remover works great for me.

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

RB-17 is what I use for heavy duty cleaning.  It's now sold under the Blue Wonder label.  But I seldom have a need to use anything other than CLP or ballistol. 

Use all 3 of these. Kroil first then Lewis Lead remover for the rest. Sometimes RB-17. The Lewis Lead Remover works best for me.

For me:

If it's bad JB Bore cleaner then  ballistol. Lewis lead remover for extreme cases.

Ballistol is all I normally use for my own guns as the aforementioned bullet fit is very helpful.

The main issue is to clean out lead before using jacketed.  And clean out jacketed before shooting lead.

If you shoot  the same stuff, you do not actually need to clean it out completely as I used to do electronically.

You see the barrel always has very slight imperfections that catches a slight amount of the bullet material.  It will do that one the first couple of shots.

Over cleaning the barrel can actually do very slight wear that is not needed.

For my cowboy guns, I clean out after each match or practice, but never worry about getting it down to the bare metal as there is no need.

Archived