SASS Wire Forum

ported 357

Trigger Mike

I still have a hankering for a ported pistol for some reason.  Earlier the forum mentioned how a port in a semi auto 45 acp would not do much, but might do a little on a 44 special.  I have found a S & W 357 revolver that is ported.  One has the port in front of the front sight but part of the short barrel, and another has the port added to the 5 inch barrel.  I prefer the 3 inch barrel.  How much difference would a port make on a 357 revolver with a 3 inch barrel?  

I have two pistols that were done by the Mag Na Port folks in the early 80s. One is a S&W Model 66 with a 4 inch barrel (357). The other is a S&W Model 29 with a 6 inch barrel. I can't speak for the 3 inch barrel you have, but I noticed a difference on the 66 and a bigger difference on the 29. I reload so if I am using lead I just lighten the load.

Be nice to find another shooter with a similar weapon so you could go apples to apples. And use the loads you plan on using.

I haven't regretted having the porting done

It appears for revolvers the majority of the flash comes from the cylinder gap.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/foghorn/ttag-test-do-ported-handgun-barrels-blind-night-shooters/

Anyone who says a ported gun as  a defense gun is a bad idea, as it's blinding , hasn't shot one!!

The flash thru the ports doesn't flash until it is above the line of the front sights. And any

flash  thru the ports reduces the flash in the front of the muzzle, so that too is an aid not a hindrance.

I have over a dozen ported pistols my favorites are a 2" detective special and a j frame.

The mag-na-port rep told me they did a bunch of snubbies for plain clothes detectives.

I've had a few pistols (and a rifle) ported.   Loved the results on minimizing felt recoil.

I must admit that I never noticed any blinding flash, although I didn't shoot at night.

NOISE..... be sure to wear some protection and make sure the folks next to you wear protection.

I think you'll love the 'effects' of a short 'ported' barrel pistol, especially with some hot .357 loads.

..........Widder

Archived