SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 650 vs Lee Loadmaster

Hoss

I started reloading with a Loadmaster. Loaded about 23K rounds on it. For a variety of reasons, upgraded to a Dillon 650.  I’ve loaded 9500 on it. The Dillon is a superior piece of machinery. No doubt. Here are some pros and cons of each

cost

Dillon with case feeder . Round #s $1000

Lee Loadmaster $350

case feeder:  Lee is better, much simpler

primer system:

Dillon is better, I like priming on upstroke on separate step, can feel the primer seat.  Loading primers is a pain. Pecking at primers with the tube is an aggravation. I got a Frankfort Arsenal vibrio prime, I load them directly into the Dillon primer tube. Lee system much simpler. I had much more trouble with the Dilllon primer than Lee 

the Dillon is somewhat smoother to operate than the Lee. 

Lee is a little faster, but not hugely so. 

The Lee us a much simpler machine. Dillon recommends a spare parts kit with 40 or so of the most likely to fail parts. Dillon will replace them for free, but you don’t have to wait on the mail to fix your press. Lee does not have 40 parts total!!! Much simpler machine. And Lee will also replace broken parts for free. 

Dillon CustomerService does answer their phone, but the techs are not always very patient or good listeners. I had an alignment issue that took a while to resolve.  They just wanted to send parts that I did not think were the problem.  Lee can be hard to get on the phone. But I really haven’t needed them. 

I don’t want to go back to the Loadmaster, but for the money, a better bargain. If I could only have one press I would take a Lee Classic Turret. 

Why make fun of this post.  If it is repetitive, go on to the next.  I don't know Hoss, but it was a nice post.

1 hour ago, Kirk James said:

Why make fun of this post.  If it is repetitive, go on to the next.  I don't know Hoss, but it was a nice post.

I guess because I'm a jerk...

Our it could be because the Wire has had 15.2 billion posts like it.

It'll leave it to you to decide.

Phantom

I've never owned a Lee, and I really like my 650, but I have been surprised by the fact that it broke before I had been using it for a year.  Just a spring, but it took two weeks for Dillon to get the replacement to me.  When I used a SDB it went for almost four years before it broke (another spring).  If I had it to do over I would still upgrade to the 650 though, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

While my post can easily be taken as sarcasm, it also contains my overall (and very accurate) point.  It's nothing more than personal preference.  It might be as simple as someone liking the color blue more then they like red.  Throw all the data out there you want, it's still going to end up being "I like this one more than I like that one." 

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

> snip <

I got a Frankfort Arsenal vibrio prime, I load them directly into the Dillon primer tube.

> snip <

Yep ... used a turret for years ... doing a lot of different calibers ... low volume. I always sized and primed the brass separately.

When I started shooting more than 500 rounds a month in the same caliber I bought a 650.

>> But I want to ask you about your vibra-prime experience. 

I have been using the vibra-prime to load my small primer tubes and it does a great job ... it fills the dillon tubes like right now (don't even use the tubes that came with the v-prime) ... never a problem.

The large primers are another story. I have never been able to fill a tube w/o having to dislodge a sideways primer ... have given up completely trying to use if for large primers (always federal) ... still pecking w/ the pickup tube.

How is it working for you?? (v-prime) s2.gif.bebb93c11f079530f56ecda254bbaba7.gif  

I'm sorry, ... I'm not Hoss.  But your post asked "How is it working for you??"  So I figure I'm a suitable substitute for "you" for a reply here.  At least for now, anyway.  But.  I shoot gobs more large primer, and Federals, than anything else.  And a vibra-prime tickles and really doesn't do well for me.  I don't find pecking for 1000 primers to be a bother.  Doesn't take very long at all.  I got full price for the vibrator thingie and don't miss it at all.  YMMV

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Yep ... used a turret for years ... doing a lot of different calibers ... low volume. I always sized and primed the brass separately.

When I started shooting more than 500 rounds a month in the same caliber I bought a 650.

>> But I want to ask you about your vibra-prime experience. 

I have been using the vibra-prime to load my small primer tubes and it does a great job ... it fills the dillon tubes like right now (don't even use the tubes that came with the v-prime) ... never a problem.

The large primers are another story. I have never been able to fill a tube w/o having to dislodge a sideways primer ... have given up completely trying to use if for large primers (always federal) ... still pecking w/ the pickup tube.

How is it working for you?? (v-prime) s2.gif.bebb93c11f079530f56ecda254bbaba7.gif  

I've only used it for small pistol.  Like you, I load direct into the Dillon tube after taking the plastic tip off.  I did get a lot of jammed primers.  Another pard suggested sanding the inside of the Vibra primer tray.  Take some sandpaper, roll it into a tub, insert in hole and twist.  knocks off any rough edges. pretty much took care of mine.  now the primers run down the hole like ants! 

For those who don't like my post, DONT READ IT.  my intent was to give some honest pros and cons of Loadmaster vs Dillon  Given that i've used both, I thought I could give an accurate opinion.  Not everybody is an expert. Some of us may be stoooopid and trying to figure out what they might want to buy.  So I figured to share MY experience. And if I helped Patagonia Pete or any others with a Vibra Prime issue, thats just a bonus.  

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

For those who don't like my post, DONT READ IT.  my intent was to give some honest pros and cons of Loadmaster vs Dillon  Given that i've used both, I thought I could give an accurate opinion.  Not everybody is an expert. Some of us may be stoooopid and trying to figure out what they might want to buy.  So I figured to share MY experience. And if I helped Patagonia Pete or any others with a Vibra Prime issue, thats just a bonus.  

This is an open forum. I've posted globs of crap that folks have laughed at... Shaken their heads at...etc, etc.

I'll never tell them to just ignore my post if they find it stoopid. Sometimes it can enlighten me:o

But alas, social media seems to be a place where we are to simply affirm an opinion or shut up.

These post truly do become a Ford vs Chevy kind of discussion... Just my stoopid opinion:D

Load master warning _ "Only CCI or Remington brand primers are safe use with this press. If you plan on using any brand besides CCI and Remington, you must install the included explosion shield. "  

Archived