SASS Wire Forum

Problem with my Uberti Highwall

Bitterroot Jake, SASS #9532

I started to do some dryfire practice with Ubiberti Highwall {has double set triggers} a couple days ago but when I pulled the trigger the Hammer did not fall.  tried several times with same result, i pulled the butt stock off and found nothhing loose or broken.  

I cocked the hammer, set the triggers, puled the trigger and they functioned like it was supposed to except when the rear trigger hit the sear it did not trip the hammer.  It seems to me that the trigger is not hitting the sear with enough force to disengage it from the trigger notch.  I can push the rear trigger forward it it will disengage the sear and the hammer will fall, but it seems to take way too much force  to do so.

Any thoughts or suggestion as to what the problem might  be and the cause?   Thanks in advacnce for any and all suggestiions.

This may sound strange and don't laugh

Have you recently cleaned or tighten the side plate screws

Had a similar situation on a second gen colt

As it turned out I had tighten one of the external screws too tight

Brought pressure against "hand" and would not engage

Just a thought 

I am no technician

i had thought of that.  I removed the screws but the problem is still there. I removed the trigger assemly, tried it again by manully tripping the trigger by hand, still seemed way too hard.  reintalled the trigger group and tried it without the side plate screws in, still did not work.

Just curious, my double set Uberti highwall has the rear trigger to set the front trigger and the front trigger is the one that releases the hammer.

The Front trigger is the One to pull to fire the gun !!!

The front trigger will fire the gun with-out being "SET " or with a lighter weight of pull fire the gun when set ....

The rear trigger Should Not under any condition cause the gun to fire .......

Your Explaination was Such that it confused me, and I have been a Smith for 45 + years ...

I'm still not sure what your problem is ....

Jabez Cowboy 

The front trigger is the release trigger when using the rear as a set trigger.

Never seen a double trigger set-up that the rear trigger can't fire, if pulled hard enough.

Both of my Shiloh Sharps will do this.........

OP-When was the last time you did a 'flush & lube' of the innards?

OLG

On the Uberti double set trigger you set the triggers with the rear trigger, when the front trigger is pulled it releases the rear trigger which is "set", as the rear trigger moves back to the forward position an arm on the trigger moves upward hitting bottom of the sear, moving it up and releasing the hammer.  The arm on the rear trigger was not hitting the sear hard enough to dis-engage it from the trigger.  This evening I removed the sear spring and lightened it and now will release as it should( had to remove the spring and lighten it several times before it worked).  This was suggested to me  by the gunsmith who  does work for Cimarron.  If you look on Cimarron's web site in the parts section , look at the diagram of the double set triggers and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all  the responses

Archived