SASS Wire Forum

Blood transfusion question

Alpo

When you're doing a direct transfusion, how do they know when to stop?

If I'm giving blood, they stick a needle in me attached to a hose, and put the other end of the hose in a measuring cup. When the level gets to a pint, or a quart, or a half gallon - however much they want - they stop.

But if, for example, they got Hardpan laying on the table - bled white - so they hook me up to  give him a refill, how do they know when he's full?

They just let me drain until I turn ghost pale?

They have a instrument which clamps the tongue, like a caliper, and as it records the lessening thickness it messages the nanobots running the pumphouse (microscopic)to cut back on flow. When complete you are given an injection of nitroglycerin through the needle which starts a controlled series of miniature explosions within the blood stream expanding your blood volume back to it's original volume. Late cutoff can result in extreme amounts of flatulence.

Imis (todays science wizard)

All I can add is that it does require that the person performing said transfusion has the right instruments.

1569444021_ArchaicMedicalIntraments.jpeg.f54f4e612aae50ee3c4b3afbdf4c0984.jpeg

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

When you're doing a direct transfusion, how do they know when to stop?

They stop when the director says, “...and cut!”  It's only done in the movies these days.

Generally till when you pass out. That lets them know that's enough. Sometimes they have you squeeze a ball and if you are more valuable than the patient you squeeze the ball 90 times and that is enough. If the patient is more valuable till your eyes bulge out and turn white. That means you are finally out of blood.

Additional Info:

Patients can survive massive blood loss if their blood pressure stays in normal range.  That is why EMTs start a saline IV drip rather than attempting transfusions in the field --- keep the blood pressure up by maintaining total circulatory volume.  Humans can survive up to about 90 % loss of their red blood cells if the blood pressure is maintained.  They won't be feeling good, they will be gasping for each breath, but they will be alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived