SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Bullets

Stony Lane

I have been shooting Cowboy for just under a year. I have 2 Marlins, shooting B Western. Since I started I have been shooting HSM factory 200 grain RNFP and low power hand loads with the same bullet with absolutely no feeding problems. I would like to experiment with 165-185 grain bullets.

My question is that since these weight bullets are offered in RNFP and TC configurations,should I stick with the RNFP or is there an advantage to the TC shape?  These are both 44 magnum and I use magnum cases  

Think that is what  I will do (Try both).. I have been reloading for well over 50 years, just thought there might be advantage to one over the other in the Marlin.. Thanks for the information.

Shoot straight..

Just my advise from years of experience and tuning literally 100’s of Marlins. Stay away from the truncated cone style Bullets in the marlins. RNFP will run much smoother and consistently in the marlin rifles. I use a Hightec coated bullet from bangandclangllc.com and have had excellent results.

Slick

1 hour ago, Slick McClade said:

Just my advise from years of experience and tuning literally 100’s of Marlins. Stay away from the truncated cone style Bullets in the marlins. RNFP will run much smoother and consistently in the marlin rifles. I use a Hightec coated bullet from bangandclangllc.com and have had excellent results.

Slick

I've used Chey-Cast 140 gr TC bullets, both plain and coated, in my Marlin 94 CBC 38 spl for years with no problems. What exactly is the issue with TC bullets?

JC

In my past experience the flat portion of the TC bullet seems to get stuck on the side of the chamber entrance. The RNFP seems to be a little more forgiving as the rounded edges seems to help deflect the bullet and causes it not to “stick”

near as bad. Like I said this has been my experience and I prefer the RNFP design. Every little thing to help aid in the marlins running smoother I open to trying. Hope my odd way of reasoning helps you understand. :)

Slick

3 hours ago, Slick McClade said:

In my past experience the flat portion of the TC bullet seems to get stuck on the side of the chamber entrance. The RNFP seems to be a little more forgiving as the rounded edges seems to help deflect the bullet and causes it not to “stick”

near as bad. Like I said this has been my experience and I prefer the RNFP design. Every little thing to help aid in the marlins running smoother I open to trying. Hope my odd way of reasoning helps you understand. :)

Slick

TNX for the details, and makes perfect sense:excl:

OLG

Thanks to everyone. I think since I have had good luck with the RNFP in 200gr in the past I will first try the lighter bullets in that shape. If the work I will save some money by buying only what works. If they don't then I can get the lighter bullets in the TC shape and try them. Thanks again all.

I just picked up a 2009 Marlin Cowboy Limited 20" 38/357.  I tried a few SWC bullets in it, expecting to have to "jiggle" them around to get them in the chamber.  Much to my surprise, the dang things fed as smoothly as my TC or RNFP loads.  I'm not going to chance them in competition, but for backyard plinking and pest eradication duties, they're going to get serious consideration, as I have several thousand set back from my PPC shooting days.  

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I just picked up a 2009 Marlin Cowboy Limited 20" 38/357.  I tried a few SWC bullets in it, expecting to have to "jiggle" them around to get them in the chamber.  Much to my surprise, the dang things fed as smoothly as my TC or RNFP loads.  I'm not going to chance them in competition, but for backyard plinking and pest eradication duties, they're going to get serious consideration, as I have several thousand set back from my PPC shooting days.  

You should also buy some Lotto tickets with that kind of good luck. ;):lol:

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should also buy some Lotto tickets with that kind of good luck. ;):lol:

OLG

Not arguing that.  My '73 won't even discuss feeding SWC, and I've had two other Marlins and a Rossi that wouldn't feed anything but the TC or RNFP worth a dang.  

Lawman Mark,

Ya done good on that Marlin, especially if its a stock Marlin.

I've encountered a couple 'stock' Marlins that were pretty good,  with only a couple minor gremlins.

As Lumpy suggested........ it might be time to buy a couple lotto tickets.

..........Widder

23 hours ago, Slick McClade said:

Slick

Verrrry interrrresting   :unsure:  I've never encountered that...

JC

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lawman Mark,

Ya done good on that Marlin, especially if its a stock Marlin.

I've encountered a couple 'stock' Marlins that were pretty good,  with only a couple minor gremlins.

As Lumpy suggested........ it might be time to buy a couple lotto tickets.

..........Widder

It's been slicked and smoothed.  Lighter springs and such. Was owned by a local shooter who went with a '73.  I was very surprised when they fed.  Honestly, I've only shot a few dozen through it, and not at match speed, but there were not any hangups.  

Archived