SASS Wire Forum

Advise for a newby on revolvers

Reloading Rob

Howdy Pards,

I'm a new guy to this and I'm sure this debate has been on going, but I was wondering if there were colt replicas( uberti, cimarron, taylors) worth getting over ruger vaqueros? I know Rugers are worth the money but I was wondering if there was any of the other models worth a look? Thank you in advance.

EMF Great Western II made by Pietta. I really, really like the Californian version(pretty slick out of the box), but the Alchimista I, II, and III’s are good too. 

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Californian-c65.htm

Oh, Welcome to the best game there is and the Wire!

Also Taylor’s,  Cimarron and EMF  are importers. The import the Uberti’s and/ or Pietta made guns. Personally I’d stay away from the new Uberti’s as they have retractable firing pins. 

Well I run a sporting goods store and we sell both Rugers and colt replicas and they both fit my hand very well. I'll be going to a shoot next weekend if the snow isnt to deep and I'll do some talking. 

Great westerns are great guns. Don’t discount the new ubertis either. They stepped up their game recently in regards to quality, fit and finish. Many options to choose from as well. 

Personal preference.  Pros and cons of each. Get to a match.  Talk to people and ask them why they like what they are using.  Then try out different gear.

8 hours ago, Reloading Rob said:

Howdy Pards,

I'm a new guy to this and I'm sure this debate has been on going, but I was wondering if there were colt replicas( uberti, cimarron, taylors) worth getting over ruger vaqueros? I know Rugers are worth the money but I was wondering if there was any of the other models worth a look? Thank you in advance.

There is Ruger ! 

Then there is everything else .

Just Sayin .

Rooster 

The longevity of the Cimarrons is the same as the longevity of every other Uberti sold by every other importer although some here have had issues with warranty and follow up from Cimarron. The last thread addressing that was closed. EMF is the outlier in that they import Pietta revolvers, purported by many here to be a closer replica of the Colt and also very well regarded by cowboys an gunsmiths alike. Roogers are a replica of something that never existed, also very highly regarded for their ability to take a beating, their many options for modification and customer service from the manufacturer. People either love them or not. I am indifferent to them but get beat by Rooger shooters at every shoot. If I were buying new I’d buy EMF California IIs. You will get lots of conflicting advice here. The consistent advice is to get to a shoot and get as many pistols in your hands as you can.

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

The feel of the gun in your hand is paramount. If it does not feel comfortable you probably won't shoot it well. 

This right here. Rugers never felt right to me, no matter how many pairs of grips I went through. Maybe they would feel better shooting two handed, but gunfighter or duelist they just feel wrong to me. I also have small hands so that could be it. In all walks of shooting life, I have seen some really great shooters with what folks would consider cheap or inferior guns and some people that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with super high end guns. If it don't feel right, it ain't the gun for you. If it does feel right, it don't matter who's name is on it.

2 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

This right here. Rugers never felt right to me, no matter how many pairs of grips I went through. Maybe they would feel better shooting two handed, but gunfighter or duelist they just feel wrong to me. I also have small hands so that could be it. In all walks of shooting life, I have seen some really great shooters with what folks would consider cheap or inferior guns and some people that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with super high end guns. If it don't feel right, it ain't the gun for you. If it does feel right, it don't matter who's name is on it.

+10000000

Same here, so far a pair of USFA Rodeos feel better than anything I own, followed by my open tops. I don't even like the Rugers shooting one or two handed grip.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

+10000000

Same here, so far a pair of USFA Rodeos feel better than anything I own, followed by my open tops. I don't even like the Rugers shooting one or two handed grip.

Rodeos and Open tops? A man with exceptional taste you are indeed sir

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Ditto. My USFAs fit my smaller hand the best out of my four pairs of revolvers (the stock grips are narrower than those on my third gen Colts). In the beginning of cowboy season when I’m rusty I shoot the other ones, as the season progresses and I get my speed back I always default to those USFAs. Everything gets shot during the year though. No point to me in owning something I don’t shoot, even if only occasionally.

What OG said.  Folks at my local clubs were more than happy to give me a go on theirs.  Very helpful.

I was torn between Vaqueros and Evil Roys.  I liked both a lot.  In the end I went with Vaqueros.  They worked really well for me and also have a ton of parts floating around and resale is good if I ever  decide I want something different. 

16 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Great westerns are great guns. Don’t discount the new ubertis either. They stepped up their game recently in regards to quality, fit and finish. Many options to choose from as well. 

Yep GW II by Pietta, Cimarron Frontier by Pietta are really nice, same gun as the GW II but CCH is real and they're slicked up a little. Uberti models with real firing pin, I prefer the grips on the Cimarron Model P. Don't buy anything until you have been to several matches and handled the different models. Get ahold of the match directors, they can often arrange several models to try. Good Luck:)

1 minute ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep GW II by Pietta, Cimarron Frontier by Pietta are really nice, same gun as the GW II but CCH is real and they're slicked up a little. Uberti models with real firing pin, I prefer the grips on the Cimarron Model P. Don't buy anything until you have been to several matches and handled the different models. Get ahold of the match directors, they can often arrange several models to try. Good Luck:)

Which ones have real CCH? Is this documented somewhere? 

The last EMF Californians I bought were slick as snot out of the box.

Yeap,  if I was going to invest $1,000 +/- in a new pair, they would be Pietta.  

I've not seen where if you've mentioned caliber.   If you want 38/357 or 45Colt,  you have a cornucopia of choices.  If you want 44WCF or 38WCF or 32WCF or even 44 Special,   there are hardly any choices of models, finishes or materials.  

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Which ones have real CCH? Is this documented somewhere? 

The last EMF Californians I bought were slick as snot out of the box.

I think you can get them with real CCH (I should say bone and charcoal CCH, as the uberti acid is still real cch) from Cimarron through special order "American finish" option, but I don't believe they come that way standard.

Yeah all of my GW2 have come really nice and slick. A buddy of mine bought a pair through Bud's at a really cheap price, but his had really bad triggers. A very reasonable trigger job from a local smith set them up super nicely though so they are once again top notch. I also like the wood grips on the GW2 much better than the Uberti finish. Plus the GW2 Californian is called Californian haha. We need to get some good gun press out there from this state right? 

I really have no desire to have pretty guns. They get abused. What's the point? My Vaquero's have no blueing left on the back straps, barrels are 50% bare, and so is the ejector rod housing. The left grip is chipped. If I had to replace them I'd buy the ugliest, highest quality guns, for the best price. If they were painted with spray paint I wouldn't care just so they worked as designed. No body I know oohs and aahs about competition guns. I'm concerned about function and how they feel in my hands. My poor rifles and shotguns look like canoe paddles after a couple years.  Maybe, when I get older and less abusive I'll purchase a pair of FA 97's, they fit my hands quite nicely.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yeap,  if I was going to invest $1,000 +/- in a new pair, they would be Pietta.  

I've not seen where if you've mentioned caliber.   If you want 38/357 or 45Colt,  you have a cornucopia of choices.  If you want 44WCF or 38WCF or 32WCF or even 44 Special,   there are hardly any choices of models, finishes or materials.  

Sorry about that. I was going to go with 38spl. I would really like to find some 38-40's but those are very hard to find.

I've been shooting the same pair of Uberti model Ps for close to 19 years.  One flat spring has been replaced during those 19 years.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Reloading Rob said:

Well I run a sporting goods store and we sell both Rugers and colt replicas and they both fit my hand very well. I'll be going to a shoot next weekend if the snow isnt to deep and I'll do some talking. 

Shooting in that part of Oregon you can get with Jedi Knight he shoots down that way and he can be a wealth of knowledge to a new shooter.

On February 20, 2019 at 4:29 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

I've been shooting the same pair of Uberti model Ps for close to 19 years.  One flat spring has been replaced during those 19 years.

Sorta shows just how good these guns really are.

As many have said - ask around,  talk to people. 

My question to you is this: What caliber do you plan on shooting?  If it's a generic .38, or .45 you can find a Ruger.  But if you lean towards .38-40, .44-40, .32, or .44 you may need to see what your options are. 

Good luck in your search. 

BS

if you go with the Rugers, check out the Sass Vaqueros. They are work horses with great mods. With that being said there have been a lot of great suggestions. Love the 4 clicks, gotta get a pair one of these days.

uZgI7ou.jpg

Archived