SASS Wire Forum

Non CAS reloading 43 egyptian

Blackface Charlie

I just received a call from an acquaintance of mine regarding reloading 43 Egyptian rounds.   Ammo is available but he cant get it shipped in so reloading is the only legal option.   He heard it can be done both 45 ACP or 45LC dies.   I have both of those and a single stage press I could do this on if I can figure out how to do it and if 45 cal dies will work.    Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks

Blackface Charlie

What brass are you using? If just neck sizing with that press, set up a mark on ram or frame to get a consistant depth.  Or, size a neck to your liking, then cut yourself a stop of proper width from brass shim stock, stiff plastic/cardboard/thin plywood. Set case in shell holder. Set stop along side case to get pinched between top of shell holder, and die-ring of press, halting neck size at correct depth.

Hardest part will be finding shell holder, if real .43 Eg brass.

Normal bullet diameter is .448", so carbide 45 dies intended for .451" can work.

Expect crude, lopsided, buldged results. Real RCBS dies used to be $250 a set.

In poor former student days, I had a rifle, (marked "Universal 54" [film studios]), in .43 Turkish which is just a long .43 Egyptian.  Same head, rim, bullet diameter. Carbide ACP/Colt dies worked well enough. 

I used home annealed .348 Win brass (and shell holder) with 7/16" of brass hobby tubing over case head. Outside of tubing was .43Turk head diameter, inside was .348 Win diameter.  Unique, a case load of Farina, rifle held vertical to keep tube in place; cases formed.  Case buldged just enough at front edge to hold tube in place, length was about right, rim barely engaged extractor.

The only thing I bought was the shell holder, I neck size using a 45 Colt sizer die and seat the bullets with a 45acp seater die, I use enough 3F app to be slightly compressed by the bullet. 

I bought 100  .448- 370 Gr bullets from a guy on ebay

The loads work well in my Egyptian roller and are  light recoiling.

Willy B'

Archived