SASS Wire Forum

CAS guns you would like to own/ try

We have had a nice thread on what different shooters consider the best to have and noted gunsmiths for jobs. What CAS gun & smith would you like if the chance?

I have stated in another thread those I or Sassy favor and are very satisfied with, but I still have a few on "the list" that I would like to own or at least try  if the $$ and opportunity.

73s...a Harlan Wolf for sure , followed by a Jimmy Spur, Palo Verde, or Lefty Wheeler 73

shotgun...a Doc Noper SKB..if he does half the job on SKB as he does leather, then YES

The competition in smithing is heavy among those I list above and others mentioned on the "best to buy" thread. 

Revolvers, no real list here, I like my FAs and in last year or so I have tried Jimmy Spur SS NMV with Bisley hammers, Snake Oil George SS & low profiled SBH hammers, and Boomstick SS & SBH hammers.  All so smooth and nice, however I keep coming back to my FAs, they just feel better.  Due to arthritis in thumbs, I think lowering hammer spur would make even the FA more comfortable in my right hand. (Another project to consider.)

What's your "dream list"  like?

Something I would like to see and actually have "on the drawing board" with a machinist, is Ruger main/hammer spring set-up for flat spring guns like my FAs, and Colt & Colt clones.  The longevity of Rugers hammer spring system versus flat springs is so superior, and easier to work to point of satisfaction (replacing spring to desired weight).  As a shooter such as myself, weakening the flat spring to allow more comfortable cocking, yet 100% primer ignition, I/we open our-self to more chance of flat spring fatigue and breakage. 

Not sure who is doing the conversions but I have handled a few Rugers that have had the transfer bars removed and a half-cock notch installed/added.  Slick sweet and strong, maybe one day.  Octagonal barrels look nice too. 

Again not sure who is the best, but I'd like to eventually short stroke my current Uberti toggle link rifles.    While dreaming, does anybody convert 73s or 66s to take-down style rifles?  I've seen a few original 73s and 76s with this feature but I've never seen a repo.  Sure would make transport and cleaning from the breech easy.

A pair of 100% American USFAs.

A 10ga 87/1901 lever action set up to run with full-length brass shells!

A Merwin Hulbert in 44-40.  I just think the older open top versions are some of the nicest looking revolvers ever made.

I would like to shoot a pepperbox revolver in a side match.  I don't want to own one - just shoot one once.  I also need to try the gattling gun at EOT sometime.

I probably wouldn't use it in a match, but I've handled some SKB's (don't know if they were 100, 150 or 200)

and I wouldn't mind owning one.   Beautiful guns.

Preferred smith for the SKB, in no particular order:

Doc Noper, Fast Eddie or Johnny Meadows.

Would also love to have some Jimmy Spur Rugers.

I own some Rugers set up by Lassiter, Curly Bill Kelly, Boomstick Jay,  and Three Cut..... ALL of which are suburb.

I think some Jimmy Spur Rugers would compliment that group well.

And speaking of LEATHER:  it would have to be Curly Bill Kelly, Anita Margarita or Doc Noper.

I own all three and indeed, the craftsmanship and quality of work is fantastic.

..........Widder

I would like a pair of Open Tops. I dont know who slicks them up, probably one or more of the afore mentioned.  I am beginning the road to one handed shooting so I need some major modifications to my hands and brain. 

Imis

I don't know who would be the best to do it, but I'd really like to have a totally slicked up 1860 Henry and a matched pair of open tops, all in 45 colt...

I'd like to have a pair of the early Uberti Schofields that still had the gas ring, I like the new # 3's that Cimarron and Taylor's started importing  but again they don't have gas rings so I think their performance with black powder is questionable.

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I thought someone was doing the coil spring conversion, maybe Lassiter?

for Colts? possibly.  73s yes, but I am not sure about my desire on them..$$

55 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I would like a pair of Open Tops. I dont know who slicks them up, probably one or more of the afore mentioned.  I am beginning the road to one handed shooting so I need some major modifications to my hands and brain. 

Imis

I'm going to do my best to make to Wartrace in March, I've been a bad boy and visiting ORSA the last two months.

I'll let you try out my .44 Russian Open Tops; I'll even load you up some light smokeless loads. They've got Grashorn Elk grips and action work by Tyrel :)

I would like to have one of the high end double barreled shotguns but since I shoot classic I'd never get to use it. :(

I would like to try a slicked 73 (whoever the latest popular Smith may be), a fully worked set of Taylor Smoke Wagons and a SKB with more tricks then a circus pony.

I also wouldnt mind a set of fully worked 1851 Navies by Pietta in .44 cal.

What I've always wanted:

A stainless saddle ring carbine 92 in 45 Colt (wait, I bought myself one for Christmas!)

A pair of stainless gated 45 Colt 5.5" Uberti 1858 Remingtons (wait, that's what I already shoot!)

Stainless/nickel Baikal single trigger 12 (wait, oh nevermind mine is blued)

Seriously though, a pair of fully engraved stainless/nickel 75's in 45 Colt, short stroked with lowered hammers 5.5"octagon barrels

Stainless octagon barrel 45 Colt lightning rifle that is as reliable as my 92

Stainless/nickel Baikal bounty Hunter 2 set up by Johnny Meadows

I learned my lesson about trying out others guns. I need to stay clear away from it until I have more gun money saved up again.  That being said there's still some guns that i've yet to handle/shoot that i'd like to give a try before blindly buying. Schofields, bisley gripped colts, and i'd like to try out a 1860 henry too. No smith work needed on any of them I just wanna see how comfortable they are for me. I got a whole list of smith work i'd like to see someone start doing for 1858 Remingtons too. 

Right now we’re focused on equipping the family, so if my younger daughter buys in we’ll need a ‘73, an SKB and a set of Rugers in .32 H&R. 

If I were purchasing a dream list for me it would include a Harlan Wolf 73 in .45, a set of Jimmy Spurs Vaqueros in .45 and a nice 1887 set up with the drop 2 mod.

Those would open up Wild Bunch (already have an 1897), Classic Cowboy, and a separate set of guns for black powder.

I have or have had any CAS gun I’ve ever wanted. What I really want is not obtainable anymore and that would be to have my S&W Performance Center Schofield tuned by Bill English aka Happy Trails, when he gets done with the lockwork they work like Ruger (slip hammer capable) but sadly he no longer does the conversion. 

12 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I have or have had any CAS gun I’ve ever wanted. What I really want is not obtainable anymore and that would be to have my S&W Performance Center Schofield tuned by Bill English aka Happy Trails, when he gets done with the lockwork they work like Ruger (slip hammer capable) but sadly he no longer does the conversion. 

Now that would be nice.  I remember about 2001, when T-Bone first started his infamous adventure into CAS, he shot Schofields (clones of course).  He thought they were so cool at unloading table.  I would say in less than a year he got bit by "competitive bug" and realized there was more to tickle his fancy than being cool at unloading table in CAS.  But then T-Bone is most always cool.

I would like to see/shoot the following:

45ACP conversion for 1866/1873 Winchesters

30 Carbine SAA (USFA made one years ago)

Single Action Webley Mk6

Remington Keene

That 7 shot musket thing from John Wayne's Alamo

SXS shotguns that come without the auto safety and one trigger that fires both barrels simultaneously

Mares Leg for main match pistol

Ruger to remake the Vaquero in 38-40 with the 10mm/40S&W conversion cylinder

Joe Kidd Mauser 96 made legal for pistol and rifle (just attach the stock)

Full length spencer infantry rifle in 45LC

Jimmy Spurs full-house vaqueros

.45-110 Sharps w/34 in. barrel... yes, that one.

Merwin Hulberts, .44-40  nickel full-frame w/skull crusher. 2 of em

1886 Winchester .45-70, full-length magazine

An American made SXS suitable for our game in the $600-800 range. Ruger. Maybe? 

Archived