SASS Wire Forum

short stroke a Miroku '73

Moe T Vator

Miroku makes whatever Winchester wants them to. The current Winchester line up looks like they have dropped all but the 357 version of the 73. I hope the catalog is wrong or I just can't figure it out. That said, I have a 357 and a 45 and really like both of them. Like was previously said the stroke is a lot shorter than the original and the workmanship is outstanding in both fit and finish. The walnut looks like walnut wood should, oil finished beauty. Both rifles are ready to go out of the box. The safety trigger lock spring is too heavy for my taste but easily fixed, the trigger is crisp and everything works smoothly. Definitely the 73 that others should be judged by. Pioneer makes a short stroke kit for the Winchester 73 that will make as short as SASS rules will allow. I have owned more than a few other manufacturers 73 and always spend money trying to make a Winchester out of them.

I own a 24'' Miroku in 357/38 spl and love it. 

Had an action job done a few years ago and its as smooth as glass. No doubt out of the box there is no other '73 as top notch. 

Now its just a matter of shortening the stroke up. 

I've run a Uberti with Shotgun Boogie's short stroke setup and there is no comparison.

Sadly he does not put the SS in the Miroku so now its time to go hunting.  

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

The fine folks at Pioneer have a kit especially for the Miroku.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/winchester-short-stroke-kit

I don’t think they have them anymore.

29 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

You could be right. But the link I provided came from their website today, so.........?

They have the smaller size but they no longer sell the large caliber SS kit and parts and when the small size is gone they’re not making them anymore.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

59c7d3cebe8a5_Winchester73leverthrowAug2017.jpg.c32aa24d98090c7ecd13ffd6c37a0a33.jpg

Here is a Winchester Miroku out of the box above Winchester Miroku with Pioneer short stroke kit. So little to gain for all the expense and trouble. 

That’s what I have been waiting to see. Thank you!!

On 2/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

Miroku makes whatever Winchester wants them to. The current Winchester line up looks like they have dropped all but the 357 version of the 73. I hope the catalog is wrong or I just can't figure it out. That said, I have a 357 and a 45 and really like both of them. Like was previously said the stroke is a lot shorter than the original and the workmanship is outstanding in both fit and finish. The walnut looks like walnut wood should, oil finished beauty. Both rifles are ready to go out of the box. The safety trigger lock spring is too heavy for my taste but easily fixed, the trigger is crisp and everything works smoothly. Definitely the 73 that others should be judged by. Pioneer makes a short stroke kit for the Winchester 73 that will make as short as SASS rules will allow. I have owned more than a few other manufacturers 73 and always spend money trying to make a Winchester out of them.

Click on the caliber where it says .357-38 for the drop down to select caliber. They're still making .44-40 and .45 Colt versions.  I'm just twisted enough to want one of each.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:28 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Long Hunter did mine.

Hey Bob, please remind me to take a look see at your W73 the next time we cross trails at a match.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:41 PM, Moe T Vator said:

That’s what I have been waiting to see. Thank you!!

I have a Miroku .38/357 and it shoots great, plus great stock. The only thing I didn't like is the Buck Horn style rear sight, so I changed it out for the simple "v-notch." I have a Uberti SS by Pioneer and it too is a great rifle. I talked with them about fixing up the Miroku but they said because Winchester was not supplying spare parts quickly or reliably they were not going to tune the Winchester Miroku anymore. That was about 5 months ago.

Howdy!. Just finished at winter range and got the rifle dropped off with Long Hunter. Gunsmith by the name of Justin is going to be taken care of it for me. Thanks for all the assists and posts. Soon as I get it back I will reply and let everybody know how it’s running :-) 

5 hours ago, Russ The Red said:

talked with them about fixing up the Miroku but they said because Winchester was not supplying spare parts quickly or reliably 

I needed a couple of springs for my Winchester Miroku that had been butchered by slicker-upper.  Had Sawmill Mary call down to Arnald Missouri to the Browning/Winchester service center.  The lady walked back to parts storage and pulled parts while talking on the phone and we had them by priority mail in a couple of days. 

For me they were too long out of the box.....about like a 2nd Gen gun. So "for me" when the stroke gets that long the rifle starts moving a lot more as I fire it because I have to start moving my arm forward more and my shoulder starts pushing the butt forward.

I have shot a everything from the 4th, 5th 3rd and the cut lever guns and when they get that long it's not about the time savings of a little more lever throw it's about how my shoulder starts driving forward and moving the sights more. 

Granted it could just be my shooting style or height etc but it's real for me. Cody did my first one and the second had a Pioneer kit in it. They both did well. 

What scared me away from them was a lack of parts. They are very well made guns but SASS can be tough on rifles. They may have fixed that by now.....that was years ago when they first hit the market. 

I see a couple things here that could be addressed. First the parts availability, then the quality of the rifle.

Uberti 1873 rifles have a great gunsmith following plus unlimited aftermarket parts. That begs the question why.

Winchester does not have a gunsmith following nor does it have much in the way of aftermarket parts availability.

Uberti factory parts are less than desirable as evidenced by the shear number of aftermarket parts. The fit and finish on these rifles is lacking as compared to most sporting rifles made today. Yet they have a following. Why? Because they have been around a long time and the gunsmiths like them. The base rifle can be used to build a fine cowboy competition rifle from all it takes is money.

Winchester may not be as true to the original design as the Uberti but then everything can be improved upon.

I haven't heard of any first hand complaints of Winchester parts shortage. The rifle is current production so why would there be a shortage, I do know the 38/357 is in short supply, could be because they are selling well. I having owned all of them and believe the Winchester is of much better quality both in fit, finish and materials used to produce the rifle.

The coming years will sort out what people think of the rifles.

45 minutes ago, DDD, SASS 28309 said:

I see a couple things here that could be addressed. First the parts availability, then the quality of the rifle.

Uberti 1873 rifles have a great gunsmith following plus unlimited aftermarket parts. That begs the question why.

Winchester does not have a gunsmith following nor does it have much in the way of aftermarket parts availability.

Uberti factory parts are less than desirable as evidenced by the shear number of aftermarket parts. The fit and finish on these rifles is lacking as compared to most sporting rifles made today. Yet they have a following. Why? Because they have been around a long time and the gunsmiths like them. The base rifle can be used to build a fine cowboy competition rifle from all it takes is money.

Winchester may not be as true to the original design as the Uberti but then everything can be improved upon.

I haven't heard of any first hand complaints of Winchester parts shortage. The rifle is current production so why would there be a shortage, I do know the 38/357 is in short supply, could be because they are selling well. I having owned all of them and believe the Winchester is of much better quality both in fit, finish and materials used to produce the rifle.

The coming years will sort out what people think of the rifles.

My opinion also... 

Guys at the clubs where we shoot buy Winchester Miroku 73s and just shoot them. 

Archived