SASS Wire Forum

Loading the shotgun from a bandolier?

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

Don't know of any instructional videos but I just started using one a few months ago after watching Smokestack use one. In my opinion there is only one that really works. It is called the Tupelo bandolier

The main thing to know is that the shot shells don't go in far because the loops are tapered and you don't pull on them you twist them out at like a 90 degree angle to the loop. Works good unless you forget to twist and start pulling on them. The only thing I had a little trouble with was the bandolier got in the way a little when I shoulder my rifle. You have a piece of leather there when you have a bando on. Hope this helps!

There really is no fundamental difference between loading from a shotgun belt and doing it from a bandolier. The only real differences are bandolier shells are held much higher on the body and at an angle vs. being held straight up and down. So if you already have a technique that works for you stick with it, just grab the shells from a different location.

Two notes I will mention though. #1 You want to keep the bandolier balanced front and back. If it’s imbalanced it will slide in the direction of the heavier weight. That means the shells won’t be where you expect them to be when it comes time to grab them.

#2 This one is a personal thing but I’ll mention it for your consideration. I don’t load the bottom two loops. I’ve found that reaching that far down puts my hand at an odd angle to grab the shells. Leaving those two loops empty still gives me ten shells which SHOULD be more than enough for any stage. 

Several months ago, I saw a video of Dutch Coroner, who shoots Classic Cowboy with a Tupelo Bando. His hammered double technique was an absolute thing of beauty. I don't recall if the video was posted here on the Wire or on one of the CAS Facebook pages, but it's worth searching for.

2 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

Several months ago, I saw a video of Dutch Coroner, who shoots Classic Cowboy with a Tupelo Bando. His hammered double technique was an absolute thing of beauty. I don't recall if the video was posted here on the Wire or on one of the CAS Facebook pages, but it's worth searching for.

Dutch Coroner does a good job of reloading with the bandolier. Actually, I'm pretty sure he practices too.

I had my leather loops on the front of my Tupelo Bando replaced with elastic and am glad I did. It’s really easy to pull four for the 1897 and pulling two for a SxS is a breeze. Keep shells loaded in the back loops also or like SB said it will slide around on you and you’ll always be adjusting it during a match. Remember it can’t be tied down. Good luck and once you get used to not going to a horizontal belt or slide it’s much faster loading them from a bandoleer.

34 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I had my leather loops on the front of my Tupelo Bando replaced with elastic and am glad I did. It’s really easy to pull four for the 1897 and pulling two for a SxS is a breeze. Keep shells loaded in the back loops also or like SB said it will slide around on you and you’ll always be adjusting it during a match. Remember it can’t be tied down. Good luck and once you get used to not going to a horizontal belt or slide it’s much faster loading them from a bandoleer.

Yul, did Tombstone Leather do that for you, or someone else?

I was just thinking that elastic loops would probably work better on a Bandolier. You could roll the shells out instead of pulling them out. Seems like there would be less of a chance of  Bandolier movement, rising and shifting.

Flash, don't wear it on the shoulder you mount the long gun on.

2 hours ago, Will Kane said:

Yul, did Tombstone Leather do that for you, or someone else?

Double Diamond did mine, he does all of the leather work on my carts and does holsters and gun belts too. PM him he visits the Wire or better yet if you need his contact info PM me.

1 hour ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

I was just thinking that elastic loops would probably work better on a Bandolier. You could roll the shells out instead of pulling them out. Seems like there would be less of a chance of  Bandolier movement, rising and shifting.

Flash, don't wear it on the shoulder you mount the long gun on.

Nick at Tombstone Leather has designed the Tupelo Bandoleer so that you tip the shells out you don’t pull them. You just kind of flick your wrist and hand forward and the shells are in your hand out of the loops, no pulling involved. It’s pretty much the same action with the elastic loops. I wear mine on the shoulder my rifle and SG mount on and it works fine, the SG shells are lower on the bandoleer and won’t interfere with mounting the long guns.

Marshall, contact Gus Paladin.  He's been doing it for years and I think pretty good too.

50 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Anybody seen a person wear two bandoliers at once?  I would think that the bottom one would be pretty stable in that configuration.

Blastaway Pablo does on occasion.

23 hours ago, Dutch Coroner said:

As others have said, you don’t pull the  shells, you have to snap them out.   I grasp the shells and rotate my hand out and down pushing the shells against my chest and then snap them out. 

Dutch

Sure wish I could open that video.

Archived