SASS Wire Forum

Thinking About The "Slow" Thread, Or Making The Best Of Things

Subdeacon Joe

By happenstance this turned up in my Facebook memories this morning, as I was waiting for the "Slow" thread to load.  Got me thinking about life, the universe, and everything.

Burned Biscuits - A lesson we all should learn.

When I was a kid, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!
All my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that ugly burned biscuit. He ate every bite of that thing...never made a face nor uttered a word about it!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said, "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Mom put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides--a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!"
As I've grown older, I've thought about that many times. Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people.
I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today...that you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket--keep it in your own."
So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do just fine.
And PLEASE pass this along to someone who has enriched your life--I just did!
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil--it has no point"

When I need a lesson the Universe gives it to me. I just have to listen and then apply the lesson to my life. And sometimes the lesson is "Slow down, boy"

Imis

8 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

When I need a lesson the Universe gives it to me. I just have to listen and then apply the lesson to my life. And sometimes the lesson is "Slow down, boy"

Imis

My wife and I subscribe to the theory of "God's Two by Four."  God is always trying to teach us, always whispering to us to guide us.  Every once in a while there is something Important He wants us to know, but we stubbornly ignore Him.  So He sends us something little to kind of tap us on the shoulder and talks a little louder to get our attention.  We keep on being oblivious.  So He kind of taps harder, talks a little louder.  Still not getting through. So He picks up His 2 x 4 and WHAP up-side the head and finally gets our attention.  THEN we get the lesson He has for us.

41 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Thanks... this coming from someone who's surrounded by people who'd b!#ch about perfect biscuits. <_<

Yep.  I know some like that.  It could be raining fifty dollar bills and they would whine that it wasn't raining hundred dollar bills.

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Thanks Joe. How timely. 

Yes! I agree.

I got a gift certificate for Williams Sonoma for Christmas. I selected a toaster oven.

I made cornbread muffins in the regular oven a few nights ago. I always put them in paper liners so they are easy to reheat.

I learned that 10 minutes reheating in the oven equals burnt black in the toaster oven.

Hubby didn't make a big deal of it and he loves corn bread muffins. I :wub: him!

Archived