SASS Wire Forum

TTN Double dis-assembly

Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022

I need to pull the butt stock off my TTN 1878 double, but am not certain if there is a cross bolt or what. I have top screw through the tang off, and two bottom screws through bottom tang out, but the stock does not want to move...... Before I break something, does anyone have  some experience with this shotgun?  Thanks? Muleshoe

You'll need to take the trigger plate out. There is a screw ahead of the trigger guard.  Another hidden under the top lever.  The back tang screw.  And probably one under the back of the trigger guard.  Once you have all the screws out, take a brass punch or something similar and find a spot (with barrels off)  down through the top under where the barrels set until you reach against the top side of the trigger plate assembly.  Give the punch a tap and see if trigger plate breaks loose. Repeat as necessary.  

You need to remove each side plate lock.  One screw is at the hammer.  You'll need to cock hammer to get a screw driver on this screw.  Another lock plate screw is at the butt stock end of lock plate.  This screw has a threaded tube going through the butt stock and is threaded to the screw on the opposite lock plate.  I always use 2 screw drivers to remove at least 1 of these screws.  These screws are very small with a very shallow slot.  Easy to strip if screw driver bit does not fit.  There is also a screw hidden by thumb latch release lever on top.  You'll need to push latch release to see this screw.  Think I covered all the screws you didn't mention.

Whiskey

I assumed you already had the locks out.

As much fun as you have getting it apart,   you'll have more fun getting it back together. 

One hint.  When you put the locks back in, push the triggers forward so the leg of the sear will pass over the top of the trigger.  If you don't you run the risk of bending the trigger(s) over and they won't work. 

24 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Lever spring, and I think I should probably have a couple spare firing pins and springs for those.

http://www.slixprings.com/top-spring-ttn.html

I bought one to put in original Colt 1878.  While trying to install it, it flew off into "parts unknown".  I never found it.  I said to hell with this and bought some spring wire stock and made one. 

Archived