SASS Wire Forum

Quieting new holster rig (creaking)...

Croc Holiday

Hey All...

Finally got my shiny new holster rig.  She's gorgeous and just what I was hoping for but squeaks and creaks like crazy.  I know it needs to break in some but man, you can hear me coming a mile away haha.  Would love to remedy as much noise as I can.  Looking online I can see all sorts of advice like wear as much as possible to break in, apply leather conditioner (don't really want to soften it), oils like mink oil, candle / paraffin wax, talc / baby powder, etc.   So what say you pards?  Anyone else deal with this before?

6D3A37C2-3902-4B32-A6DB-3DE3DEA80230.jpeg

60CC0540-F523-45FD-BA49-42DE5F3E7B25.jpeg

This thread really needs pictures!

I love the sound of new leather myself.

Just put them on and dry fire practice a lot. This will serve two purposes; 1. Break the holsters in so they won't creak. 2. Get you more used to drawing and re-holstering. 

Well ..... I would probably suggest ear plugs.  I have Gun Rigs I've had for 15 years.  They all still creak and groan.  Maybe I should use them more??  I only shoot three matches a month now.  Have to think about it (shooting more) but I think your gonna have creaking and squeaking ...... forever.

I make my own belts, and holsters and they are so old that I can't remember if they ever creaked. But I keep them soft by rubbing in olive oil. This was the method an old saddle maker told me years ago. It hasn't  hurt my leather and it stays soft and comfortable. The only problem I have is when the wife catches me using her olive oil on my saddle, chaps, and gun leather...

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

This thread really needs pictures!

I love the sound of new leather myself.

Pics added.

I like some creaking.  Currently I make a LOT of noise walking with them haha

48 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Just think how ironic it is that you are half deaf.........otherwise they would be twice as loud 

Or...  imagine how loud it must be if I hear it being half deaf haha

That's the sound of a good leather.  Just ignore the creaking sound.  Just wear it. The sound comes in as a part of a fine rig..  Mine are a few years old and they still creak, don't bother me none. Enjoy and have fun with it.  See you. Happy shooting.

Maybe what you are hearing is either your knees or...the SASS Wire lately! :P Leather on leather will creak.  You might try rubbing the contact surfaces (assuming you can get to them without disassembling the rig) with Ivory soap.  Or, maybe that olive oil treatment will work.  Another possibility is to use a LIGHT application of Lexol Leather Conditioner.  Just wipe on or spray on and wipe off any excess immediately. Best of luck1

Archived