SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart? (Creating One Thank you)

David Balthazar

Thank you all for you responses here, which helped me down the path.   As a result, I have already addressed my temporary cart issues and have $140 into it. 

I expect another $20-40 more as I just need some wood, screws, and wooden boxes now. 

Looking for a good place to start/find a simple gun cart?  I am already aware that a "muzzle up" attitude is the way to go for longarms, etc.  At this point, I am looking to rig something on to a handcart-but don't know if this is truly ideal...

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Been run'n a 4 gun deluxe for almost 10 yrs now.

Easy to push too.

https://ruggedgear.com/

OLG

Yup, same here.  The RG carts are so light that, essentially, you're only schlepping the guns and ammo, and not the weight of the cart.  The handmade wooden carts are often works of art, but they can be heavy as hell even when empty.

The 'normal' route is to throw something together quickly.

Then down the trail you build/buy THE GREATEST GUN CART KNOWN TO MAN!!!  (which weighs a ton)

Then end up with a Rugged Gear one.

Here are some on the internet:  https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+cart+on+dolly&rlz=1C1LDJZ_enUS500US644&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbx_Tum7ngAhVOCKwKHa4UB7QQ_AUIDygC&biw=1067&bih=512

A lot of folks love the rugged gear carts.  I am not among them.  Just not my cup of tea.

Go ahead and throw something together from your hand cart, use it for a while, then upgrade or make something that better suits your needs as you learn what those needs are over time.

For our first couple matches, we used a cart like you would use in your garden with gun cases on it. Someone saw what we were using and offered to make us a "real" cart. Get to some matches and let it be known that you are looking. There are used carts around and no one wants to ship them. I bet the worse your rigged cart is the sooner someone will help you locate something better.

Also, if it is a big match like WR or EOT, you can rent one. 

1 hour ago, David Balthazar said:

Those prices are enough to make you keep walking back to the truck, lol :wacko:

Might have to rig one up for the first match or two to see if this new hobby sticks!

Post a WTB in classifieds. ;)

Push'n wood carts gets old after time, and even more so on a hot summer day.

Cry one time-Buy one time.

OLG

2 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Looking for a good place to start/find a simple gun cart?  I am already aware that a "muzzle up" attitude is the way to go for longarms, etc.  At this point, I am looking to rig something on to a handcart-but don't know if this is truly ideal...

I am now building my 3rd gun cart.  I have changed my ideas of what I need to carry since I first started to now.  The cart I am working on now I hope Yul Lose will like what I am working on and not be mad for me stealing some of his design elements.  I love the gun carts (furniture) he creates.

My first cart was a monstrosity that should have required turn signals and a license plate!  Then I built a 'sensible' sized cart out of scraps.  Only expense was a little hardware and a pair of wheels from Northern Tool.  That cart served me well for several years.  My wife started shooting with me in 2017 and my little cart was soon deemed obsolete as it was just not voluminous enough to transport gear for two people.  This is when I finally spent the money for a rugged gear and I've never looked back.  So my advice, throw something together for now.  If the hobby sticks splurge for a rugged gear some day.

Goggle" Pinterest" online.   Enter gun carts in search .   Some of you might see you and your cart on there.    Lots of pictures to look at.   Lots of recipes also       GW

5 hours ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

I am now building my 3rd gun cart.  I have changed my ideas of what I need to carry since I first started to now.  The cart I am working on now I hope Yul Lose will like what I am working on and not be mad for me stealing some of his design elements.  I love the gun carts (furniture) he creates.

HMD use whatever design elements you want. Thanks for the compliments and I can’t wait to see what you’ve built. I like looking at everyone’s carts, there are some great craftsmen out there and very ingenious creations that work very well.

So Yul, Are who saying that you are like that judge on Forced in Fire? But instead of saying, "It will kill," you say, "it will carry guns."

9 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

So Yul, Are who saying that you are like that judge on Forced in Fire? But instead of saying, "It will kill," you say, "it will carry guns."

Something like that. If it’ll carry guns I’d like to see it. When I first got into CAS all I did was look at gun carts, they fascinated me.

9 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Solid tires (tubes go flat, tubeless leak), big tires (they roll better in soft dirt/sand), collapsible (so it fits in a trunk).

9 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

I started by building a plywood "cabinet" to hold two long-guns that I then bungeed to a dolly.

That worked well until the wife started shooting - then I bought a Rugged Gear.

Bad Element built me mine several years back from scrap wood, wheels from a hardware store, and a replacement plow handle. I’m in the process of finishing a very similar one (but stained red) for Little Red Rampage. It’s light for a wood cart, inexpensive, and should last a good long time. 

3F6BF40F-1586-427C-B5F6-6F69D2485846.jpeg

Hi Dave,

I have a wooden guncart that I love but if I was looking for a functional, simple, cart; I would check out the Hooligan cart that Papa Dave sells.

They are light, simple, and functional.   

Rugged Gear carts are good too but be careful you don't bend the front wheel!

Mo 

Thank you all for you responses here, which helped me down the path.   As a result, I have already addressed my temporary cart issues and have $140 into it. 

I expect another $20-40 more as I just need some wood, screws, and wooden boxes now. 

On 2/13/2019 at 5:32 PM, Trooper Ozzy said:

Harbor freight. Around $50. Starting my 3rd year. 

IMG_20180118_055631.jpg

This is the direction I went also. However, it is bulky and large. I have to load mine into the back of a jeep unlimited and it barely fits and requires too much twisting and muscle on my aging body. I may try to figure out how to make it break down into two easy pieces.

11 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

This is the direction I went also. However, it is bulky and large. I have to load mine into the back of a jeep unlimited and it barely fits and requires too much twisting and muscle on my aging body. I may try to figure out how to make it break down into two easy pieces.

Use 4 Wing nuts and the top u handle comes on and off quickly and easy and reduces the height by half. 

2 hours ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Use 4 Wing nuts and the top u handle comes on and off quickly and easy and reduces the height by half. 

Yep. Started down that path this afternoon. Gonna move that swinging shelf/drawer up higher so I need to drill a few holes and pick up some bolts.  Maybe I'll show a picture when I finish it.

Archived