SASS Wire Forum

Hopkins & Allen 32 S&W

Trooper Ozzy

What's next pards?  Any hints or tips?  Should I use goex or shoot smokeless Magtech shorts?

Box of 50 Magtech is $25 or buy starline brass $57.50 for 250 and Missouri bullets Cowboy 18 $30.00 for 500 and buy a Lee 3 piece die set $38. 

Do you guys like to shoot it enough to reload for it?  

wm_12469227.jpg

Nice pistol. Is it chambered in .32 S&W or .32 S&W long?

I have a 2nd generation S&W top break chambered in .32 S&W  that I use as a pocket pistol.  I bought Starline brass and load them on a Lee hand press.  I use the Lee dipper and the Unique load that came with the dies.

Be very careful shooting smokeless powder in these old pistols. I only shoot BP or subs in mine. Usually APP. 

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I load 2.0gn of Unique, under a 86gn lead bullet.

OLG

2 gr of Unique is WAY too much powder for .32 S&W (short)

It would be acceptable for .32 S&W long. (New Police)

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

2 gr of Unique is WAY too much powder for .32 S&W (short)

It would be acceptable for .32 S&W long. (New Police)

Then you need to read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook third edition, page 254. ;)

84gn bullet with Unique runs from 1.5gn to 2.4gn for .32 S&W.

.32 long starts at 2.5gns of Unique to 4.0gn w/77gn bullet.

OLG

if you're finding 32s&w magtechs for $25 a box, grab me a box! 38s&w too! I just got a box of 50 Remington 38s&w yesterday for 32.99 at sheps!

I have lee 32 dies if you need/ want to borrow them, I cant use them right now anyway, since I got my hornady lnl ap, I gave my lee challenger away along with my lee 45colt dies to a new shooter... oops... I forgot I still needed it for 32acp 32s&w, 38S&W and 32s&w long...lol...

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then you need to read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook third edition, page 254. ;)

84gn bullet with Unique runs from 1.5gn to 2.4gn for .32 S&W.

.32 long starts at 2.5gns of Unique to 4.0gn w/77gn bullet.

OLG

I did read it. ALL OF IT. Apparently this time you did not.  The below quote is verbatim from the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook 3rd edition. The Lyman 44th edition has the same wording. Don't have my 47th or 4th ed cast books handy handy. Pet Loads by Keith Waters has a similar caution. I did a lot of research when I bought mine and the same advice came up again and again. 

The second sentence from the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook 3rd edition reads:

"For top break revolvers (if the gun is in good condition) use the suggested starting load. Do not go higher as these pistols are of a relatively weak design."

3 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

what are you looking for in a derringer? I have a few...lol...

Good job at set'n that 'hook'. :lol:

OLG

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In a top break revolver that old 2.0 grains of Unique is too much powder. The below quote is verbatim from the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook 3rd edition. The Lyman 44th edition has the same wording. DOn'y have my 47t edition handy. Pet Loads by Keith Waters has a similar caution. I did a lot of research when I bought mine and the same advice came up again and again. 

The second sentence from the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook 3rd edition reads:

That caution is also in my 3rd edition-

I tried the 1,5gn load-PM(Dillon) didn't want to through it consistently. I'm run'n 1.9-2.0gn Unique.

Have had no issues with the 2.0 load in my lemon-squeezer S&W that I have been shooting for the last 10yrs.

FWIW: Tried a BP load with Goex 3F in this .32. Had more 'blast' and recoil than my 2.0gn of Unique does.:blink:

OLG

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good job at set'n that 'hook'. :lol:

OLG

That caution is also in my 3rd edition-

I tried the 1,5gn load-PM(Dillon) didn't want to through it consistently. I'm run'n 1.9-2.0gn Unique.

Have had no issues with the 2.0 load in my lemon-squeezer S&W that I have been shooting for the last 10yrs.

FWIW: Tried a BP load with Goex 3F in this .32. Had more 'blast' and recoil than my 2.0gn of Unique does.:blink:

OLG

Wonder if that would work in a little merwin pocket pistol.

18 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Wonder if that would work in a little merwin pocket pistol.

Look up the date of manufacturer. Metallurgy was not so great in the early 20th century and worse prior to 1900. With 100+ year old firearms I prefer to err on the side of caution. If it was made before 1900 I would stick to BP. In any case I would not shoot factory loaded ammo in any old pocket pistol.

BP and smokeless pressure curves are very different.  It is not just about absolute maximum pressure but pressure  over time. BP tends to have a much narrower pressure spike than smokeless powder.

image.png.b2dfebdc5386f6db4e77747410f2855e.png

Low Explosive = Smokeless powder

High Explosive = BP

image.png.fba7abbd613354642ed280eec0bf26bf.png

I use 1.1 gr Bullseye & the 78 gr Missouri bullet in a mid 30’s lemon squeezer. The smallest lee dipper is too big for this small of a load so I just weigh the charge out. I use lee dies as those were the only ones I could find for the 32 S&W that we’re available. It’s a very mild load but fun to shoot!

Archived