SASS Wire Forum

How to describe a string?

Red Eye Jim

Assume 5 targets, labeled 1 through 5 left to right.  What do you call the string that goes either 1-5-2-4-3-4-2-5-1-3 or 5-1-4-2-3-2-4-1-5-3 (shooter's choice) in the stage description.

Also, if the second stage set with the same targets is then: "Single tap sweep all five targets starting from either end twice." Should you then clarify both times, or would it better to say: "Single tap sweep all five targets twice starting from either 1 or 5"

outside - outside-inside-inside -middle-inside-inside-outside-outside-middle.

If you want the shooter to cross the center target after each shot, say so, or you might get someone shooting it 1-5-4-2-3.......

Single tap sweep all five targets twice, starting from either end each time

Outside - outside - inside - inside - center - inside - inside - outside - outside - center

Better would be 1-5-2-4-3, 3-2-4-1-5 ( o-o-i-i-c-c-i-i-o-o)

and let your shooters take the shortcut as far as left or right for each of the pairs 

Regards

Gateway Kid

3 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Assume 5 targets, labeled 1 through 5 left to right.  What do you call the string that goes either 1-5-2-4-3-4-2-5-1-3 or 5-1-4-2-3-2-4-1-5-3 (shooter's choice) in the stage description.

Also, if the second stage set with the same targets is then: "Single tap sweep all five targets starting from either end twice."Should you then clarify both times, or would it better to say: "Single tap sweep all five targets twice starting from either 1 or 5"

What do you call the string that goes either 1-5-2-4-3-4-2-5-1-3 or 5-1-4-2-3-2-4-1-5-3,  A "P" Trap.

"Single tap sweep all five targets starting from either end twice."  This sounds fine with no other explanation needed.

Randy

Single tap outside in - then single tap inside out.

This allows shooters to begin on EITHER outside (T1 or T5).

Allows them (after T1 and T5) to proceed to EITHER inside (T2 or T4)

And after T2 and T4 - the middle (T3).

And gives the same options proceeding outward as well.

T3, then EITHER inside (T4 or T2), and after T4 and T2, EITHER T1 or T5 until the string is complete.

If you don't wish to allow the shooters choice.

Single tap outside in then inside out.

No dirty sweep.

This still allows shooters choice of beginning outside target (T1 or T5), but requires a full swing back and forth.

I.e. T1 then T5 then T2 then T4 - lastly T3

Then again T3, then T2 then T4, then T1 then T5.

12 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Single tap outside in - then single tap inside out.

This allows shooters to begin on EITHER outside (T1 or T5).

Allows them (after T1 and T5) to proceed to EITHER inside (T2 or T4)

And after T2 and T4 - the middle (T3).

And gives the same options proceeding outward as well.

T3, then EITHER inside (T4 or T2), and after T4 and T2, EITHER T1 or T5 until the string is complete.

If you don't wish to allow the shooters choice.

Single tap outside in then inside out.

No dirty sweep.

This still allows shooters choice of beginning outside target (T1 or T5), but requires a full swing back and forth.

I.e. T1 then T5 then T2 then T4 - lastly T3

Then again T3, then T2 then T4, then T1 then T5.

A little dirt never hurt anyone. 

I agree with Lumpy. The way you have it written will likely cause a higher than average number of "P's." We do shoot a 1-5-2-4-3 and call it an Outside Iowa Sweep. 3-2-4-1-5 is called an Inside Iowa Sweep.  It appears in one or two matches a year. Not really all that bad, especially if you stage the targets in a slight V shape, leave extra space between targets 2-3-4, height difference, or paint the center target a different color. Also, if shot with pistols, it is gunfighter friendly 1-5-2-4-3-3-2-4-1-5.

Thank you everyone for your input.  If it didn't have a name I was thinking maybe calling it the "Don't Sweep"...

I do think it might take a little thought, but you're likely right that this isn't a sweep for large diverse posies...

Red Eye, I like that you were trying to come up with something different and new and keep things interesting. I think that if you make that small change, you'll be just fine. People often grumble when they first here a new pattern, but once they see someone shoot it, they say, " That easier than I thought." I had a plywood Saloon Girl prop holding playing cards at pistol distance, but shot with the rifle. Boy you should have heard the whining. Most shooters shot the playing cards dead center and had big smiles on their face as they put the cards in their hat band.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

While going thru my "spares" box, I found a REALLY long piece of STRING   :rolleyes:

"How do you define a string?"

It's like a rope, only smaller.

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

While going thru my "spares" box, I found a REALLY long piece of STRING   :rolleyes:

Back to the OP, what is the name of this string

I have never experienced this specific sequence as being a "P" trap.

It is a common sequence in Southern Nevada.

I don't believe anyone has attached any name to it that has stuck.

But simple instructions go a long way in avoiding "P's"

Also available to simplify further...  

Make the sequence a double tap:

Either outside 2x, other outside 2x THEN either inside 2x, other inside 2x THEN middle 2x

or

Middle 2x THEN either inside 2x, other inside 2x THEN either outside 2x, other outside 2x

Archived