SASS Wire Forum

Wire Slowdown update

Rye Miles #13621

I thought this was fixed?? It was for a couple days now it's even worse than before!!

Telegraph would be quicker!!:P

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the post count, this forum goes back 10 years or more.

Over 1148 threads.

Might consider archiving several years (Example, 5 years) or deleting the same.

The forum software may not have the ability to store this much data.

The software may be juggling data to find room to accept more posts but is over loaded and over whelmed.

Just happened to catch this sign while surfing the SASS Wire....

1683665336_SlowPeopleWorking.thumb.png.14dc1cc47d1e4d51846752c26b12dbba.png

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The amount of forum data should have nothing to do with it, and there aren't that many members here on at any one time regardless so I doubt it's a bandwidth issue either. More likely there is something wrong with the host server.

The amount of forum data can absolutely be an issue. The server stores a massive amount of images that can slow things down if that file share is running low on space. I'm sure the software is also using some flavor of SQL that could need indexing. I'd look at those two things before worrying about the host server.

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It ran just fine last week and it ran just fine yesterday...I doubt it's the photos and data....

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Most likely cause is SQL needs indexing, closely followed by disk space taken up by an exorbitant amount of pictures. 

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Most likely cause is SQL needs indexing, closely followed by disk space taken up by an exorbitant amount of pictures. 

Oh, you may be right but one thing is for sure...It's SLOWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Looking at the post count, this forum goes back 10 years or more.

Over 1148 threads.

Might consider archiving several years (Example, 5 years) or deleting the same.

The forum software may not have the ability to store this much data.

The software may be juggling data to find room to accept more posts but is over loaded and over whelmed.

Everything is already getting archived after 6 months. Can still be found with a search, but the data is archived to a different table.

Virtualy unusable right now.

Loke my driveway.

Guess I'll go binge watch season 6 of game of Thrones and eat the brownies the mem sahib made me for V day. :wub:

Utah out.

I dont know what you guys are complaining about, its lightnin' fast on my AOL dial up ! BBZZZZZZBBBRRRRRBBEEEEPPP

17 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Everything is already getting archived after 6 months. Can still be found with a search, but the data is archived to a different table.

This may be true but looking at the thread count on the main page shows that there are over 1100 threads still in the forum going back over 10 years.

If everything is archived every six months, it appears to me that the threads are not deleted from the forum after archiving.

This will double the amount of data stored on the server.

The software has a limit on data saved.

Data that is archived can be searchable if the forum search switch is activated.

This eliminates having to also have the data in the original forum data base.

If the data storage limit  has been reached, the software has to move data around sort of like defragmenting a disk to find a space for new data or a search request.

Archiving is good but the original data in a forum should be deleted or moved off the forum, off server and on to a storage disk to be saved and accessible later.

11 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

This may be true but looking at the thread count on the main page shows that there are over 1100 threads still in the forum going back over 10 years.

If everything is archived every six months, it appears to me that the threads are not deleted from the forum after archiving.

This will double the amount of data stored on the server.

The software has a limit on data saved.

Data that is archived can be searchable if the forum search switch is activated.

This eliminates having to also have the data in the original forum data base.

If the data storage limit  has been reached, the software has to move data around sort of like defragmenting a disk to find a space for new data or a search request.

Archiving is good but the original data in a forum should be deleted or moved off the forum, off server and on to a storage disk to be saved and accessible later.

I don't disagree.

I also don't know their archive strategy. 

As long as data is moved to a searchable database/store before it's deleted it's fine; but let's not go down the road of simply deleting old threads. 

I'll also say if the software can't handle 1100 or even 11000 topics we need to either get some better software or throttle the number of new topics that get created daily per user.

170844908_TyrelResponsetonumberofposts.thumb.JPG.dbec4274251462c6ca2cdabfa3ad0800.JPG

I'm ready to throw the 1st Amendment under the bus and go back to rationing. :angry:

1526036867_RationCardFKCGG.JPG.f9320d454166d14c998430d8e38a5af5.JPG

23 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The amount of forum data should have nothing to do with it, and there aren't that many members here on at any one time regardless so I doubt it's a bandwidth issue either. More likely there is something wrong with the host server.

Respectfully disagree here. The amount of date that is available to search over (likely due to pictures) is astronomical. Older data does need to be archived, and then storage space need to be re-fragged and set up again. Moderators could have access to the older archived data, and then Wire users could request a search of that info from them.

Data only slows a system down when it is being accessed. Just sitting there on the hard drive it doesn't affect anything. If we all ran an image search at once then yes we'd bog down the host server, but I doubt more than a dozen members are doing a search at any given time.

4 hours ago, Grass Range said:

I know nothing about computer issues. Why not dump everything posted in the past and start over if the system is overloaded.

We have tried that in the past.  Then it took us two weeks to remember how to saddle the horses correctly. 

Folks, it's not just the Wire.

Access to the SASS general site is also quite slow.  

I suspect a service provider issue.  And yes, it could be weather related.

Take another look at Sixgun Sheridan's post above... "purging" the archives would be like trying to make your street faster by cleaning out your garage instead of fixing the potholes.  :rolleyes:  

Archived