SASS Wire Forum

Old Tucson, AZ worth vsiting

Irish Pat

Never been there, but wasn't that where High Chapparal was filmed?

Old Tucson is still fun.  The original was burned down in 1995 (right after my dad had a West Point Reunion there).  The new is nice and has a lot of the features of the old.  If you follow the following rules you can get in free:

Members must be dressed in period costume with a SASS badge and must present a SASS ID card.  (Jeans and modern shirts and shoes do not qualify as period costume.)

2.  No live ammunition will be allowed in the Park.  Dummy rounds in gun belts will be allowed provided that the primers are dimpled and/or the brass is drilled.

3.  Guns will be allowed provided that they are unloaded. (Guns will be safety checked at the gate).

4.  No alcohol may be consumed by a SASS member wearing firearms.

5.  SASS rules apply.

Been there a couple times and got in free each time as I was dressed properly and showed my SASS information. Went healed each time and had more than a few take photos of me and with me. Also asked questions thinking I worked at the place. The northern part of the town burned down some time ago but there are still portions of the southern part that was used in movies you may have seen. Yes the set for High Chaparral is there.

Its set up as a tourist destination, there are shows, tours, places to eat, a small train that runs around the entire perminter, there's an old steam train engine that has been used in many different movies.

North of Benson which is on the interstate north of Tombstone is a western town movie set that was used to film several movies including Tombstone and The Quick and the Dead. The caretaker is the one that gives the tours. There are no amenities just the town and the caretaker.  

On 2/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

North of Benson which is on the interstate north of Tombstone is a western town movie set that was used to film several movies including Tombstone and The Quick and the Dead. The caretaker is the one that gives the tours. There are no amenities just the town and the caretaker.  

That's the set called Mescal.  Just opened to the public https://www.mojavemuleskinners.com/mescal-movie-set

31 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Is this the place of which you post?

http://oldtucson.com/

Can't find anything on the site about free admission for SASS...

Go to "visit us" and scroll to the bottom of the page and it covers the SASS entry we have described.

Haven't been there for about ten years, but when  did go, and I have gone three different times, They allowed you to go "healed" but unloaded.  I loved remembering the various locations in all the movies I have watched that were made there, even though an early nineties' fire took a lot of structures.  I would still go and plan to when my next trip to Tucson happens.  Would also suggest Tombstone and the PIMA air museum!

Nimble Fingers

7 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Haven't been there for about ten years, but when  did go, and I have gone three different times, They allowed you to go "healed" but unloaded.  I loved remembering the various locations in all the movies I have watched that were made there, even though an early nineties' fire took a lot of structures.  I would still go and plan to when my next trip to Tucson happens.  Would also suggest Tombstone and the PIMA air museum!

Nimble Fingers

PIMA air museum and a tour of the mothball aircraft nearby is a must see. You can signup for the tour at the museum.

53 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

PIMA air museum and a tour of the mothball aircraft nearby is a must see. You can signup for the tour at the museum.

Yes my parents did that the first time we went. My 24 year old son was 8 at the time and the guide for the B-17 inside was a “side” gunner and took him into the it!  My son leaned out with the machine barrel by his head and waved to us with the guide. Best picture ever!

My wife and I visited Tombstone about 8 years ago. Trip over, heading back to the airport we had a few hours to kill. Ended up stopping at Old Tucson Studio. A nice visit! Sorry I didn't make a day of it. At that time at least, someone from the Studio was offering horseback rides around the area. Different lengths of rides to choose from. We had to go with the one hour ride as our time was limited. What a treat seeing some of these movie sites from the back of a horse! Would like to re-visit and will make a longer day of Old Tucson.

Went there once, in 1989, I think.  I was blown away at the entrance.  All I said was "Mornin".  The response: "Carolina.  I don't know which one."  The greeter confirmed he was military & had made a hobby of regional dialect.  What blew me away is, I speak a confirmed regional dialect that spans the SC/NC border.  

Archived