SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 12 guage

Blackface Charlie

I've used a Mec 600jr since the early 70s.  Works as well today as the day I purchased it.  Since I shoot BP, reloading is the only option.  As for reclaimed shot, I purchase from Redlands shooting park.  $65 for 50lbs shipped.  GREAT folks to deal with!

I've been using a Mec 600jr since the early 70s.  I shoot BP so reloading is the only option (bonus is that I enjoy loading).  As for reclaimed shot, I purchase from the GREAT folks at Redlands Shooting Park.  $65 for 50 lbs, shipped.

59 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

I think what the question means is the density the same for reclaimed & new shot?  Since, reclaimed shot are mixes of shot sizes & are deformed the densities will be different than new #7.5 or #8 shot.

Then, the correct word would be 'volume'. ;)

OLG

1 hour ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

RR,

Think about what you're asking here.:blink:

DC

I was just fooling with y'all.  You remember the joke back in the day, what weighs more, 50 pounds of bricks or 50 pounds of feathers?  In most worlds, 50 pounds is 50 pounds.  

Is 3/4 oz of reclaimed shot lighter than 3/4 oz of new shot?

No, weight is weight, regardless of the material.  Both weigh 3/4 ounce.

BUT - shotshell loaders throw a VOLUME of shot because they use bushings (not scales).  The mixed shot size and the greater variation of shot shape (deformed and flattened) that is in RECLAIMED shot means that the packing density of reclaimed shot is more than for new shot.   So, if your shot bushing throws 3/4 ounce of new #7.5 shot, it WILL THROW more than 3/4 ounce of reclaimed shot.   And it will even throw more than 3/4 ounce of #9 shot, because that smaller shot packs a little tighter than does #7.5 AROUND THE EDGE OF THE BUSHING.   In center of bushing, new round shot packs the same regardless of it's size.

So, for practical purposes, a valuable question to ask is:

"Does a 3/4 ounce bushing throw a heavier weight of reclaimed shot than it does new shot?"   Answer would be .....  YES.

Good luck, GJ

So the million dollar question is—-does the volume really matter or does it only  matter if you use reclaimed shot when you are talking CAS shooting??   Now—-one would have to keep the emotion out as there are the anal OCD types who’s rounds need to be perfect and I get that!   But really, for our application does it matter?  And—thanks everyone as I am learning from the replies

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

No, weight is weight, regardless of the material.  Both weigh 3/4 ounce.

BUT - shotshell loaders throw a VOLUME of shot because they use bushings (not scales).  The mixed shot size and the greater variation of shot shape (deformed and flattened) that is in RECLAIMED shot means that the packing density of reclaimed shot is more than for new shot.   So, if your shot bushing throws 3/4 ounce of new #7.5 shot, it WILL THROW more than 3/4 ounce of reclaimed shot.   And it will even throw more than 3/4 ounce of #9 shot, because that smaller shot packs a little tighter than does #7.5 AROUND THE EDGE OF THE BUSHING.   In center of bushing, new round shot packs the same regardless of it's size.

So, for practical purposes, a valuable question to ask is:

"Does a 3/4 ounce bushing throw a heavier weight of reclaimed shot than it does new shot?"   Answer would be .....  YES.

Good luck, GJ

Now this is a thoughtful response.  I meant my original question in jest, but this response is fantastic.  I agree that reclaimed shot in a bushing would likely give a higher weight / density than new shot.  

So, I learned something new today, even when trying to be funny!!!!!!!!!  Thank you, GJ.

Go ahead and flame me but I reload a box a week on a Lee Loadall. I couldnt justify the purchase of a Mec.

If it werent for shooting black powder Id still be buying AA's from wally ay 7-8$ a box. I dont even WANT to know what a box of 12g BP shells costs me all said and done.

I love reloading, I sit a the bench for fun and throw 44-40, 38-40 etc, it was only natural to load shells too even with the extra cost. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101097/hornady-366-auto-progressive-shotshell-press-12-gauge-2-3-4

Great press...... But will drop powder and or shot when a shell is not present if you aren't careful.

Hi Charlie,

You can't go wrong with a hassle-free MEC Sizemaster that makes a light 12 gauge 7/8 load.  Use STS or Gun Club hulls.

If you use RECLAIMED shot:  Buy a powerful magnet with a handle from Tractor Supply and a cheap tray or old baking sheet.

Pour small amounts of the reclaimed shot into the tray and run the big magnet over the shot to pull out all the steel trash and old steel shot.  

You would be surprised at all the crap that's found in the reclaimed shot that isn't lead!

If you plan on shooting reclaimed shot at steel targets around other people,  you gotta be safe!  Don't trust reclaimed shot to be all lead!

All the best,

Mo

Like many others on here have said it's not always about cost.  I reload shotshells because I want a light shot that doesn't kill my shoulder.  Is it cheaper - no, is it hard to do - no, can you get the load you want - yes.  I've got a MEC Sizemaster and even though it's a single stage it's fast enough for me.

Archived