SASS Wire Forum

Reloading on the clock

Shooting Bull

For those of you who say there’s no need to practice this skill because we don’t do it anymore, you couldn’t be more wrong. I just arrived at Winter Range a few hours ago. I’m now going through the Shooter’s Handbook. The very first stage of our national championship has a rifle reload on the clock. Practice this stuff people. You need these skills. ;)

32 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How's the weather look'n there?

Good to here about the reload.

How close at the targets?

OLG

Weather is warm and sunny. I don’t hold out much hope it’ll stay that way. :(

I was too busy flapping my gums. Didn’t even look at target distance.:wacko:

PLUS ONE to Chuckwagon and Shooting Bull (second one).  I find as I've seasoned and mellowed, my ability to kick out live rounds has increased exponentially.  Thus providing more than adequate practice for proficiency reloading  :rolleyes:

PS:  Hey H.K. >> My "Main Match" rifles are Henrys.  Just go over the top.  If something calls for a full reload I'd just giggle and walk away :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PS:  Hey H.K. >> My "Main Match" rifles are Henrys.  Just go over the top.  If something calls for a full reload I'd just giggle and walk away :ph34r:

I've got a Henry too.   One time when I used it, there was a single load reload.   I good naturedly chuckled as I tried to figure out HOW to do an over the top load.   I eventually did, and after practicing a little I can do it efficiently, but that first time was perplexing.

I also have a [real] Spencer.   That is a lot of fun to shoot.

I have little trouble with a reload using my Henry. The secret is to know your weapons.  :D

Reloading is still well & truly in play down -under, always somewhere that will have a one in each pistol or one in the rifle..don't mind them myself & everyone has to do it so all's equal at the end of the day.

I like a rifle or pistol reload every once in a while (single, not full reload)  On the other hand, if a club I shoot at were to go to full pistol reloads that would give me the excuse to buy a schoefield! 

I have read about the pards that denigrate the Henry Big Boy. They know not whereof they speak. They always quote some anonymous source that does not like Henrys. 

Well, here is a public source that thinks that they are great. After decades and many thousands of wart hog loads of Holy Black, I can safely say that no other rifle can take he abuse, remain super accurate and be totally reliable.

Generally, the haters just don't like the shiny brass and the misconception that they are true descendents of B. Tyler Henry's original .44 rim fire design.

GET A LIFE!!!   ^_^

5 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

We still see those often enough 'round here...….it's the pistol reloads that have completely gone away. 

Yep, we still do them about every other month. Reload one and hit the bonus for chance at door prize, (free match) a miss is not a miss. I wish we still did more pistol reloads, I though they were fun, and fairly easy with a little practice. Good Luck:)

4 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I have read about the pards that denigrate the Henry Big Boy. They know not whereof they speak. They always quote some anonymous source that does not like Henrys. 

Well, here is a public source that thinks that they are great. After decades and many thousands of wart hog loads of Holy Black, I can safely say that no other rifle can take he abuse, remain super accurate and be totally reliable.

Generally, the haters just don't like the shiny brass and the misconception that they are true descendents of B. Tyler Henry's original .44 rim fire design.

GET A LIFE!!!   ^_^

I think the 'Haters' are more concerned with how hard it is to get a HBB to run reliably at speed.  The HBB would be a great hog gun, maybe deer as well if I was into that, but is it a great gun to run sub three second 10 round rifle runs in? No, it isn't.

Why not? The Henry Big Boy is just as easy to run fast with a little smoothing as any other lever action rifle. There's no magic in a 19th Century weapon that has it superseding a late 20th Century model.

18 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I have little trouble with a reload using my Henry. The secret is to know your weapons.  :D

I think the secret is knowing the difference between a "Henry" and a Big Boy. 

The poster referencing the challenge of a Henry was referring to a model 1860 rifle without a side ejection port (hence talking about over the top loading).

There is significant difference between throwing a round into the ejection port (ala Marlins or Big Boys) or manipulating the elevator to load thru the top on a 1860.

28 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Why not? The Henry Big Boy is just as easy to run fast with a little smoothing as any other lever action rifle. There's no magic in a 19th Century weapon that has it superseding a late 20th Century model.

I'm going to respectfully differ with you on that.  In eight years of SASS I've never seen someone win a match shooting a Henry Big Boy and I've heard many people mention that they basically can't be made to run as fast as an 1873 or a Marlin. 

ANOTHER "...and I've heard...". I have quite a collection of belt buckles. Now, of course, that's no longer a big deal since lots of times when I show up, I'm told "do you want the trophy anyway or would you like to shoot?" There's a lot to be said about outliving your competitors!!!  :D

I have a "replica "original" Henry. It is a bear to reload on the clock. Lots of pards also dump on the Henry Big Boys but really have no clue about them. The Big Boys can be reloaded well with a little practice.

I have been using Big Boys in .357, .44 Rem. Magnum and .45 Colt for years. I have won long distance pistol caliber lever rifle side matches with the .44. . My main match rifle since the turn of the century has been the .45 Colt Big Boy with success using wart hog loads of Holy Black.

Although I am a handgun elk and deer hunter, I do have some rifles including the .35 Remington caliber Marlin that I purchased as a teenager. As a member of an "Idaho Heritage Ranch"family, I have enjoyed shooting just about all of the "famous" lever action rifles as well as shotguns primarily in 8 gauge and, of course semi auto and double 10 gauge Magnums. For CAS, I use .45 Colt BP in my revolvers and in my Big Boy and BP 10 magnums in my cut down double. Since, I have been lucky enough to own and to shoot lots of different guns, the ones that I use in SASS ARE THE ONES THAT WORK FOR ME!!! As an aside, I bought the .35 because all of my contemporaries just blindly went for .30-30s. I looked at the ballistics and chose a different drum, the .35 Remington!!!   :-)  

Even more aside, I built and raced Buick straight 8 engines. That was when my contemporaries waxed eloquent over Chevvies. Well, one of my engines won the drag race championship.

ANYONE, can tag along with a popular rumour about anything without a shred of fact!!!   :-)

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Piece of cake. back in the early days in the Northeast we used only one revolver Duelist only and had to do a full reload and then shoot with the off hand .

OH, all while kneeling behind a barrel with both eyes closed with 3 ft. of snow barefoot. So suck it up. :P :FlagAm:

57 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I have a "replica "original" Henry. It is a bear to reload on the clock. Lots of pards also dump on the Henry Big Boys but really have no clue about them. The Big Boys can be reloaded well with a little practice.

I have been using Big Boys in .357, .44 Rem. Magnum and .45 Colt for years. I have won long distance pistol caliber lever rifle side matches with the .44. . My main match rifle since the turn of the century has been the .45 Colt Big Boy with success using wart hog loads of Holy Black.

Although I am a handgun elk and deer hunter, I do have some rifles including the .35 Remington caliber Marlin that I purchased as a teenager. As a member of an "Idaho Heritage Ranch"family, I have enjoyed shooting just about all of the "famous" lever action rifles as well as shotguns primarily in 8 gauge and, of course semi auto and double 10 gauge Magnums. For CAS, I use .45 Colt BP in my revolvers and in my Big Boy and BP 10 magnums in my cut down double. Since, I have been lucky enough to own and to shoot lots of different guns, the ones that I use in SASS ARE THE ONES THAT WORK FOR ME!!! As an aside, I bought the .35 because all of my contemporaries just blindly went for .30-30s. I looked at the ballistics and chose a different drum, the .35 Remington!!!   :-)  

Even more aside, I built and raced Buick straight 8 engines. That was when my contemporaries waxed eloquent over Chevvies. Well, one of my engines won the drag race championship.

ANYONE, can tag along with a popular rumour about anything without a shred of fact!!!   :-)

You mean other than the fact that of all the matches I’ve shot, 400 or so, not one has been won by anyone shooting a HBB.

Please, name one match above club level that was won by someone shooting a HBB. One State, Regional, National, or World Champion who won overall shooting   a HBB.

48 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Has tp be carried to the line on your body. You can then stage it but you can only do so AFTER the beep. 

Interesting.  Thanks.  The rare reloads I've seen lately at club matches have allowed staging.   Pards that aren't speed demons and jacking rounds out all the time often do not ever need (or practice) reloads from the body, and they stage the round for required reloads, so they might fumble one at a big match if they did have to reload from the body.

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I think he just generally felt sorry for anyone shooting a henry.  Reload or no reload. 

Nope.   I felt sorry for anyone having to do a reload with a Henry.   One round isn't too bad once you learn how to lower the carrier, which is actually pretty simple, but if you've never done it, it will confuse you the first time.   Doing a full reload on a Henry would take more than a little time, especially if you don't have a table or other prop to place it on.  Loading one of these vintage designs is enough of a chore at the loading table.  Doing it mid stage would be... exasperating.   At least, to me it would.  

Strange loading process aside, no way I could feel sorry for someone shooting a Henry.  The action is pretty much identical to the 66 and 73, and I doubt anyone would feel sorry for someone shooting one of those. 

5 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

GET A LIFE!!!   ^_^

Uhm, where did this come from?    I mentioned the Henry, not the Henry Big Boy.   Two very different animals.    And I have a life, so please don't shout at me to get one.  :rolleyes:

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nope.   I felt sorry for anyone having to do a reload with a Henry.   One round isn't too bad once you learn how to lower the carrier, which is actually pretty simple, but if you've never done it, it will confuse you the first time.   Doing a full reload on a Henry would take more than a little time, especially if you don't have a table or other prop to place it on.  Loading one of these vintage designs is enough of a chore at the loading table.  Doing it mid stage would be... exasperating.   At least, to me it would.  

Strange loading process aside, no way I could feel sorry for someone shooting a Henry.  The action is pretty much identical to the 66 and 73, and I doubt anyone would feel sorry for someone shooting one of those. 

H.K. Found some 32/20 new unfired brass WANT THEM??  FREE

Archived