SASS Wire Forum

For Sale Browning Model ‘86 Carbine

Dutch Coroner

I have one of these rifles. It is hands down a fantastic shooter. Rings the gong with factory sights every time at three hundred. Extremely well made rifle. Would be a nice addition to anyone’s hunting collection.

I have one and love mine.  The 24" barrel gets heavy.  I hunt with mine but do not shoot ever shoot Hornady "Leverevolution" ammunition in it as your head will spin around.  The carbine handled it just fine.  Irish Pat  sass 19486

2 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have one and love mine.  The 24" barrel gets heavy.  I hunt with mine but do not shoot ever shoot Hornady "Leverevolution" ammunition in it as your head will spin around.  The carbine handled it just fine.  Irish Pat  sass 19486

Please explain your comment on your head spinning around with shooting lever-evolution ammo.  I have never had the opportunity to use that ammo so I'm curious. Super stout recoil or muzzle blast?

Aha- now I understand. About 20 years ago I watched some friends shoot a Remington-Keene with that hot .45-70 ammo. The owner of the rifle should have known better as he is a gunsmith. I turned down an invitation to shoot it. After about 8 rounds the lenses in the Malcom repro scope came loose. It is too hot for old guns for sure.

The browning designed 1886 will handle whatever you put in it but that Hornady ammo kicks like hell  shoot pleasant loads and have more fun.  If I was in the woods in grizzly country then I would put the Hornady ammo in it .  Irish Pat

Archived