SASS Wire Forum

Which do you do?

Alpo

You keep a loaded, magazine-fed, long gun (thus no single-shots or SxSs) in you house for protection from blue helmets, mutant zombie bikers, or just random burglars.

Do you have the chamber loaded, so all you have to do is cock it or remove the safety,  or just the magazine loaded so you have to chamber one first?

Probably get different answers on other boards, but I'm thinking that here on a cowboy board it would be hammer down on an empty, since y'all are used to having to work the action before you can shoot.

I keep this old Montgomery Ward "Hawthorne Viking" close by, chamber empty. Nothing says, "WRONG HOUSE" like a pump shotgun cycling in the dark. ;)

100_2385.JPG

Yep, I've got a Remington 870 pump behind the bedroom door, magazine loaded, nothing in the chamber. Also have a couple of AR-15's strategically located out of sight in other places in the house.

Yes, I am wearing a tin foil hat as I set here and type this...

SG:  Mossberg 930, mag full, chamber empty.

Pistol on night stand:   SIG P229 Legend in .357 SIG.   'At The Ready'  with 1st shot DA.

P.S. - Streamlight 3200 Lumen 'night blinder'.

..........Widder

Schoolmarm keeps a '97 by the bedroom door with a dish of shells on a stand beside it.  Cowgirl all the way.

I recently obtained a Mossberg 835. It stands within reach, mag tube full and one on the carrier.  

My Para lies at hand beside the bed. One in the pipe and 13 more in the mag. Para has a half cock and I sweep the hammer back as I present it.  I don't shoot WB because I practice a specific routine in bringing my handgun to bear.  I'll cock the hammer on my DA revolver if I have to draw it!

The SG by my bedside has one in the chamber and the safety on.  I used to keep it with an empty chamber and the slide released, but I decided I really didn't like being forced to make all that noise cocking it first.  If I really really want to make the terrifying noise, I can cock it anyway and I'm right where I would have been if the chamber had been empty. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

SG:  Mossberg 930, mag full, chamber empty.

Pistol on night stand:   SIG P229 Legend in .357 SIG.   'At The Ready'  with 1st shot DA.

P.S. - Streamlight 3200 Lumen 'night blinder'.

..........Widder

That 229 in .357 is a nice piece, ain’t it Widder? I do the same with mine.

Yes, that's all I'm saying.

Long guns (plural) hammer down, empty chamber, safety off. 

Semi Auto handguns, chambered, cocked and locked (yep, 1911s)

Revolvers, DA, full cylinders.  

AR(s), mags loaded throughout.  870 tube loaded by the bed. Sxs behind the door with box of shells. Smith 8 shot 357 by the bed with moon clips. Smith 44 mag in the kitchen pantry. Wife has beretta 92 on her night stand. 22 buried in a tube by my garden spot so I can pull it out easy. May or may not have a pistol in a baggie in the toilet tanks(dont judge me, I spend a lot of time in there). Other than that, and one in most of the other rooms I aint tellin nothing either.

12 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

May or may not have a pistol in a baggie in the toilet tanks(dont judge me, I spend a lot of time in there)

I wouldn't do that.  I mounted a rifle rack in my bathroom.  Before I was married, I had enough room in the drawers to keep a pistol in one. 

Ithaca 10 gauge 3-1/2" Magnum with load in the chamber,, S&W .44 Rem Magnum on head of bed with 6, C. Sharps .50-140 3-1/4" on window side of bed. I live alone in Farthest North Idaho on the British Columbia border in grizzley, black bear, wolf and cougar so no curious grandchildren.

Archived