SASS Wire Forum

what derringer? Holster??

Silver Creek Jack

Hi guys n gals, was getting ready to purchase a derringer and holster for side match comp. Question is what is a good quality .38 Spc. cal. derringer and what holster is best for easy access? where do you wear it? I like the looks of the Bond derringer but I have never owned one so heck I just don't know but I DO know this is the place to ask! Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks-SCJ

Bonds are like tanks. Rock solid and weigh a ton. They are very large but reliable.  I have one and a couple of barrels. Just plain works. Can be a bit big for a derringer. Honestly I've been looking at selling or trading mine off for a smaller one.  As far as holster is concerned. If you're planning on wearing it as an accessory while you shoot main match, please be aware that you'll still have to clear it after every stage just the same as the rest of your guns.

I do like the thought of it attached to a shoulder rig or something of the sort.

9 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Bonds are like tanks. Rock solid and weigh a ton. They are very large but reliable.  I have one and a couple of barrels. Just plain works. Can be a bit big for a derringer. Honestly I've been looking at selling or trading mine off for a smaller one.  As far as holster is concerned. If you're planning on wearing it as an accessory while you shoot main match, please be aware that you'll still have to clear it after every stage just the same as the rest of your guns.

I do like the thought of it attached to a shoulder rig or something of the sort.

Smaller than a bond would be a what? Really don't know what kind of holster I will wind up with, maybe attached to my pistol rig or shotgun shell belt? Just don't know what would be best at this point, thanks for the reply Dorado! SCJ

Bonds are really thick. Cobra's are cheap and are more that good enough for side matches. They more closely resemble original Remington derringers. Fairly cheap but hard to find one I like that isn't a .22.

I think there used to be a Cimarron derringer several years ago (NOT the current Cobra), styled after the original Remington, that was of good quality. As for a holster, I've never seen the need for one for side matches. The vast majority of these matches start with the loaded derringer on the table, then at the beep, pick it up and shoot two shots into a cardboard target across the table. (Maybe 3-6')

I've got barrels in .22LR, .38/.357, .44 spl (spl ONLY, not a mag chamber), .44-40, .45acp, and .45 Colt (Colt ONLY, not a .410) :)

BondDerringer 004.jpg

9 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I think there used to be a Cimarron derringer several years ago (NOT the current Cobra), styled after the original Remington, that was of good quality. As for a holster, I've never seen the need for one for side matches. The vast majority of these matches start with the loaded derringer on the table, then at the beep, pick it up and shoot two shots into a cardboard target across the table. (Maybe 3-6')

I've got barrels in .22LR, .38/.357, .44 spl (spl ONLY, not a mag chamber), .44-40, .45acp, and .45 Colt (Colt ONLY, not a .410) :)

BondDerringer 004.jpg

Nice JB! In side matches is there a caliber specific rule ie- .38 cal or larger? Thanks- SCJ

I have .22, .38 S&W Spl and .45 Colt barrels for my Bond. A dozen years ago or so, I let a kid use it in .22 at EOT. He won!!!   :-) I shoot it using black powder in ,45 Colt. It's sturdy, accurate, comfortable and an all around excellent gun. 

I have ancient Sharps 4 shot derringers. They are much smaller but are not something to count upon.

I enjoy shooting it in warthog loads of Holy black. If I cared about winning, I would use .22 shorts or even CB caps,

I have a holster from Idaho Leather which I always have on my gun belt. However, I rarely carry my derringer because it's a pain to have to take it out and show it's empty at the loading and unloading tables. I can't remember ever needing to draw it from its holster at a side match.

23 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I rarely carry my derringer because it's a pain to have to take it out and show it's empty at the loading and unloading tables.

Yep, folks who wear a derringer to the main match stages do that exactly once.   They then realize there is no need to pack it while competing in main match. 

And, I've seen lots of derringer side matches - never are you required or even allowed to start with derringer in holster.

Good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

So 45. Colt chambered one is legal?  Seems kind of over kill.

Derringers are exempt from power factor and velocity requirements, and can be anything .22 up to .45. Twenty two is a pain to reload if you ever have a match that allows for it. Reloads used to be common here, but are generally frowned on because it's so easy to sweep someone or break the 170, and too many folks have part of their hand over the muzzle when they're trying to do a fast reload. I've  also experienced a "slam fire" (only once) with my .22 barrel - snapped the barrels closed, and *bang*, one barrel fired. :blink: Not a mark at all on the rim, front, back, or around the edge.

I have a double zipper case that holds the derringer and all the barrels in one neat package - the one I use now is slightly bigger than this one because I've acquired more barrels since. :)

BondStorage 003.jpg

BondStorage 007.jpg

BondStorage.jpg

13 hours ago, Dorado said:

Bonds are really thick. Cobra's are cheap and are more that good enough for side matches. They more closely resemble original Remington derringers. Fairly cheap but hard to find one I like that isn't a .22.

A couple of years back the misses bought a 9mm Cobra.  After she shot one barrel she handed it to me.  I shot the other barrel.  It became a safe queen that I have brought it out occasionally to shoot at most 6 cartridges.  I would rather shoot a box of 50 158 grain hard cast 357M out of my S&W Model 66 with 4" barrel.

I shot my Bond at ONE side match and out on the back of my property. That's it. Been thinking of doing a side match at one of my club's annual matches.  Not really something I shoot all that often. Then again I can mousefart the crap out of it and it'd still work.

4 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

How did you get a .44-40 barrel? The usual way you buy things - I either wrote out a check or used a credit card, and they sent it to me. The barrels aren't a regulated part, so they can be shipped directly to you.

What is the favored barrel length? Probably 3". All six of mine are 3"ers.

Does anyone notice a difference in accuracy from the .45/.410 vs. the fully rifled .45? I don't know, I've never had a .410/.45 Colt barrel, but it makes sense, "accuracy" being subjective from 3" barrels that aren't particularly well-regulated, of course.

I did find an older  Cimmaron derringer in .22 so I am in the purchase process .Thanks guys, very informative!  SCJ

Well thanks to J Bar I went out and bought one of these things. I just hope I don't end up with a barrel collection like he has...I already have an Encore!

I'll soon be evaluating the Mini .45... I got a deal I was unable to resist given the astronomical MSRPs in LGS. I'm going to look in my archives and see what .45 CS loads I can make for them. Widder sent me some information about Gold Dots and I'm tempted to see what hollow points are available. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Well thanks to J Bar I went out and bought one of these things. I just hope I don't end up with a barrel collection like he has...I already have an Encore!

I only have six - there are a LOT more yet to go!

BondBarrels.JPG

I have two designers of the "also ran" variety.  And then I got a chance to buy a Bond derringer.  All I can say is if I want to even have a chance of winning in a side match, I will use the Bond.. 

One of my also rans, a Cobra, started out with about a 40 lb trigger.  I literally had to use two index fingers on the trigger to get it to fire.  It has  lighter trigger springs in it now but now is a little picky about striking hard enough to fire reliably.  Back to the gunsmith for "slightly" stronger springs.....

Of course YMMV with your derringer......

Archived