SASS Wire Forum

HAT COLOR

I recently got a new used hat. After seeing it in better light I have decided that I don't like the color and was wondering if there is a way to make it fade substantially or to dye to a new color. Any experience or ideas that might help?

50/50 blend of what?

Do you want it lighter or darker?

What color is it now?

Perhaps selling it and buying what you really want is a better option?

How about a pic and a little more info?  What kind and type of felt and what color it is now are important factors!!

Get the hat wet, then use an air brush to apply the color dye of your choice. Let it dry and spray it with laundry starch until pliable. Shape it how you want. Let it dry and spray it with semi gloss poly urethane. Semi gloss not high gloss, important. Let it dry, it is now colorfast and water resistant. Note: do not spray anything inside the crown(where your head goes).

What do you mean by 50/50 felt beaver? Hats are made of felt. Whether it's beaver, rabbit, nutria, dog, or sheep, it's all felt. Unless it's straw or plastic.

I've got three hats. One is 100% South American hare, and the other two are fifty-fifty beaver and hare.

Once upon a time I had a wool felt hat. After getting fur felt hats, I threw that wool hat in the garbage.

"Perhaps selling it and buying a different one" sometimes is not always a great plan. My first hat is a 50% beaver Stetson I bought it at a thrift shop for $6.98. My other 50% beaver hat cost somewhere around $300. Selling the $7 hat because it was slightly too small, to buy the $300 hat hurts my Scotch soul. Paying $60 to have it taken down to a blank, cleaned and then rebuilt to fit my head, was a much better plan.

Sunbody -El Charro. Less than $100 and way more stylish than a simple felt hat, you will have lots of friends in a sudden rainstorm, never loose rifle brass

Imis  as he basks in admiration of his hat 

1 minute ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Sunbody -El Charro. Less than $100 and way more stylish than a simple felt hat, you will have lots of friends in a sudden rainstorm, never loose rifle brass

Imis  as he basks in admiration of his hat 

I have a couple of Sunbody hats but not that particular model. Since the top of my head is sparse when it comes to insulating hair a felt hat for the cooler months is needed.

On February 21, 2019 at 9:21 AM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

There aren't many hats to day that are 50/50 felt beaver. it its 10% beaver you're doing good. I think the best option is buy another hat the color u want.

I'm too old and I ain't broke enough to beg, but I'll differ with you on this!!  There ARE several different fur felts available including rabbit, nutria, and beaver.  

Beaver felt hats are generally available in three grades. Standard, which is mostly rabbit, but contains as much as 15% beaver fur. The 50/50 grade, which is 50% beaver mixed with 50% rabbit. This blend offers better resistance to water and holds it's shape better when it DOES get wet.  The third grade is 100% beaver.  It is the top quality felt used in the best felt hats of all kinds, dress, women's, and hess, in cowboy hats!! Pure beaver felt hats are nearly indestructible and are almost totally waterproof.

I have, and have produced and sold beaver felt hats in all three grades.  I've visited the factory in Winchester, Tennessee that makes fur felt hat bodies for many of the hat makers and shapers in this country and all over the world!  It's an amazing process!  Only certain hair fibers can be felted. They must have a barb in their makeup to be used.  Beaver felt is the gold standard.

As to the relative number of 50/50 hats out there, I sold about 30% 50/50s, 60% standards, and 10% 100% pure beaver hats!!  Owning a pure beaver felt hat, I understand why those who can afford them want that level of quality!! If you don't cut it up or burn it, a100% beaver felt hat will last for generations!!

Charlie!!  I'm sending you aPM!

Maybe some day I’ll get a 100% beaver hat........might have to sell a gun or two. :(

15 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe some day I’ll get a 100% beaver hat........might have to sell a gun or two. :(

I know $350 is still expensive, but DBARJ has some 100X Beaver Crappy Hats from time to time. I have a couple of his Crappy versions and can't find anything wrong with them.

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I know $350 is still expensive, but DBARJ has some 100X Beaver Crappy Hats from time to time. I have a couple of his Crappy versions and can't find anything wrong with them.

I will second this. I have one in a Montana style and it is fantastic. I can not see any blemishes. He must have a keen eye.

$350.00 for a 100% hat is a fabulous price these days. Even a blemished hat body is worth twice that if it doesn’t have a massive hole or something like that. I’ve seen hatters on the west coast sell 100% hats for $1,000.00  and much more.  

I would highly recommend that anyone who can find one, be SURE that it’s a pure beaver hat body, and buy it if you can for that kind of price!

Archived