SASS Wire Forum

Lowered Hammers

Chase Randall, SASS #45902

OK Pards, Starting to show signs of arthritis in my left thumb. Looking to install a pair of lowered hammers (CCH) in my USFA Premiums.

What hammers will work with the least amount of smithing, colt, uberti, other?

Chase

I have two sets of Smoke Wagons. First set I purchased new hammers for with the lower wider spurs. They worked fine, but they were costly. i believe $75 each.

My left hand has arthritis. Thumb first but has started to spread to several other fingers. These help so about a year later I decided to change out my other set of Smoke Wagons only to find out that Uberti had gone to a retractable firing pins and I would not only have to buy hammers AND new trigger assemblies. Looking at several hundred dollars.

I had our local gun smith modify the hammers on the guns by cutting them and welding them lower. As always Curly Bill did a great job. I can't tell the difference between them and the wider hammers when shooting.  I have also started using CBD oil on my hands. This seems to help.

Humm, I had one of the early sets of USFA's and they were virtually identical to my Colts. They use to beat the drum about being made on the old Colt machinery. 

USFA  advertsed they were made under the Colt dome but Colt retained  their equipment thru their bankruptcy

Original Patent FA’s and early USFA’s were made with all UBerti parts. The later guns were made with their own in house parts but still to Uberti specs. That is gospel! 

Archived