SASS Wire Forum

Northeast Regional Happening

Seven Mile Tom

Northeast Regional Announced

The 2019 Northeast Regional, Guns of August, will be hosted by the Big Iron Rangers and the Middletown Sportsmen club. The dates are August 9-11. Side matches will be on Friday and the main match will be shot on Saturday and Sunday.  Since we just received the news from SASS today and the fact that several of our key members are heading to Winter Range, we may not be able to get the application and other pertinent information on our web site until after Winter Range.  However, for those interested in camping you can call the Middletown Sportsmen club at 513-422-5112 for reservations.  We hope you can join us in August for a great shoot set up by Lassiter.

Thanks guys for picking this up. See you in August.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Glad to see that the Northeast Regional found a new home even though it landed in the Midwest. :FlagAm:

52 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Ok, I give up...WHERE in the Northeast is this club?

I checked the registration form.   It's not.

It's in New Lebanon, Ohio.   

I wish the people putting it on all the best, and I hope it's a great shoot that many people will enjoy. 

But it seems strange to me to hold the "Northeast Regional" out in the Midwest. 

I'm just happy to know that all of our state champs in the Northeast Region will have a regional match to attend should they choose too.  As for location, the word went out to ALL clubs in the region.  How many replied, I don't know.  I know we did not for many reasons.  The first being that we host our state match and, honestly, I'm not that crazy!  But this club did step up, and having done this before they were probably well prepared to put a match together on shorter notice than desired.  I have never been to Guns of August but I know of many that attended quite often.  My thanks to the fine cowboys and cowgirls that stepped up to the task.

Howdy

Ohio is in the North East?

Sorry, but I got spoiled by the North East regional being 1/2 hour from my house in the Land of the Pilgrims.

Ohio is a bit farther then I care to drive.

Just think, based on that kind of geography, the Midwest regional should be in Nevada and the Western in Hawaii. Maybe we can get a UK match in New England:rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

I'm just happy to know that all of our state champs in the Northeast Region will have a regional match to attend should they choose too.  As for location, the word went out to ALL clubs in the region.  How many replied, I don't know.  I know we did not for many reasons.  The first being that we host our state match and, honestly, I'm not that crazy!  But this club did step up, and having done this before they were probably well prepared to put a match together on shorter notice than desired.  I have never been to Guns of August but I know of many that attended quite often.  My thanks to the fine cowboys and cowgirls that stepped up to the task.

Plus 1 to this. Any dissatisfaction with the geography of the region should voice that to SASS. Kudos to this club for taking it on.

I will just say that Ohio used to be in the Mideast region and GoA did a fine job hosting that regional.  Then SASS dissolved the Mideast and put Ohio in the Northeast region.  I travelled from Ohio to NH last year to attend our new regional at the Great Nor'Easter and enjoyed every minute of it and met a lot of new friends while visiting NH, which is geographically almost as far at the other end of the NE as you can get.   So, I invite all of the northeast shooters to make the reverse travels and join us in Ohio at Guns of August.   You will most likely have the same type of experience I enjoyed last year.  You will shoot a great match.  You will meet new cowboy friends and if your are lucky you will head home with some hardware.

I would have to drive 12 hours each way Instead of one, which for me is too far, but I hope the Regional at the new

location is a great success and every shooter has a safe and fun time.

We made the trip to NH for the NE Regional along with Johnny Longpants. Yes it was a long trip for us but it was also a great shoot. I agree it's not centrally located in the region but neither was New Hampshire. I commend Big Iron Rangers for taking on this shoot on short notice. I invite everyone to the other end of the region this year. We have attended 5 Guns of August and I can tell you that you are in for a great shoot put on by top people.

kudos to the Big Iron Rangers for taking the NE Regional,  they have always put on top notch events, in every aspect,

yes, it is ridiculous that OH is in the NE region,, but it is what it is,,, hopefully it can change

A friend told me about Guns of August a couple of weeks ago.  I have never been there, but decided to do this shoot also.  We are attending their Smoke in the Woods Match this Spring.

Everything I have heard about these shoots has been positive.

I have been looking for the APP on the SASS Website for about a week, but first the Links did not work, now I can't find the posting.  Luckily my friend sent me an application which went into the mail today.

Thanks Hooligan.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that they are going to hold the SASS Northeast Regional, especially for those who won their SASS State Championships and now have a place to use their free entry.  It is a shame that it is the same weekend as the SASS Vermont State Championships.

SASS really should put Ohio in the SASS Midwest Region.

Yes, the SASSmap is weird.  That being said, Petey has been attending Guns of August for many years.  I got to go last year for the first time, only because Jack B Nimble has retired.  I must say this is probably the most (physically) shooter-friendly range I've been to in a couple of decades of participation.  Not only are all the berms covered; they provide a covered scorekeeper's stand at each berm!  Can't overstate the importance if UR using paper.  And don't forget to tip the Boy Scouts for providing troop transport and dragging yr gun carts or toting yr stuff up the hill.  They're too nice to ask.

2 hours ago, Dead_Head said:

Glad to see that they are going to hold the SASS Northeast Regional, especially for those who won their SASS State Championships and now have a place to use their free entry.  It is a shame that it is the same weekend as the SASS Vermont State Championships.

SASS really should put Ohio in the SASS Midwest Region.

14 states in the NE region, that's a potential for giving away 28 free shoots to all the state champions. Does the host club have to eat those free shoots or does SASS compensate the club for those?

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

14 states in the NE region, that's a potential for giving away 28 free shoots to all the state champions. Does the host club have to eat those free shoots or does SASS compensate the club for those?

Good question. Does the host club still have to pay SASS their each shooter fee for those 28 shooter and eat the expense too.

8 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Good question. Does the host club still have to pay SASS their each shooter fee for those 28 shooter and eat the expense too.

No.  As per the contract:  The incorporation of a $5 per paid shooter sanctioning fee helps to cover some of the administrative costs incurred by the sanctioning parent organization (SASS). *This fee is assessed on PAYING shooters only. Any comped entries provided by the Host Club are not subject to the $5 sanctioning fee. (Sponsors, Volunteers, Berm Marshals, etc.)

This is for the state match.  However, it's the same for each higher level of match.

There is the potential for the club to be required to provide 28 free shoots, and the Host club has to eat the Free Shoots.  However, they are not required to send SASS the $7.00 per shooter sanctioning fee.  (BHB, the fee structure is $5.00 for State Match, $7.00 for Regional, and it was $9.00 for Divisional).  In reality, they will likely only see half of that number, but it is still a bit of a hit financially.  It is a big issue with the current NE Region, it may be small in land mass, but it has a lot of states!

8 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

There is the potential for the club to be required to provide 28 free shoots, and the Host club has to eat the Free Shoots.  However, they are not required to send SASS the $7.00 per shooter sanctioning fee.  (BHB, the fee structure is $5.00 for State Match, $7.00 for Regional, and it was $9.00 for Divisional).  In reality, they will likely only see half of that number, but it is still a bit of a hit financially.  It is a big issue with the current NE Region, it may be small in land mass, but it has a lot of states!

The potential 28 free shoots could be a deciding factor with clubs that have thought about hosting the NE regional in the future. 

We have been to GOA 3 times in the last 14 years.    It is a great shoot.   Lassiter writes gunfighter friendly stages that are good for all.   The props are good and most of the stages are in the shade.    The Boy Scouts help out too for fundraising.    Even the Wild Bunch side match is a good match.    Hairless and I plan to go.

Try this link for the GOA entry form. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAonV9dmwOkBDcIjW0AJsud1fox_MR2S/view  Until the restructuring GOA was my regional, a 2 hour drive from Indy. We now drive 10 hours to Gunsmoke. Look at some of the distances those out west must drive. Makes the trips we make seem like a trip to the gun store.

With regards to how "far away," the Northeast Regional is from the actual Northeast, I offer the following information.

We New Englanders, for good or for ill, are very provincial.  If something is more than 20 minutes by car, it's considered to be "far away."   And even if it's closer than that, if you have to cross a state line, (which is easy to do) it is for some reason considered to be too far way to be practical in some cases.   For example, I work in Nashua NH, a city on the Mass border.   Burlington, Mass is closer than Manchester NH.   But Burlington is considered to be impractical to go to, just because it's in a different state.   Go fig.

To the New England mind, anything West of the Hudson is "far away," even if you live in the Westernmost parts of the region.  We will *reluctantly* think of New York State as part of the "Northeast," and that's about it.   Maybe some will give you Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but they are more than likely thought of as "mid Atlantic" by the locals.  Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia and Washington DC are considered either that, or Down South, depending on who you talk to.   And of course, Ohio is in the Midwest.

Now, I hope that the shoot out in Ohio is a huge success.  I am sure it will be an excellent shoot, and that the host club is a great one.   But a lot of folks from New England are just going to dismiss it as too far away.   We have a very different mindset about distances here than folks do in those big square states out West (of the Hudson). 

Oh, and we never eat fish West of said river.

Archived