SASS Wire Forum

Primer explosion

Tennessee Snuffy

I have been using a Lee turret press to knock out rifle primers.  This press is mounted on a steel plate.  I also have knocked out some live primers with this press also.  As you know, this press has three small slits that the primers fall in.  

So here is my question.  I want to use a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the primers out thru the slits.  Should I be concerned about some type of explosion with the live primers coming up thru the vacuum cleaner 

thanks

WELLLLLLLL,  concern, yes.

I don't know what the % might be, but I've had ONE live primer ignite while vacuuming.

Of course, I don't make it a habit of vacuuming LIVE primers either.

The vacuum was a belt driven type and the primer got between the belt and the rotary device and popped.

It actually burnt the rubber belt, of which I smelled the rubber burning.   There wasn't a fire of any kind,

but the rubber belt got sizzled thru.

..........Widder

29 minutes ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

I have been using a Lee turret press to knock out rifle primers.  This press is mounted on a steel plate.  I also have knocked out some live primers with this press also.  As you know, this press has three small slits that the primers fall in.  

So here is my question.  I want to use a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the primers out thru the slits.  Should I be concerned about some type of explosion with the live primers coming up thru the vacuum cleaner 

thanks

Are you talking about the press with the red base? And are you talking about the recessed area by the mounting bolts? I have a Lee turret, but I have no idea what slits you are talking about. Maybe you have a newer model than mine.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

This must be one of those storm related questions. So what I do is spritz them down then into the vac they go.;)

Your turn

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Two questions......

How far away is the powder and how far away is the fire department?

A man of wisdom.  There's iron in his words.

..........Widder

Someone on here talked about putting one of your wives OLD nylons over the pickup tube on your shop vac to clean up around your shotshell loader.   GW

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

Someone on here talked about putting one of your wives OLD Nylons over the pickup tube on your shop vac to clean up around your shotshell loader.   GW

Well that explains the LOOK I got after cleaning up the man cave the other day:P

Figured newer was more better!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

12 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've used a straw before with some chewing gum stuck on the tip to help 'pick up' small stuff

when needed.

..........Widder

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say you sucked them out with a straw.

:wacko:

kR

18 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say you sucked them out with a straw.

:wacko:

kR

:lol::lol:

Can you imagine doing that and when the primer flies thru the straw, hits a tooth and........ POP!

Actually, because we all have cleaning rods that will fit into small holes,  the same process could

be done with a cleaning rod and a small piece of gum..

..........Widder

When I was still loading on a Lee single stage I had somewhat the same dilemma. I solved it by drilling a large whole in the table top directly under where the primers were knocked out. I then cut a corresponding whole in the lid of an empty plastic Miracle Whip jar and nailed it on the bottom side of the table. Then screw the jar on and most of the primers would fall straight through and into the jar. Unscrew the jar occasionally and dump the accumulated primers. No muss, no fuss!

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

When I was still loading on a Lee single stage I had somewhat the same dilemma. I solved it by drilling a large whole in the table top directly under where the primers were knocked out. I then cut a corresponding whole in the lid of an empty plastic Miracle Whip jar and nailed it on the bottom side of the table. Then screw the jar on and most of the primers would fall straight through and into the jar. Unscrew the jar occasionally and dump the accumulated primers. No muss, no fuss!

GOODY,

Every now and then, a 'classic' idea is put on the wire for many to benefit from.   

Although I don't use such a reloading press, I'm sure your idea will help others.

..........Widder

Once upon a time I vacuumed up a live large pistol magnum primer that ignited within the vacuum.  It killed the vacuum cleaner and got my undivided attention.  Scared my dog too.  Be careful!

1 hour ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Once upon a time I vacuumed up a live large pistol magnum primer that ignited within the vacuum.  It killed the vacuum cleaner and got my undivided attention.  Scared my dog too.  Be careful!

same thing happened to our vacuum, altho my wife doesn't know what blew it up!  It was a loose one that had escaped with filling tubes

18 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

same thing happened to our vacuum, altho my wife doesn't know what blew it up!  It was a loose one that had escaped with filling tubes

Shy Annie,

thats funny.

I was using the vacuum when I heard the 'POP' and then I started smelling the burnt rubber.

I knew then where the POP came from...... ;)

This was BEFORE my hearing deteriorated into oblivion.

..........Widder

You are completely safe to use a shop vac type of vacuum to suck up primers. The items that go up the hose never go through a beater bar or any type of mechanical apparatus that would cause the primer to detonate. I would suggest that you clean up then empty the shop vac do not leave primer powders or any reloading residue in the shop vac. I do it all the time and have never had a problem. 

As far as using the shop vac to clean up gun powder. I am referring to very minimal amounts that sometimes get spilled on the bench or floor. You do have static discharge at times with a shop vac. But that usually comes from vacuuming up in large quantities of material that are of a dry fibrous content.

Again just empty the shop vac as soon as you are done and you will be fine.

I have a "friend" who was loading on a 650 after just loading 100 Federal 100's into the primer feeder. The handle stuck, & "my friend" thought he would just power thru it & force the handle down. Anyone know what happened? Anyone? That's right, the whole primer column lit up. After installing changing underwear this person called Dillon, who sent a whole new primer assembly. He said not to try to use any parts from the one that got killed. And, he said to hang the dead assembly on the wall right in front of me, I mean "my friend", as a reminder to never, ever do that again.

2 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

I have a "friend" who was loading on a 650 after just loading 100 Federal 100's into the primer feeder. The handle stuck, & "my friend" thought he would just power thru it & force the handle down. Anyone know what happened? Anyone? That's right, the whole primer column lit up. After installing changing underwear this person called Dillon, who sent a whole new primer assembly. He said not to try to use any parts from the one that got killed. And, he said to hang the dead assembly on the wall right in front of me, I mean "my friend", as a reminder to never, ever do that again.

I think I saw that 'friend' out with Ophelia not to long ago.

3 hours ago, oak creek martin said:

You are completely safe to use a shop vac type of vacuum to suck up primers. The items that go up the hose never go through a beater bar or any type of mechanical apparatus that would cause the primer to detonate. I would suggest that you clean up then empty the shop vac do not leave primer powders or any reloading residue in the shop vac. I do it all the time and have never had a problem. 

As far as using the shop vac to clean up gun powder. I am referring to very minimal amounts that sometimes get spilled on the bench or floor. You do have static discharge at times with a shop vac. But that usually comes from vacuuming up in large quantities of material that are of a dry fibrous content.

Again just empty the shop vac as soon as you are done and you will be fine.

Sorry Oak, I have to disagree. Granted, the chances of something happening are slim.......so are the chances of winning the Powerball lottery......but eventually someone does win. Cleaning up powder increases the risk dramatically. 

Why take the risk of burning down your dwelling and possibly others?  Just don't see the reward versus risk. Each to their own I guess.:(

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sorry Oak, I have to disagree. Granted, the chances of something happening are slim.......so are the chances of winning the Powerball lottery......but eventually someone does win. Cleaning up powder increases the risk dramatically. 

Why take the risk of burning down your dwelling and possibly others?  Just don't see the reward versus risk. Each to their own I guess.:(

Some folks pipe natural gas into their house, they run the risk of an explosion.  Don't get me started on burning scented candles.

To really  experience primer popping  - ya have to spill some shot on your MEC 600, meticulously clean it up and then discover - on your first hull after the incident - you missed 2 pieces of shot hiding in the priming well. Major underwear incident ! :o

I once popped a 22 shell as I was depriming a 44-40 case,,,it had hidden in the 44 case and popped on the downstroke,,,

A few years ago I had about 40 primers ignite in my Dillon 650, after my ears stop ringing I could hear my better half upstairs asking if I was ok. What the picture is the primer tube from the machine. Not only that the "blast" destroyed the tube it "welded" primers to the rotary primer disk.

Dillen primer tube.jpg

I recently got a 10G. Using brass hulls. Was knocking out fired primers with a punch and hammer. Yup, had one that had not been fired get mixed in the batch. Boom!  (209 shotgun primer, not Large pistol like most brass hulls). My thumb on hand holding the punch got a pretty good blast. Drove a pepper size piece of something under the skin. Had to dig it out without the wife noticing. She was pretty upset over the primer pop. 

Moral of the story:  

double check every Hull before knocking “spent” primer out.

Always wear glasses (I was)

probably should have been wearing gloves, but they are a pain.

Don’t deprive live primers when your wife is home!

Archived