SASS Wire Forum

Nipple Covers?

July Smith

Now that I have your attention...  Do they make snap caps or nipple covers to allow you to safely dry fire a ball and cap pistol?  I'd like to be able to get more dry fire practice in, but don't want to have to completely remove all the nipples every time.

Before all the jokes start filling up this thread, I would suggest you look into Vinyl Vacuum Cap / screw protectors, that you can trim down to fit over your nipples.

4805F-1.jpg.2e554e3130fc088cceea7bc8acedb464.jpg

They can be found in the hardware section of most hardware stores.

48 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Nipple covers? Isn't that what a bra is for?

While work in the bar with dancers we called them pasties...Some came with tassels...Good dancers could go both directions....

But I guess this not what we are looking for...Just remembering my younger days....

Texas Lizard

Let us remember the Hammer on a Cap Gun needs enough forward travel to reset the Bolt.  When making little nipple covers, ya gotta allow for that forward travel.  Eventually, the title plastic thingie will get pounded down and the hammer will whack the nipple (bad juju).

If you absolutely MUST dry fire you Cap Guns (not recommended anyway) take a few extra minutes and pull the nipples.  No matter what you do, eventually, damage will occur.

I had a friend that practiced firing his 1858 Remington.  He removed the cylinder and hung a bag filled with a small amount of lead on the frame to simulate the weight lost when the cylinder was removed.  Dry firing without the hammer falling on the nipple didn’t seam to bother the gun any.

If guns or funds are available, I recommend using cartridge pistols of comparable frame size and function.   I use my OMVs for dry fire and range time instead of my ROAs.

IMHO, why challenge the functionality of the pistols you plan to compete with if there is a chance of accelerated wear and or damage?

best of luck

11 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

While work in the bar with dancers we called them pasties...Some came with tassels...Good dancers could go both directions....

But I guess this not what we are looking for...Just remembering my younger days....

Texas Lizard

Though I have never seen such, I have heard the big boys talk about it!

Blackfoot:ph34r:

Amazon has them by the buttload.  Pretty cheap, too.

Nipple Covers, Women Disposable Flower Shaped Nipple Covers - 12 Pairs (24 pads) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DX2L2H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.fWBCbQ4TVQXS

Go on, you know you want to.

I seem to recall reading a number of years ago that on a properly set up cap gun, the hammer doesn't actually hit the cones.  There should be a very small space, small enough to hit and set off the cap but not hit the cone.  So it is a tight set of specs, but if yours was like that dryfiring would be no problem as far as the cones are concerned.  Maybe?

I used plastic hose for a fish tank air pump.  find the inside diameter that will fit over the nipple securely and cut to a length that will protect the nipple but let the hammer fall properly.  throw them away and cut more after a while.  Might cost you a dollar.

On the other subject in this thread, I once saw a young lady in a land far away, spin those things in opposite directions at the same time, then switch both to the other direction (while they were on fire).  Impressive!

Chancy

2 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

On the other subject in this thread, I once saw a young lady in a land far away, spin those things in opposite directions at the same time, then switch both to the other direction (while they were on fire).  Impressive!

Chancy

Is that what you call hot XXXX....

Texas Lizard

I’m thinking real serious about taken up C&B shooting just to see all the nipple covers folks are talking about. :D

I use the Pink Fuel line cut to length the Polymar Tubing used in Snowmobiles ... Buy by the Foot ...

I find they last for about 200 hammer strikes each ...

Jabez Cowboy

Ok, this is gonna be pretty long so hang with me. The good news is snap caps can be made. Bad news is it is a lengthy process AND you will have to remove your caps each time. First step: buy a set of slix nipples or track of the wolf stainless replacement  nipples. Keep your factory nipples to make your snap caps. Make a jig to hold nipple.FB_IMG_1550834137918.thumb.jpg.c9df81d0a66f46ef0140072fffb58971.jpgmake a jig to hold nipple. Just a plate threaded to hold nipple.FB_IMG_1550834148980.thumb.jpg.686e4c2b23a699c9f55277fe39712f2b.jpgput nipple in jig and slip on fish tank aeration hoseFB_IMG_1550834166968.thumb.jpg.5f8ec8216136e7c95787a2d1503ef2e8.jpgcut hose flush with top of nipple and remove cut peice for later use.FB_IMG_1550834156946.thumb.jpg.8178a48b18a7fbd36f915f0b2847f74f.jpguse an end mill and cut .060 off of nipple.FB_IMG_1550834172182.thumb.jpg.c1fd409cdc7c8d41e2b50075835c2f39.jpgput plastic sleeve on nipple.FB_IMG_1550834178635.thumb.jpg.b87386d7e330750fdd0f4cb3a8a7e172.jpgfill with rtv silicone.wipe off excessFB_IMG_1550834192181.thumb.jpg.e7131723d119fd327466920982dba179.jpgwipe off excess and allow to set up for 24 hrs. Put in cylinders and enjoy. The plastic will eventually split out. Just rip it off and put on a new one  and refill with rtv.

22 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I seem to recall reading a number of years ago that on a properly set up cap gun, the hammer doesn't actually hit the cones.  There should be a very small space, small enough to hit and set off the cap but not hit the cone.  So it is a tight set of specs, but if yours was like that dryfiring would be no problem as far as the cones are concerned.  Maybe?

On my brass frame 36 Navies the face of the hammer has been adjusted so that it doesn’t contact the nipples when dry fired.  The hammer does contact the cap when it falls and fires reliably.  I have no way of measuring how much clearance there is but it looks like only a couple of thousandths or so.  The curved face of the hammer bottoms out on the frame below the hammer face.

They have been dry fired probably a hundred thousand times with no ill effects on the nipples.  This does not apply to springs, screws and pawls.  But they still shoot just fine with the original nipples.

Archived