SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Model Vaqueros 44-40

Hillbilly Drifter

Last fall I placed a WTB ad in the classified looking for a set of Old Model Vaqueros with Bisley grip frames in 44-40. It was sort of a needle in a haystack WTB as the OMVs never came in Bisley and then upped the difficulty factor by wanting 44-40. Well a fine member here contacted me with an offer on this set. They have Shotgun Boogie short strokes and half-cock hammers and full action work, performed by Shotgun Boogie. I shot the heck out of them today at the range and they are super sweet. Looking forward to some matches with them. I will be shooting them with smokeless for awhile. May try the holy black in the future.. here are some pics after I cleaned them up today. EDIT OMV were offered in Bisley, Plow handle, and Birdshead grip variation.

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

1 minute ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

OMVs came in Bisley. I've had one for 20 years. 

I sure don't doubt you but I was told different everywhere I tried when looking for them. I also have a set of OMVs in 45 Colt that are bisleys. 

1 minute ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I sure don't doubt you but I was told different everywhere I tried when looking for them. I also have a set of OMVs in 45 Colt that are bisleys. 

Did you get your information from gun stores? You know that is the center for all intelligent statements and credible information. 

1 minute ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Did you get your information from gun stores? You know that is the center for all intelligent statements and credible information. 

actually got that information from folks on here.....

17 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

OLG I have not checked them. Just using .427 bullets like the previous owner did. I am shooting smokeless for now.

See how easy that .427 bullet will pass through each throat from the chamber end of the cyl.

I have seen many that would not accept a .425 pin gauge.

The folks that say no OMV's in Bisley grip frame are wrong.

Almost bought a pair of .44's, SS 5 1/2" bbls many years ago.

The grip just didn't fit my hand 'rite'.........

OLG

Had 2 pair of OMV Bisleys in 44 Mag   . 1 blued  1 stainless.  Both gone now but have 1 pair OMV Bisleys in 357 Mag in my safe    GW

I've been shooting OMV in .44-40 with .425" throats since they came out, using .430" hardcast (BHN 17-22) since about a year after Ruger came out with the OMV's in that cartridge, with a charge of 8.0 gr. Universal.  When my eyes were a little younger, I could easily get 1-5/8" 5-round groups off the bench at 25 yards.  MV = 950 ft/sec from the 7-1/2" barreled gun, maybe slightly less from the 5-1/2".  What apparently happens is the bullet swages down going through the throats, but the dwell time is too short for the compressive stresses to dissipate as heat, and the bullets re-expand when they hit the forcing cone. People keep telling me that accuracy won't be any good, and I'll get heavy leading.  Wrong! I clean once a year whether it needs it or not...and generally doesn't! :D

HD, them pistols are fine. I probably put 2-3k rounds through them without a hick up. 

Hi Hillbilly Drifter.  I guess I am just a hiibilly as I don't drift too much any more.

I wanted to try some Black Powder, just for the fun of it, so I just bought two Uberti Cattleman II Revolvers in 44-40 and an 1866 in 44-40 to make smoke.  I just did not want to put black in my SS Vaqueros or 73 and I wanted to try that old original caliber.  I wanted the option of shooting either smokeless or black powder from day to day which ever way I felt for that day. 

I tell my wife I am just going out to make a lot of smoke and noise to have fun.

I will be seeing you in the Spring.  Keep your powder dry,

Lone Rider

Looking forward to shooting with you soon Lone Rider. I may try black in these, not sure yet. I now have a 66 and a 73 Miroku in 44-40 to go with these. I have loaded 1100 rounds in smokeless for them. 

Archived