SASS Wire Forum

New Patriot - Place to Hide Guns

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have one of these. https://www.tacticaltraps.com/hdcompact/?fbclid=IwAR22hBQmQg1ItKM4TzPMOzKMp7vCDo55REf_pLyOCZ3RBi72arnZpAvQOfs ?

Are they as nice as the description would lead you to believe?

They are on sale for $197. What do you think of that price?

I realize that burglars are probably aware of them. So, a better place for guns when we are not home would be the safe.

Regards,

Allie

Pretty neat invention.

I'm going to proffer the idea that only a small percentage of burglars or home invaders would recognize that piece of furniture for what it is. Most of these low lifes don't have the cerebral capacity to do too much research and they want to get in-and-out as fast as they can, only with what they can carry. On the off chance, the severely off chance, the burglar that broke into your house recognized the thing then you might have a problem. I think the probability of that is fairly low however. 

While a well built gun safe is probably the best bet it is also a burglar magnet that screams here are all the valuables. What's to keep said burglar from just leaving and coming back with the right tools to get into your safe? Safes are not hard to get into with the right tools and a bit of time. But again the chances of that happening are even more remote. But in this crazy world anything is possible.

This invention however exists for out of sight out of mind quick access to your firearm when needed. And for that purpose it looks like a fantastic option.

@Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217,

I had seen this one time before but never gave it much thought.

Now that you have raised the issue again, I will have to reconsider.

When leaving the house, besides the actual hidden firearms, others are put in the safe. If I had one the units below, I would probably keep them in the safe when leaving the house and only use it for access in case of an emergency. Would still have the bedside firearm available at all times otherwise.

I've posted the pic below from the link you provided so others can get a quick glance at the topic without having to open another web page.

527149136_tacticaltrap.thumb.JPG.3174ad07d91e7878f0773e25b88c1538.JPG

I have an inordinate amount of decorated cigar boxes and fake books around the house.

I can see using it for cash or valuables. But not firearms. How quick can I get to my key card?

I like looking at those "hidden in plain view" devices. It depends on what your comfort/confidence level is with that device. Not long ago, there was a couple of violent rural home invasions near us. We did plant firearms in various locations. We also found out later that these crimes were planned, and the criminals knew what was there and where it was. We should probably be more aware of who we invite into our homes, and what they can see.

I heard a county sheriff, who was experiencing a plague of burglaries, ask the bad guys in interviews what made them pick certain houses. Their answer was startling. They said that they figured homes with an American flag flying had the best odds of containing firearms they could steal. And they were right-until they were caught!

Now I'm not saying to not fly Old Glory. But be aware that those thoughts are out there.

The best place to have a gun, for your protection, is on your person. (my opinion) Holster up around the house and yard? Why not? You can cover it with a shirt. Why go through all the red tape of a CCL just to come home and put it on a shelf? Remember key times for home burglaries are 10AM-2PM.

Miss Allie, I would consider hollowed out books placed with other books in a book shelf. I would think most crooks would fuss with books. The gimmick shelves have been around for a long time. I would think burglars could figure them out.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I like looking at those "hidden in plain view" devices. It depends on what your comfort/confidence level is with that device. Not long ago, there was a couple of violent rural home invasions near us. We did plant firearms in various locations. We also found out later that these crimes were planned, and the criminals knew what was there and where it was. We should probably be more aware of who we invite into our homes, and what they can see.

I heard a county sheriff, who was experiencing a plague of burglaries, ask the bad guys in interviews what made them pick certain houses. Their answer was startling. They said that they figured homes with an American flag flying had the best odds of containing firearms they could steal. And they were right-until they were caught!

Now I'm not saying to not fly Old Glory. But be aware that those thoughts are out there.

The best place to have a gun, for your protection, is on your person. (my opinion) Holster up around the house and yard? Why not? You can cover it with a shirt. Why go through all the red tape of a CCL just to come home and put it on a shelf? Remember key times for home burglaries are 10AM-2PM.

Always armed here. I think the latin for it is Semper Pistola.

I could be wrong.

;)

75C0C25F-FA26-4B30-B2A8-B77DF49DC016.jpeg

That pretty bear just wants a hug! Look how cute! :o

On 2/13/2019 at 12:51 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have one of these. https://www.tacticaltraps.com/hdcompact/?fbclid=IwAR22hBQmQg1ItKM4TzPMOzKMp7vCDo55REf_pLyOCZ3RBi72arnZpAvQOfs ?

Are they as nice as the description would lead you to believe?

They are on sale for $197. What do you think of that price?

My wife bought me one last year exactly like that.  I have not mounted it yet, but it feels solid.  The one in the picture is darker than mine, I may have to put a stain on mine now.  The only reason I haven't mounted it is because I can't find a good spot where I have studs in the wall.  I think I'm going to have to mount a longer 2x4 and mount this thing to it.  I would not trust a sheetrock anchor to hold this thing up.  It's kinda heavy even before you put a gun in there. 

I have misgivings about the keycard thing based on how often the keycards at hotels fail.  But it won't be the only accessible gun so I'm not too worried. 

I'm pretty sure my wife paid either $300 or $500, so the price does look good. 

I don't have one, but the idea is sensible to me.  But Ramblin Gambler's concern about the reliability of a key car is for real.  Who hasn't had to go back to the front desk? Big sales always scare me.  Are they getting ready to fold the tent? Have warranty issues done them in? 

Having said all that, I may buy one.

Archived