SASS Wire Forum

New Vaqueros Not Cocking At Times

Cholla

I just got two new, New Vaquero Bisleys. I was working the actions on both and they have issues not cocking. It's like something is keeping the hammer from going back. If I release the hammer and try again it usually works, but sometimes not. One does it frequently, the other is less frequent. It took two months to get them in so I loathe sending them back if it's a simple fix.

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

I just got two new, New Vaquero Bisleys. I was working the actions on both and they have issues not cocking. It's like something is keeping the hammer from going back. If I release the hammer and try again it usually works, but sometimes not. One does it frequently, the other is less frequent. It took two months to get them in so I loathe sending them back if it's a simple fix.

I had the same problem with both of my New Vaquero when they were new.  One wouldn't cock, right out of the box, and the other developed the problem about six months later, when I accidentally knocked it off the table with my elbow,  while cleaning it. 

In both cases, the hammer plunger pin was broken, and the lower half of the pin slid down and jambed the hammer so it wouldn't withdraw far enough for the sear to engage. 

Hammer plunger pins are relatively cheap and easy to replace if you're familiar with the disassembly procedure.  You can see the cylindrical plunger by looking down into the throat between the hammer and transfer bar.  If it doesn't appear perfectly aligned with the hammer shaft, then it is broken.  

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

It took two months to get them in so I loathe sending them back

Ruger is usually VERY fast on repairs.  These being factory new, I'd send them back and they'll make them right.  

If you have any after-market parts, take them off!  Even grips.....

Good luck, GJ

Yup.

If the cylinder pin is working, do as Lumpy says.  Take the cylinder out and just put the pin back in.  If it cocks properly, it is not the cylinder pin.

If that works, watch the hand or pawl that turns the cylinder.  Is it come out properly?

There is a little spring that should make certain that the hand is moving as it should. Part 39.

https://www.midwayusa.com/schematics/ruger-single-action-revolver

To investigate the cylinder pin more closely, take out the cylinder pin.  Check the little pin at the end to be sure it is moving in and out.  And has a little bit of spring pressure to bring it out.  Very little spring pressure is needed.

If it is not working, I would call Ruger and ask for a new cylinder pin.

Also, is the cylinder lock working?

If you can use a small punch or piece of wire to slightly depress the firing pin to level with the back surface of the frame, and can THEN cock successfully, you probably have a bad transfer bar or center pin/spring in the base pin.   Some transfer bars are too tight to the frame, and flattened on the end.  Then a weak spring in the base pin, or a failure to keep the base pin locked in with the base pin lock, leads to inability to cock the gun.

Simplest problem, if it's just a flat end on the tip of transfer bar  - you could file a bevel on the top forward-facing end of the transfer bar to let it get up and over the firing pin.

Good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you can use a small punch or piece of wire to slightly depress the firing pin to level with the back surface of the frame, and can THEN cock successfully, you probably have a bad transfer bar or center pin/spring in the base pin.   Some transfer bars are too tight to the frame, and flattened on the end.  Then a weak spring in the base pin, or a failure to keep the base pin locked in with the base pin lock, leads to inability to cock the gun.

Simplest problem, if it's just a flat end on the tip of transfer bar  - you could file a bevel on the top forward-facing end of the transfer bar to let it get up and over the firing pin.

Good luck, GJ

I had to do this with a transfer bar in a Ruger Bearcat and it fixed the problem.

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Ruger is usually VERY fast on repairs.  These being factory new, I'd send them back and they'll make them right.  

If you have any after-market parts, take them off!  Even grips.....

Good luck, GJ

A lot of great advice above.

I quoted this from GJ because I might add that RUGER will probably send you a shipping label to return

those pistols, especially being new.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Thanks for the advice. The problem seems to be getting better as I break in the action. I'll give it a few more days of cycling the action to see if the problem goes away. If not, they go back to Ruger.

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

Thanks for the advice. The problem seems to be getting better as I break in the action. I'll give it a few more days of cycling the action to see if the problem goes away. If not, they go back to Ruger.

Take the grips off and flush the innards of both guns and then spray lube.

Cycle them while watch'n a long movie......

Good luck!

OLG

Have a pare of RNVs that occasionally locked up as thou the base pin was not working properly. The problem was the little tail on the bottom of the hand was hitting the grip frame. It felt just like the transfer bar getting caught on the fireing pin and not allowing the hammer to retract. A few strokes on a stone shortened the tail enough to allow the action to function smoothly. 

Ruger puts a stake or chisel mark in the grip frame for the tail to fit into. Pretty crude!

Now that I think of it, my wife had a similar problem. Seemed that if I loosened one of the screws on the grip frame it worked.We were sending them off to Jimmy Spurs for an action job, so we told him about it. Maybe call Jimmy and talk to him.

I'll bet if you took them apart and looked you could see a mark where the hand tail was hitting the grip frame. I could see a mark on the edge of the stake slot Ruger put in the frame. One revolver was completely inoperable when I installed lighter springs. Stoned a little of the tail and the gun works perfectly with the lighter springs.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, Lead Monger said:

Have a pare of RNVs that occasionally locked up as thou the base pin was not working properly. The problem was the little tail on the bottom of the hand was hitting the grip frame. It felt just like the transfer bar getting caught on the fireing pin and not allowing the hammer to retract. A few strokes on a stone shortened the tail enough to allow the action to function smoothly. 

Ruger puts a stake or chisel mark in the grip frame for the tail to fit into. Pretty crude!

Had the same problem,but used a small file. 

2 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Jimmy Spurs is preparing my new set of NMVs. I would hope to not experience this issue

You shouldn't. Jimmy fixed the problem we had.

I have a set of New Vaqueros race ready from Jimmy Spurs and they are fantastic. My brother Ripple has all of his guns slicked up by Jimmy as well. Jimmy does gret work and really is a strong proponent of SASS.

Archived