SASS Wire Forum

The Red Part Is Too Big

Subdeacon Joe

Luckily it didn't happen to me yesterday. Changed the battery in the '12 Kia, what a set up! Two bolts behind the battery "box" and a nut on the shock tower holding a strap to it. The two bolts hold an electronic something or other, once those are pulled the whole assembly has to be pulled backwards to free up the battery. putting the two bolts back in wasn't fun either. Got'er done though, the old battery was the original equipment and was so dead the interior lights didn't even come on. Got to hand it to the old girl, she fired right up after the new one was in after sitting for almost two months. Lost all the settings on the radio too. Took the old dead battery back to Federated and then took old "Squealy" for a spin around the park to get things stirred up again. Now all I have to do is get the cash together to get that right rear bearing hub replaced. $133 bucks plus paying the park mechanic to put it in/on. it's good enough to run around the park, but I won't take it anywhere else until that bearings replaced:rolleyes::blush:

Interesting. 

Yesterday i I was packing my bag to fly to Oregon for my final move to SoCal. 

I dropped a lid off of a small bottle of pills. 

It hit the floor and rolled under the bed behind some boxes. Real pain to get to.

I dropped a battery that I was installing in a cordless toothbrush. 

It ended up in almost exactly the same place.

Later I was filling my pill box and dropped a glucosamine caplet. My daughter had stepped in and saw me drop it. I cursed under my breath and she said “Need any help finding it?”

I said “No, I am pretty sure I know where it went.

I knelt down on the floor, reached under the bed and slid the box to the side and there it was, about two inches from where the lid and the battery ended up.

I am pretty sure there are small gravitational anomalies that are only located beneath larger objects and they can only attract small items. The strength of these anomalies is in direct proportion to the physical condition of the lower back or leg joints of the person that drops a small object. The worse the condition, the stronger the gravitational pull...

A couple years ago I was disassembling one of my little .380 pistols in the garage when the striker spring flew out and disappeared into the Great Void. Like most people I have a garage that's so full of crap you can barely move in it, but I decided to try looking for it anyway. I heard where it bounced off the wall and thought I knew where it might have landed. I got out a stepladder and started looking from the top down, beginning with my Jeep. The moment I shined a light on the roof of the Jeep there it was, just sitting there. Saved me the cost of a $6 spring and $10 postage to get it here, and a week without my pistol. I doubt I'll be that lucky the next time it happens.

I painted our brand new basement, white.
My wife regarded me as if I had a fish sticking out of my shirt pocket.
After I finished painting she was pleased -- "It makes it look so much bigger!"
My motive was more mercenary.
Bare concrete floors are not a uniform shade, there is enough variance to efficiently camouflage springs and screws and small parts.
If the floor is white I can see dropped components much more easily.
(That's all well and good but when it flies off to who knows where and dives under the bench or elsewhere beneath or beside something shadowed, sometimes a white floor doesn't help that much!)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sixgun, I usually find those lost springs right after the new one I ordered arrives. :(:lol:

I'm pretty sure that's a corollary to Murphy's Law.

When I'm buying nuts and bolts for a project, if I need four, I get five. If I don't, somehow or another I manage to lose or damage one. If I do, I have left-over parts.  I have enough left-over parts to start a hardware store, but usually not what I need.<_<

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sixgun, I usually find those lost springs right after the new one I ordered arrives. :(:lol:

My wife:wub: finds'em the next she vacuums...........:rolleyes:

Ever seen what a vacuum cleaner's beater bar does to a coil spring or a small screw? <_<

:lol:

OLG

On 2/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nope-Rolls behind my Jeeps tire. :lol:

BTDT,

OLG

That must be one of those Jeep things...

My technologically advanced '74 LandCruiser nuts, bolts and small fiddly bits are able to discern, and settle, under the exact center of the vehicle. So that laying my  hands on them are equally difficult from either side...

wrench.jpg.3378b2eb5781de3d6e49037c3c425998.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ever seen what a vacuum cleaner's beater bar does to a coil spring or a small screw? <_<

Or a .22 rimfire.....:rolleyes:

Amazing how small a hole in a pocket those can slip through. 

6 minutes ago, Sloe Moe said:

My technologically advanced '74 LandCruiser nuts, bolts and small fiddly bits are able to discern, and settle, under the exact center of the vehicle. So that laying my  hands on them are equally difficult from either side...

Plus the fact they are metric bolt's & nutz..........:lol:

Had a '77 FJ-40 I bought new, till I bought my CJ7 in '85. Still have the CJ.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My wife:wub: finds'em the next she vacuums...........:rolleyes:

:lol:

OLG

The converse is also true.  Ever see what a small screw or coil spring does to a vacuum?  Expensive!!!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Plus the fact they are metric bolt's & nutz..........:lol:

Well mostly metric, except for the tranny (SM465) and the gear reduction box (NP203) and the Saginaw power steering and the Hi-Steer steering linkage and the SOA U-bolts and a few odds & ends surprises like the water temp senders in the Toyota head are 1/2"NPT which just means I get to carry a wider variety of wrenches and spare nuts & bolts to drop under the rig...

1 hour ago, Sloe Moe said:

Well mostly metric, except for the tranny (SM465) and the gear reduction box (NP203) and the Saginaw power steering and the Hi-Steer steering linkage and the SOA U-bolts and a few odds & ends surprises like the water temp senders in the Toyota head are 1/2"NPT which just means I get to carry a wider variety of wrenches and spare nuts & bolts to drop under the rig...

Redneck metric wrench set:

95000.png

16 hours ago, Sloe Moe said:

Well at least yours is up high enough that you can get underneath it. When stuff goes flying in my garage usually it will seek out my other car, which is so low to the ground you can barely stick your arm underneath it. And of course when parts seek out said vehicle they will usually bounce off and scratch the paint first, then do a complete U-turn in the air and slide under the car until coming to a rest exactly at the middle of the car where it can't be reached. I think gun parts have miniature guidance systems built in which allow them to do that.

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Like when the FOD from your sewing room gets suc'd up? :lol:

OLG

OLG - Luckily, all the floors in the house are tile.  The Roomba can't clear the threshold to get into the sewing room.  I have to get a broom and dustpan and do things the old fashioned way. :lol:

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

OLG - Luckily, all the floors in the house are tile.  The Roomba can't clear the threshold to get into the sewing room.  I have to get a broom and dustpan and do things the old fashioned way. :lol:

Roomba-Is that Uno's new alias........:lol:

Wish Ima's:wub: sew'n room was floored in tile.........:ph34r:

I won't even enter that place without shoes on. :D

OLG

On 2/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. 

Yesterday i I was packing my bag to fly to Oregon for my final move to SoCal. 

I dropped a lid off of a small bottle of pills. 

It hit the floor and rolled under the bed behind some boxes. Real pain to get to.

I dropped a battery that I was installing in a cordless toothbrush. 

It ended up in almost exactly the same place.

Later I was filling my pill box and dropped a glucosamine caplet. My daughter had stepped in and saw me drop it. I cursed under my breath and she said “Need any help finding it?”

I said “No, I am pretty sure I know where it went.

I knelt down on the floor, reached under the bed and slid the box to the side and there it was, about two inches from where the lid and the battery ended up.

I am pretty sure there are small gravitational anomalies that are only located beneath larger objects and they can only attract small items. The strength of these anomalies is in direct proportion to the physical condition of the lower back or leg joints of the person that drops a small object. The worse the condition, the stronger the gravitational pull...

Well at least you now know where to look.

My luck each one would have ended up in a progressively harder spot to reach with the time required to locate the new spot increasing by a factor of 10.

Archived