SASS Wire Forum

SxS Training Drills

Chuck Steak

So - I have tried searching the 'wire for techniques to improve my skill at reloading my SxS.   Searching "reloading" brings up wagons full of info on recipes for loading bullets and shot shells but nothing to put into my toll bag for getting better at putting more shells in my gun when I am on the clock.

I shoot a 12g Stoeger Coach and I am pulling my shells from a slide that mounted on the front of my pistol belt.  The slide carries 8 shells in 'double' slots. 

I have not had any custom work done to the gun yet - I have the philosophy that if I cant do it correctly with what I have - an expensive gun will only allow me to perform poorly with nicer equipment.  

Does anyone have some decent practice drills that have helped them get faster?    I had a half-dozen snap caps - but the truth is - I dont think they are worth what I paid for them.  They weigh as much as unfired shells and since they are smooth aluminum - they fall right out of the gun.  I can shoot on the back of my property - but I am looking for some type of "training plan" to provide focus.  I could just stand in my living room shucking snap caps over my shoulder while I watch the news - I could go in the yard and blast boxes and boxes of ammo into a hay bale two shells at a time - but I would rather work on something a little more structured that has provided results. 

Any thoughts?

First order of business is to get a bunch of these: Palo Verde Snap Caps

Second order of business is to watch the above videos a pick the technique you think would work best for you.

Third order of business is to find a big open space in your house or garage and practice your chosen technique using the snap caps. Practice loading, shooting, shucking and reloading at least six. Eight is even better. Real stages will usually be only four but you need to be proficient with more if necessary.

Final order of business is to go out and do it with live ammo. 

P.S. You WANT light weight snap caps. When you practice loading the weight of the shells makes no difference at all. But weight makes a huge difference when you practice shucking. Do not practice shucking with full shells. The added weight can mask bad habits you’re developing. 

SxS loading/ Operational drills.

In my opinion; it all starts with the gun.  

Receiver shape and size.

You want to find one with a narrow receiver profile.

Tall and skinny works best.

Next - shell insertion.

Take a look at the opening to the chamber; is it wide open or constricted?

The bigger the opening; the easier to insert shells.

I have found the best openings to be nearly rectangular.

Next - forearm construction.

You want enough forearm to get a good solid grip on; but not so much as it feels like a brick in your hand.

Again, this is fully subjective, but I prefer my shotgun forearms to have a little fore and aft movement in them.  This movement aids immensely in getting shells out of the gun.

Barrel construction

A lot of SxS shooters like having two barrels next to each other; this is simply too much weight and redundant parts.

Again, my opinion, but the best SxS shotguns have only a single barrel with a secondary barrel (let's call it a "tube") underneath it.  This makes the gun lighter and again works better with the taller receiver.

Hot rod tips

The rules say no ejectors on the SxS shotguns; but if you follow my advice and find yourself one of the tall, narrow receiver single barrel versions with the rectangular shell entry and moving forearm...

You can get away with having an ejector and no one will even question it.

Good luck.

9 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I shoot a 12g Stoeger Coach and I am pulling my shells from a slide that mounted on the front of my pistol belt.  The slide carries 8 shells in 'double' slots. 

I have not had any custom work done to the gun yet - I have the philosophy that if I cant do it correctly with what I have - an expensive gun will only allow me to perform poorly with nicer equipment.  

Don't know about expensive, but I can tell you it is WAY more fun and efficient to use a well tuned double. The chamber profile makes a big difference. Some are boxy and some are streamlined. Look at a good skb with the chambers slicked up. I aint saying it cant be done, but it's a lot easier to go fast in a corvette than it is in a silverado.

I could just stand in my living room shucking snap caps over my shoulder while I watch the news

You can also sit on the couch and watch the news. While you do that, practice LOADING. Some smarty britches told me we all pull the trigger at the same speed. It's what we do between pulls that counts. 

- I could go in the yard and blast boxes and boxes of ammo into a hay bale two shells at a time 

That will help more than you think. Cant just dry fire. 

Your original post does not indicate if you are using a timer to measure your improvement, and since no one else has mentioned it yet, always practice with a timer so you can objectively measure your progress.  

Lot's of good information and advice here. I learned my technique from watching Deuce's video. Shooting Bull's post sums it all very nicely.

Just after watching a few of these videos - I have been consistently trying to "stab" my shells into the chamber when I reload.  I have seen the 'Longhunter' videos a few times but didn't really pay that much attention to how he was presenting the shells until now.  That method is pretty consistent through the videos I have been watching and it is NOT the way I have been doing it. 

I learned from watching duece and carty then modified their method to fit my style of shooting. 

Just remember nobody is built the same, don't fight your body. Find the most efficient movents. 

As for the stab method.  I've never seen anyone stab as fast as a proper rock in load like duece does. 

My dry fire hulls:

Deprimed AA Winchester, cut to 2 3/8” OAL,

Fill the primer pocket with Red Silicone Gasket Maker, dry overnight, shave off excess with razor blade,

Roll crimp the hull. No wad or lead

Simulates a fired hull for shucking.

6-10 on the belt. SG on a table.

ATB, pickup SG, load 2 from belt.

Pull trigger twice, open and shuck,

Load 2 from belt, pull trigger twice.

I started with par time of 8 seconds, now down to par time of 5.25 seconds.

Practice 4-10 sequences in the morning before loading guns in PU for match.

Amarillo Rattler

5 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

Just after watching a few of these videos - I have been consistently trying to "stab" my shells into the chamber when I reload.  I have seen the 'Longhunter' videos a few times but didn't really pay that much attention to how he was presenting the shells until now.  That method is pretty consistent through the videos I have been watching and it is NOT the way I have been doing it. 

Good catch on your part. One thing you’ll want to “perfect” is how you grab shells from your belt. Find a way that allows you to get a good CONSISTENT grip on them. You want to be able to present fresh shells to the chambers the exact same way every time. This will greatly reduce fumbling which will obviously greatly reduce your times. 

Something that hasn’t been mentioned is your shotgun belt. Hopefully you have one that holds shells in pairs. That’s not a hard and fast requirement, but it sure helps when you’re grabbing pairs for a SxS. 

13 minutes ago, Pecos Bill - The Legend said:

Anyone know of a source for buying dummy shells that are lightweight to practice shucking, and can be dry fired?

Or does everyone make their own?

You might talk @Pit Bull Tex into making you some.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Thanks Tyrel for taking the time to make this video! Excellent!  SCJ

2 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Thanks Tyrel for taking the time to make this video! Excellent!  SCJ

Credit goes to Deuce Stevens, I merely pasted a link to his YouTube video.

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Credit goes to Deuce Stevens, I merely pasted a link to his YouTube video.

Kudos to Deuce then!  SCJ

On 2/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, Pecos Bill - The Legend said:

Anyone know of a source for buying dummy shells that are lightweight to practice shucking, and can be dry fired?

Or does everyone make their own?

Palo Verde Snap Caps are what you seek. They’re exactly what you’re looking for and of incredibly high quality. 

On 2/17/2019 at 11:43 AM, Shooting Bull said:

Palo Verde Snap Caps are what you seek. They’re exactly what you’re looking for and of incredibly high quality. 

Good tip, Shooting Bull!

I opened up the Palo Verde Snap Caps for 12ga. shells today.  

It is really nice to be able to practice loading, pulling the trigger, ejecting, etc...

(I got 2 4-packs, so I can practice a lot of reloads ... just in case I might need to keep reloading :))

They seem to be a very nice product and work great.

Thanks.

Archived