SASS Wire Forum

getting into Single action shooting and black powder ,was wondering if this is a conversion safe revolver?

Ram111

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-revolvers/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/567338580/pietta-navy-steel-cal-bp-revolver/2359036.uts?slotId=7

im looking for something that can do both, iT is a steel frame so to my understanding its good, but i just want to make sure and be safe! and from what i have read steel frame is good!, 

RAM, if you get a Howell conversion, Taylor's conversion or a Kirst conversion you can most certainly shoot smokless ammo! It's one of the main reasons for their availability, the convience of shooting "ready made" smokless ammo. If you'll go to their respective websites, you'll see what the restrictions are for them, I believe the Kirst allows any "standard", lead (no +P loads) 1st tier 45C ammo ( 1000 fps or less ).  You'll enjoy them immensely!!   Converted revolvers are all I shoot!!

Mike

Richards Mason conversions address BP and cartridge and are available new in the box ready to go. This pair is in 45 Schofield, and shoot great with BP or smokeless! :)

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ram111 said:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-revolvers/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/567338580/pietta-navy-steel-cal-bp-revolver/2359036.uts?slotId=7

im looking for something that can do both, iT is a steel frame so to my understanding its good, but i just want to make sure and be safe! and from what i have read steel frame is good!, 

7 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

RAM, if you get a Howell conversion, Taylor's conversion or a Kirst conversion you can most certainly shoot smokless ammo! It's one of the main reasons for their availability, the convience of shooting "ready made" smokless ammo. If you'll go to their respective websites, you'll see what the restrictions are for them, I believe the Kirst allows any "standard", lead (no +P loads) 1st tier 45C ammo ( 1000 fps or less ).  You'll enjoy them immensely!!   Converted revolvers are all I shoot!!

Mike

What Mike said!  Just be sure your ammo is labeled "Cowboy Ammo" which basically means it'll give you under 1,000fps muzzle velocity and an all lead bullet.  That'll allow you run it at any Cowboy Action Shooting match.  

yer good ta go!

4 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks for setting me straight about the smokeless ammo in conversions.  Where did I read that?  Where did I get that idea?

Brass frames are a no-go with smokeless, maybe that's what you were thinking.

Cartridge conversions are a great way to go.   Assuming steel frame revolvers, you can shoot light smokeless rounds in them.   Basically, anything okay for use is SASS is okay for such a revolver.   Higher performance stuff, such as +P or high end handloads is not a good idea.  With one *possible* exception that I'll cover later.

To date, I have the following converted revolvers.

1.  58 Remington, 38 Long Colt.

2.  Uberti 58 Remington, .38 Long Colt (x2)

3.  Uberti 58 Remington .45 Colt

4.  Pieta 58 Remington, .45 Colt

5.  Uberti Walker  .45 Colt

6.  2nd Generation Colt Dragoon, .45 Colt

7.  Pieta 1860 Colt, .45 Colt

8.  Armi San Marco Rogers and Spencer, .45 Colt

If you want to go back and forth between cartridges and Cap and Ball, the Remington style revolvers are a little easier to deal with.  Also, at this time, there are no ejectors available for the Walker or Colt.   With all the Colt types, a gated Kirst type conversion is less of a hassle.  Taking the gun apart to load and unload the cylinder can be tedious.  With the Remingtons, swapping the cylinders can be done in a matter of seconds.  But you can still do a gated conversion on them if you want to.

All of them, except for #1, which is a genuine antique, get smokeless shot in them.

As far as they "exception" goes, it is possible to take a converted Walker and ream out the cylinders to chamber .460 S&W Magnum brass.   This brass is then loaded with 60 grains of BLACK powder, to great the .45 Black Powder Magnum.  Basically, a cartridge version of the 60 grains of black that the Walkers were built for.   You absolutely can NOT fire full power .460 S&W Magnum smokeless ammo in such a gun.  Don't even think about it.   Is it theoretically possible to find a safe smokeless round using said brass that is still hotter than .45 Colt?   It is tempting to say that it might be, but common sense says to me that it is not.   I mention this only because, well, I thought it was a good idea to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum

No, I have not bored out the cylinder on my Walker, and have no plans to do so!

Good luck, and happy shooting.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Also, at this time, there are no ejectors available for the Walker or Colt.   With all the Colt types, a gated Kirst type conversion is less of a hassle.  Taking the gun apart to load and unload the cylinder can be tedious.  With the Remingtons, swapping the cylinders can be done in a matter of seconds.  But you can still do a gated conversion on them if you want to.

This gentleman offers ejector assemblies for the Colt and Remington style revolvers.

http://cartridgeconversion.com/Home_Page.php

23 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

While it would be COOL to load those long .460 shells into a Walker, you'd still have to download from 60 grains or you'd be breaking the 1000fps rule.  

It will fire smaller 45 cal rounds like the 45 Colt, 45 S&W, and 45 Cowboy Special, if

it were to be used in a match.

3 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

The 1000 fps rule is for smokless loads. Blackpowder loads are fine as the pressure curve is the true "Demon". 

Mike

I don’t believe you are correct.  

3 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

The 1000 fps rule is for smokless loads. Blackpowder loads are fine as the pressure curve is the true "Demon". 

Mike

SHB page 25

The maximum velocities are 1000 fps for revolvers and 1400 fps for rifles. Ammunition that exceeds these velocities is considered illegal (this does not include ammunition that does not meet the power factor). Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.

There's no mention of BP being exempt from the velocity requirements, only the mentioned guns.  The statement in the prior paragraph pertains to power factor, not velocity limits.

Archived