SASS Wire Forum

Major Crimes

CH's comment about his skepticism about the Barrett (Side Match Rifle- post) reminded me of my fathers tale of missed opportunity.

My father was a young father with 3 kids in Sydney in the early 70's.

He was looking for work and started as a manager at a new franchise chain that only just started in Australia ( I think the only two in Australia were in Sydney at that stage). He impressed the owner and was offered the opportunity to start up the next store for the owner and eventually have his own.

He turned it down and moved on, "No ones is going to make money out of hamburgers" he said.

He still shudders a bit every time he passes by a McDonald's:D

Any regrets?

Even better (or worse):

When I graduated high school in the late 80's my friend told me he was going to dedicate the first few paychecks of his to buying stock. He was looking at buying shares of a small local company in Redmond that produced computer software. I told him he was nuts to waste his money buying stock for a software developer that would probably go belly-up in a few years.

Guess which software company it was? :unsure:

@Sixgun Sheridan,

Maybe ... 1827310707_MicrosoftLogo.JPG.2b1fdf2067b6e4215201ffa7eb042b50.JPG ; however, whenever I think softwear I think of 183738450_FruitoftheLoomLogo.jpg.8a2c1624627f1385e0c0479ba0af77cb.jpg:blush:

In the mid- 70s I was getting Social Security benefits because my dad was disabled from an industrial accident.   

Sometime in there, I forget the year,  it became legal for Americans to  own gold again.   I wanted to take some of that money and buy krugurands (sp?). I  think they were about $72 each at the time.   My dad wouldn't let me.

My grandfather had a salvage store in Birmingham Alabama.  It took up multiple blocks in downtown and when I-65 was run through, it was taken by the feds and he was paid a small percentage of the true value, but it was still a large sum of money for the time.  He was offered the rights to a McDonald's franchise either for the state or the region and turned it down.

Just think. . . I could have been rich instead of good looking.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In the mid- 70s I was getting Social Security benefits because my dad was disabled from an industrial accident.   

Sometime in there, I forget the year,  it became legal for Americans to  own gold again.   I wanted to take some of that money and buy krugurands (sp?). I  think they were about $72 each at the time.   My dad wouldn't let me.

This probably wont make you feel any better about it:P

How much is a Gold Krugerrand worth in dollars? Prices of Gold Krugerrands in U.S. Dollars were over $1,900 in September 2011 and traded under $1,100 at the end of 2015. In recent years, Gold Krugerrands have been worth $1,275on average.

22 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

This probably wont make you feel any better about it:P

How much is a Gold Krugerrand worth in dollars? Prices of Gold Krugerrands in U.S. Dollars were over $1,900 in September 2011 and traded under $1,100 at the end of 2015. In recent years, Gold Krugerrands have been worth $1,275on average.

Yeah, I've kind of followed the price.  (shrug)

A family friend went to work at a small store in the late 50s.  It was a mom and pop style store, but the owner had grand plans.  The owner offered to buy and supply several other stores, and make a select group of trusted employees, including our friend, a manager and stock holder.  He declined, and returned to our home town and bought a sporting goods store, where he's made a comfortable living.  

The small store owner was Sam Walton, and every employee who took him up on that first offer is now a multi millionaire, mostly due to the stock options that came with those first stores.  

I don’t have any stories of grand wealth that I missed out on but I do for lesser opportunities. 

Like;

The Shiloh Sharps I could have had for $425.00 but walked away to think about.

Checking the “No” box on my reenlistment papers and declining the offer of OCS. I often wondered where that would have taken me. That worked out well, though. My wife stayed with me and we have been happily married for nearly 39 years.

I passed up on a NIB S&W 586 for $235 because I didn’t want to tick my wife off. Yes, I have made sacrifices in marriage. ;)

I had a supervisor ride herd on me to get my engineering degree. I sometimes wish I would have listened to him. 

I could go on but my stories pale in comparison to the McD’s and Microsoft stories.

While stationed in Germany, I applied for, and was accepted, for Special Operation Group.  Only problem was, unbeknownst to me, I was already on orders to Ft. Ord and would need to complete a year at that post and then re-apply for admission.  In that year, my knees were totally ruined and I ended up out on a medical discharge.  Thirty-one years later,  I sometimes wonder how my life would have been different.  But, then again, there's a few things in there that I wouldn't have missed for the world.  

Archived