SASS Wire Forum

Left in the dark! What to do?

So we have the occasional rabbit, opossum or armadillo invade our fenced in back yard.

Before we let our two girls out to do their jobs, we check to make sure the "coast is clear".

Last night, this check revealed a rabbit.

Went back into the house, advised my wife who proceeded to get the flashlight while I retrieved my Henry .22 rifle.

We were fortunate that the rabbit had not moved from when I initially spotted it, and after I had gotten as close as I could without spooking it, my wife shone the flashlight on the rabbit while I lined up the sights on my Henry. (NOTE: We also have a halogen light in the back yard that provided initial lighting)

Here was my dilemma: Even with the halogen light and the flashlight, I could not accurately get the sights aligned as the area I was standing was still in the dark.

Needless to say, I fired, the rabbit turned its head and stuck out its tongue before it disappeared into the darkness. 

My wife :wub: called it a "MISS"

My Henry, even with stock sights, is alarmingly accurate (credit the shooter :P); however, this is the only instance I can think of where shooting in the dark was involved.

What changes can I, or should I make to the sights to eliminate this situation and what, if anything, have you done to your Henry .22 to alleviate this issue.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated as I cannot afford another missed opportunity.

My shooting skills will become fodder for the varmint community. :blush:

1812877564_Rabbitstickingtongueout.png.331e6369fcca2ab773429277c15f3386.png

Next time you could have your wife stand behind you, slightly to the side, so your rifle will be in the cone of light. That should give you view of your sights. Otherwise you’ll have to modify the rifle with a laser or night sites, which I assume you use for SASS side matches and probably dont want to do that. There are some clamp on lights that you can get. 

One ptoblem is going from a lighted house into the dark. Your eyes need time to adjust.

Take a piece of adhesive tape-the white cloth type and run it from your rear sight to the back of the front sight.  Works wonders for an improvised night sight.  And if shooting rabbits at night... a .410 works nicely.

BTW I have a single shot .410 and a partial roll of tape for sale. :D

12 gauge coach gun with Holy Black.

Even if you miss with the shot column, you might cook the varmint.

5 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Take a piece of adhesive tape-the white cloth type and run it from your rear sight to the back of the front sight.  Works wonders for an improvised night sight. 

That'll work.

25 with a white stripe. Makes it extremely easy to see - daylight or dark.

Astra sight stripe.jpg

Fire Sights were the best solution for my 22.  They would look like a pig in spats on a Henry.  I didn't find Williams Fire Sights for Henry.  HiViz makes dovetail fiber optic sights for Henry.  They also have a magnetic sight so you could remove it for matches.

Or leave your Henry alone and wear a headband lamp.  That will light up your factory sights.  It will also ensure there is light where you're looking rather than wjere the wife is looking.

1 minute ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If shooting in a suburban area, please be aware of what is beyond your target.

Dutch:

Thanks for the reminder.

Fortunately we live in an unincorporated area of Lake County.

All shots are aimed downward at grass for safety reasons and clear of any possible ricochets.

One day the underground sprinkler system will come on and it will leak like a sieve. :blink:

<trolling>IF the gun is properly sighted in AND the sights are lined up properly WHEN the bullet leaves the barrel THEN you'll hit your intended target. </trolling>

Seems to me one of those conditions was not met when you took that shot.

32 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Just run the rabbit out of  the yard if the dogs are not able to handle the job. 

Blackfoot:)

I took it as being concerned about dogs making a meal of said rabbit, or bolting and running in chase.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I looked up Florida Regs and came up with

you can’t twap wabbits so you gotta choot ‘em.

Of couwse you can twap 'em.

But weg-hoads is iwegaw, so you gotta use a wive twap.

Dat's da bestest way. When dey's in da wive twap, you can get weawwy cwose to 'em, and dat makes it so much easiew to choot 'em.

8 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

<trolling>IF the gun is properly sighted in AND the sights are lined up properly WHEN the bullet leaves the barrel THEN you'll hit your intended target. </trolling>

Seems to me one of those conditions was not met when you took that shot.

Doc:

You are correct.

The condition in RED as I could not see both sights well enough to line them up.

1 hour ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Just run the rabbit out of  the yard if the dogs are not able to handle the job. 

Blackfoot:)

Blackfoot:

Squirrel, Armadillo, Rabbit and Opossum are the primary culprits to our yard bringing in fleas and ticks. :angry:

Our two girls are AKC registered American Cocker Spaniels and although they are a member of the Sporting Group we prefer they not tangle with wild animals, especially with the possible threat of rabies. :o

A rabbit run out of the yard will return later, whereas a dead rabbit will not. :D

I quit fooling around a long time ago with the squirrels and dillers. 12ga all the way. Don't use the Holy for often a 2nd shot thru 6th is needed for the over the wall invasion. Sometimes even a reload is needed.

8 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

I quit fooling around a long time ago with the squirrels and dillers. 12ga all the way. Don't use the Holy for often a 2nd shot thru 6th is needed for the over the wall invasion. Sometimes even a reload is needed.

Smoken D:

My main concern with a shotgun is the noise. :o

Still trying to be courteous to neighbors that will hear any loud gun shot. <_<

The closest neighbor to me complained years ago when I was using a 22 revolver. :angry:

The Henry rifle is much quieter :wub:,  just a few decibels above a BB gun. 

14 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Build a new fence like this. We had it custom made so the cats couldn't get through it. So, only small critters, only babies of those you mention could get in.

Ms. Allie Mo:

Still trying to acquire funding to build the wall fence! :P

Actually we already have a fence which is chain link.

Squirrels use the giant oak tree branches to breach the yard. :ph34r:

Armadillos dig under the fence. :angry:

Rabbits, if you can believe it, can actually squeeze through the chain link fence! :o

28 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's pretty amazing going thru the chain link fence:lol:

Eyesa:

And that's in slow motion. :o

I have seen them run at full steam, hit the fence with a resounding "clang" and they're through the fence.

First time I saw it happen, it was so fast that they seemed to merely disappear on the other side of the fence. :ph34r:

Figured it was one of those bunny's the magician pulls out of it's top hat. :P

Now you see me, now you don't.

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Smoken D:

The closest neighbor to me complained years ago when I was using a 22 revolver. :angry:

Bummer, out here in the kountry ya don't worry about that. 

Yep, I've seen them bunnies fly through a chain link before. Have a few around here the fox or cougar ain't caught. Not enough of them for me to worry, me dog takes care of that.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Ms. Allie Mo:

Still trying to acquire funding to build the wall fence! :P

Actually we already have a fence which is chain link.

Squirrels use the giant oak tree branches to breach the yard. :ph34r:

Armadillos dig under the fence. :angry:

Rabbits, if you can believe it, can actually squeeze through the chain link fence! :o

We put chicken wire fence on the outside of the chainlink to stop those little pests.  No Armadillos here.

19 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

12 gauge coach gun with Holy Black.

Even if you miss with the shot column, you might cook the varmint.

I agree, a two barrel shootin' gun would have done the trick on that pesky varmint. 

6 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Smoken D:

Just remember, you should periodically shoot off a gun in your neighborhood, it helps keep the property values down,

"i.e." keeps the taxes lower!!

Archived