SASS Wire Forum

Thin Grindable Recoil Pad?

David Balthazar

Where to buy a thin grindable recoil pad?  Looking for a half inch or less grindable pad that can me made to look reasonable on CAS rifle and shotgun. 

(As an aside, does someone have an extra walnut stock (cut or uncut) for an Uberti 1873)?

I usually use the Pachmayr SC-100 pad, 0.8" thick, that is grind-to-fit, for an application where absorbing recoil is desired but not mandatory.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/universal/sc100-decelerator-recoil-pad-prod9728.aspx

It's a solid pad (no vents, which look rather silly on a cowboy gun), but has a hard plastic insert at the top edge (the heel) for a real fast mount.  And the surface texture of the pad is pebbled, not aggressively ribbed or grooved.   Secure on shoulder, but very fast to mount.

If you want to absorb more shotgun recoil, then use a thicker grind-to-fit Kick-Eez pad.

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/dual-action-recoil-pad/

Is a good design for cowboy shotguns.

Good luck, GJ

My smith is looking at those Kick Eez, but thinks they have metal in them? 

I am going for and 11 inch cut, .5 inch more by the pad for and 11.5 LOP on an 1897 pump.  He does not know if it can grind down that far (He has a 1 inch that does, but i don't want that look due to the taper of the stock- even though it will eventually be covered with leather).

At the end of the day with leather piece I am looking for an 11.7 some odd LOP.  Then the same with my 1873...

12 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

My smith is looking at those Kick Eez, but thinks they have metal in them? 

I am going for and 11 inch cut, .5 inch more by the pad for and 11.5 LOP on an 1897 pump.  He does not know if it can grind down that far (He has a 1 inch that does, but i don't want that look due to the taper of the stock- even though it will eventually be covered with leather).

At the end of the day with leather piece I am looking for an 11.7 some odd LOP.  Then the same with my 1873...

The Pachmayer Old English pads come in different sizes and thicknesses. Pick the size closest to your stock dimensions in the thickness you desire,  I have fitted 6 to various CAS shotguns with no issues. Sanded all 6 to fit with an orbital palm sander

My smith is looking at those Kick Eez, but thinks they have metal in them 

There is no metal in them.  Read the Kick Eez web site.   All sorbothane, except for a hard plastic base plate.  Fully grindable.

I just pulled one out of my stock room and ran magnet all over it.  No steel.   Examined the base plate - its solid hard urethane plastic, no metal even at the screw mounting holes.    

I'd suggest you work with a gunsmith who knows recoil pads!  If he does not know if the SMALL grind to fit pad will grind down to that very short LOP stock, he can call the KickEez fellows and talk with them!    You really are doing something that is a little out of the ordinary stock fitting.

BTW - if you are fitting this for a youth gun, keep the saw-off piece so you can extend the stock in a year or two when a growth spurt hits!  Looks much better if you have the original stock wood rather than a somewhat matching piece of scrap stock.

Good luck, GJ

Archived