SASS Wire Forum

1858 Conversion questions

Johnny Loco

Do y’all think this Traditions 12” Brass framed Bison model will accept and hold up with a conversion cylinder?

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/1858-bison-revolver-.44-cal

Do y’all know of one that will with a similar length barrel?

I think its made by Pietta

1 hour ago, Johnny Loco said:

...Do y’all know of one that will with a similar length barrel?...

A quick Google image search turned up a few pics of an A.S.M. (Armi San Marcos, which is defunct) steel frame buntline, likely be hard to find one of those.  And I found this old ad, but not sure who the manufacture was:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/976735202/Remington-1858-Buntline-44-Cal.htm

You could buy an Uberti '58 Revolving carbine (16" barrel) and bolt on a gripframe (if it fit?), but that might run afoul of BATFE regs.  If you could find one of those barrels as a spare part, you could bolt it to any Uberti '58.

As long as the gun started out as a handgun and remains a handgun, I believe there is no limit to barrel length.   If you couldn't find the Uberti barrel from the revolving carbine, maybe you could find a barrel from that Bison revolver and put it on a steel frame Pietta.  If not listed on VTIgunparts.com, I would call EMF and ask as they are owned by Pietta.

As long as it's a muzzle loader, I don't think it matters what you do to it. IIRC, they are exempt from, say, SBR regulations. For instance, Pietta's Lemat revolver reproduction has a 20g muzzleloader barrel, and doesn't have to be registered as a short barreled shotgun, nor do you have to register, say, an 1860 when you put a shoulder stock on it.

Now, conversion cylinders... I definitely remember reading a few years ago, on this very site, I believe, that a conversion cylinder that had to be removed to reload didn't affect the federal classification or restrictions of a muzzle loading revolver, but that if it were machined to used a gated conversion, it would.

(edit) Found it - of course, just because you read it here, doesn't mean it's OK with the feds, so...

The only safe conversion in a brass frame is to 22. But if you go to oldsouthfirearms.com you'll find what you're looking for they are pretty much the only US importer that has both stainless and normal steel frame 12" pietta bisons. They work great with 45 conversion cylinders (I've been shooting a steel frame one with a 45 colt howell cylinder for a few years now not in sass though just for fun plinking and woodchuck control). Hope this helps. 

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As a general rule of thumb brass frame revolvers will not hold up for shooting CAS. It will hold up longer than an open top but the frame will still stretch.

I dont understand this comment  On the Open Top at All ?

How will a Brass frame gun hold up longer then a Open Top ?

If Uberti built the open Top Correctly   ! 

( Like Pietta does )  

With proper Arbor fit .

The Open Top will holp up as good as a 1873 Colt .

And too properly answer the question Asked .

NO ! 

Do not put a Conversion Cylinder in a Brass Frame Gun .

Just Sayen 

Rooster  

39 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

How will a Brass frame gun hold up longer then a Open Top ?...

I think Dave was saying that a brass frame Remington will hold up longer than a brass framed Colt-style (opentop) gun.

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

How will a Brass frame gun hold up longer then a Open Top ?

If Uberti built the open Top Correctly   ! 

( Like Pietta does )  

With proper Arbor fit .

The Open Top will holp up as good as a 1873 Colt .

And too properly answer the question Asked .

NO ! 

Do not put a Conversion Cylinder in a Brass Frame Gun .

Just Sayen 

Rooster  

36 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think Dave was saying that a brass frame Remington will hold up longer than a brass framed Colt-style (opentop) gun.

Yes I was refering to a brass frame open top.

Archived