SASS Wire Forum

Sharps rifle-changing trigger pull

oldpucker10

I have a C. Sharps rifle in 45-70 that I need to lighten up the trigger pull, but can't find any instructions on the model that I have. It's a single trigger. And has a safety on it that I have to move in order for the hammer to hit the firing pin. Pat date is Oct 5th 1852.

sharps safety on.JPG

sharps safety off.JPG

Well if C. Sharps is building guns that look like that, I'm glad I have a Shiloh.  That looks like an Italian gun, perhaps the Pedretti.  Might start there for searching for trigger adjustment.

That crude safety doesn't look like it would be on a C. Sharps rifle of any grade

C. Sharps is a premium brand made in the US.  Multiple Italian gun makers have built copies.  Pedretti is the one that comes to mind as I have had one with a safety of that type.  I do not believe the trigger has any built in adjustment, so it comes down to polishing, recutting sear, adjusting spring though careful thinning.  It is not a task that is for the faint of heart!  A good smith should be able to lighten and smooth it up fairly inexpensively.

\

3 hours ago, oldpucker10 said:

Yes, It was made in Italy

Then it is not a C. Sharps rifle made in Montana.

Who did make the rifle?

What model Sharps?

Being a single trigger-Best find a 'smith to do it.

What's the pull weight now?

OLG

"C Sharps" was Christian Sharps, the inventor of the Sharps Rifle. 

"C Sharps" was stamped on the original rifles, and has appeared on many reproductions by companies other than C. Sharps Arms, Inc, of  Big Timber, Montana.  Including many Italian made rifles.  

Give Lee Shaver a call. 

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

As others have said, what you need done is not easy, and a mistake could lead to a dangerous trigger. 

Lee is a real nice guy who specializes in the older rifles. If anybody can help you, it’s him. 

IAB is hasn't been made in 10+yrs, and there are no parts available.

They are not well thought of in the world of BPCR shooting.

They were well known for 'soft'  parts.

X2 on Lee Shaver-Call him.

OLG

I had a Sile Sharps in 45-70 40 yrs ago. It had a 58 sharps hammer. It also had the safety that engaged when you ejected the spent cartridge.

It was a very accurate rifle.

Wood to metal fit was very good.

The trigger was terrible. You can take the hammer spring out and take some metal off  the sides.

That will improve the trigger. 

Archived