SASS Wire Forum

357 magnum 130gr RNFP light load

CyPhi

Howdy all, 

I started shooting CAS in May 2018 and shortly after that started reloading my own ammunition. My 1875 Outlaws and 1873 Miroku Winchester are chambered in .357Mag/38 Spl. So I have been reloading 38 Spl with 130 grn. RNFP with 3.6 grns of Tightgroup. with a COAL of 1.460”.  My wife has got into the game and she has got a pair of 1873 Thunders and a 1892 Miroku Winchester also chambered in .357Mag/38 Spl. Her lever gun isn’t fond of the 38 Spl cartridges so I want to switch to .357Mag. Do any of you learned folk know of a source of information that has a reload recipe for .357 Mag using 130 grn RNFP loaded with Tightgroup powder?

Cyrus “Cyphi” Phillbert

Tyrel Cody, I haven't tried that yet. Would the increased volume in the case cause a change in how the powder burns and its effect on the bullet?

Hodgdon used to publish reloading tables for cowboy action shooters.  The 5th edition lists loads for 125 and 135 grain bullets for .357 Mag:  

125 grain bullet:

4.0 grains Titegroup minimum, 5.4 grains maximum.

135 grain bullet:

3.5 grains minimum, 5.2 grains maximum.

You can do your own interpolation, or phone Hodgdon for guidance.   My recommendation would be to phone them; they are friendly folks.    B)

Howdy Cy, 357 magnum and light load just don't sound right:unsure:. Try loading your .38 bullet a little long, also the 147 grain bullet is a long bullet with no crimp groove, and they work well in the Win 92 and .357 Marlin. Also check out Steve's Gunz for the Win 92 CD and spring kit. Until you get it right let her shoot your 73, which will soon become hers;). 3.3 - 3.5 TG is a good load for .38 or .357, that's what I used when I started. However TG has more recoil and louder report than some of our more popular powders such as Red Dot or Clays. Stay away from TG maximum as they often exceed SASS max FPS. Good Luck:)

Hodgdon BRM 2009

.38sp 125gr RNFP 3.2-----3.8...………………….357 125gr RNFP 4.0----5.4

.38sp 135gr RNFP 3.1-----3.6...…………………..357 135gr RNFP 3.5-----5.2

I can't see a charge of Titegroup in a case that tall. I use Trailboss but with a 158 gr bullet to limit velocity. I used it on a spinner bonus target last week and flipped it with authority, but am not afraid of the word magnum. The trick with my gun, a Lightning, is use of TCFP bullets without a pronounced leading band. Penn Bullets is the best, but MO 140 Zinger works pretty well to, but I can feel a little hitch in the action without the Penns.

Hi CyPhi,

What do you mean by "her lever gun isn't fond of the 38 specials?"  What are they doing?

Do they not chamber correctly or are they too short?  Does the rifle jam?    

The reason I ask is that most folks I know use a "truncated cone" bullet to help the rifle feed easier.  It's more of a "pointy" bullet.

Seems like most rifle problems are caused by the bullet shape and/or the cartridge length. 

Let us know what her gun is doing.

Mo

1 hour ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Hi CyPhi,

What do you mean by "her lever gun isn't fond of the 38 specials?"  What are they doing?

Do they not chamber correctly or are they too short?  Does the rifle jam?    

The reason I ask is that most folks I know use a "truncated cone" bullet to help the rifle feed easier.  It's more of a "pointy" bullet.

Seems like most rifle problems are caused by the bullet shape and/or the cartridge length. 

Let us know what her gun is doing.

Mo

This ^^^ is probably the best initial step you should take.    Changing out brass and/or bullet styles and weights

might not solve the issue if something else is not right.

Something else to consider:   Loading a specific bullet in a .357 case at standard length

isn't much different than loading the same bullet 'longer' in a .38 case to similar OAL.

Your OAL could possibly end up much the same depending on a couple variables

and depending upon the type powder you use, your case capacity (volume) would

be close to the same also.

Just a thought.....

..........Widder

I load .38/125 and .357/125 with exactly the same amount of powders. 2.7 gr of Solo1000( running out, no longer available) 2.7 gr Cleanshot, 2.7 gr 700X . My 73 likes the additional case length of the .357, Jersey Brat's (Mz Twohofon) 94M will not hold 10 of the .357 length cartridge. All shoot well, my bullet nose RNFP(  bigger radius) feeds reliably and the Cleanshot accuracy is super in my pistols, me not so much.

Imis

I'm with Slo Mo, Widder, and Jefro. I shoot a '73 and my wife shoots a '92. I load a .38 sp case with a 147 gr. Tuncated Cone bullet to an OAL of 1.52" Work well for both rifles. I also use a Lee Factory Crimp die and a firm crimp.

You can do what you want, but I think mixing two cases and having to reset the dies could lead to mistakes and cause you problems.

11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

This ^^^ is probably the best initial step you should take.    Changing out brass and/or bullet styles and weights

might not solve the issue if something else is not right.

Something else to consider:   Loading a specific bullet in a .357 case at standard length

isn't much different than loading the same bullet 'longer' in a .38 case to similar OAL.

Your OAL could possibly end up much the same depending on a couple variables

and depending upon the type powder you use, your case capacity (volume) would

be close to the same also.

Just a thought.....

..........Widder

Both my 140 gr and 158 gr TCFP .357 rifle ammo seated to the crimp groove is .075 longer COL than a sample I have of the popular way of loading 105 TCFP in 38 Special brass well before the crimp groove.

I've had two of those and they should feed a 38 with no issues. I know Deuce did a out-of-the-box test on one and I bet a dime to a dollar he used his 38 loads too. I'd make sure your bullets are at least 1.42 and then go from there. It should feed them with no issues.

If you and your wife are shooting it'll be a lot more expensive to shoot 357 brass and it shouldn't be necessary. You are covering up a problem by switching to longer bullets. 

Archived