SASS Wire Forum

What do you put chili on?

Alpo

I make my own chili Navajo Green is the best recipe I've tried so far. I put it on Half smokes with sour kraut and jalapenos. Really good.

kR

PS the only substitution I make in the NG recipe is I don't use "mild green chilis" I use Jalapenos.

9 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Born, raised and still living on "the westside" of Cincinnati.  It is not promoted as homestyle, or tex-mex.  Cincinnati Style Chili was developed from Greek immigrant, so it is not what most of the world think of when you here the word chili.

ways.thumb.jpeg.9753507e5159d1709719589b232ed051.jpeg

Outside of the state of Texas, Cincinnati, Ohio is the most chili-crazed city in the United States.  Cincinnati prides itself on being a true chili capital, with more than 180 chili parlors.  This is truly the unofficial grub of Cincinnati, and most of the "out-of-towners" just don't get it.  It's not crap, nore do we force anyone to try it!

I've had it and it's not crap but it's close!!!:lol: Just kidding, I didn't care for it!

Most common ways are just plain chili, or leftover chili on hot dogs.

But the thread got me searching the web for other ideas and here are just a few that I may have to try out myself.

Chili Eggs Benedict

449218701_Chilieggsbenedict.JPG.cf50479a12f8b22a7f8dc3f3dfd776a5.JPG

Warm leftover chili and spoon over toasted English muffins before topping with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.

Sweet potato hash alongside it would work nicely.

And this expanded take on a Utah Bob suggestion: "Baked tater topped with chili and cheese."

Twice-Baked Potatoes

1807180438_TwiceBakedPotatoes.JPG.9291d115ceb3ab541525d71afdb647e9.JPG

Bake potatoes, halve them, scoop out their filling, mash and swirl chili in.

Spoon back into the skins, top with shredded Jack cheese, and bake till warm and golden.

11 hours ago, DocWard said:

When I'm making my own chili though, I start with lean beef, cubed to about the size of the tip of my pinky finger, and sear it. I'm usually too lazy, busy, or both to do up the seasonings by myself, so I opt for a packet of Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix,

Like it a lot, but havn't been able to find in local markets for several years.

11 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Born, raised and still living on "the westside" of Cincinnati.  It is not promoted as homestyle, or tex-mex.  Cincinnati Style Chili was developed from Greek immigrant, so it is not what most of the world think of when you here the word chili.

ways.thumb.jpeg.9753507e5159d1709719589b232ed051.jpeg

Outside of the state of Texas, Cincinnati, Ohio is the most chili-crazed city in the United States.  Cincinnati prides itself on being a true chili capital, with more than 180 chili parlors.  This is truly the unofficial grub of Cincinnati, and most of the "out-of-towners" just don't get it.  It's not crap, nore do we force anyone to try it!

I don’t care what you call it but it ain’t chili

50 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

We have it at our local Kroger, or we did the last time I made chili a couple of months back. PM me your address and I'll send you a few packs.

38 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I don’t care what you call it but it ain’t chili

A lot of people in Cincinnati will try to explain it starting with "it's not really what you think of as chili..."

Howdy,

There is a recipe  for Coney Island Hot Dog Chili.  

Ive made it and it is really good on hot dogs.

It is different, tho, not real good by itself.

Now ya got me thinkin chili would go good with the ice storm outside....

watch for falling ICE.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I’m gona check in town today. I’ll let ya know.

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

A lot of people in Cincinnati will try to explain it starting with "it's not really what you think of as chili..."

And they are absolutely RIGHT!!!

I found some today....looked in the wrong place in the market.

Well, looks like I'm set on chili fixin's for awhile then!

I found some today....looked in the wrong place in the market.

Yup. With the gravies instead of the chili. Management decision no doubt. ;)

IMG_20190212_150852.jpg

On 2/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Baked tater topped with chili and cheeze. Yum.

I might have to rethink this.

14 hours ago, Noz said:

A former acquaintance of the female extraction who got her start in Ill, made her chili by starting with a big chuck roast in a large roaster pan.  She put the roast in the pan and started it roasting. Other stuff was added to it but the meat never left the pan until she passed out the spoons.

Another was from New Mexico and she started by using nearly the same volume of chili peppers as meat (kinda like a black powder square load with much the same effect).  When the peppers became unrecognizable she then added the meat. Done.

Wow! Pleasant memories from the past.

The girls or the chili?  snort, snort.

14 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I make my own chili Navajo Green is the best recipe I've tried so far. I put it on Half smokes with sour kraut and jalapenos. Really good.

kR

PS the only substitution I make in the NG recipe is I don't use "mild green chilis" I use Jalapenos.

Jalapenos are mild chilis        GW

Thanks KR   Had not see NG before,  chased down a recipe that looks great.  Will be trying it soon.   Hopefully get to tell you what I think of it FTF.      GW

21 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Thanks KR   Had not see NG before,  chased down a recipe that looks great.  Will be trying it soon.   Hopefully get to tell you what I think of it FTF.      GW

I usually make it with venison. However the pork shoulder does kick it up a notch or two. For a gallon of chili I will use a quart of Jalapenos.

kR

Always thought it was strange they want you to add beef broth to beef.   But I learned to do it .   Really makes a difference.     GW 

2 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I usually make it with venison. However the pork shoulder does kick it up a notch or two. For a gallon of chili I will use a quart of Jalapenos.

kR

Recipe I found calls for pork. Got some thawing for tomorrow after a trip to the store.  Don't usually have anything as mild as jalapenos in pantry.   Got habs, scorpions and reapers though.     Keep warm pard.    Hope to see you when it warms up.   GW

When making my chili, if I have any leftover meats in the frig, I'll dice or shred the meat and into the chili it goes also.  I've had some diverse and interesting chili.  All good though. 

Tomorrow, I'm making chili using wild goose from last November's Oklahoma goose hunt.  May throw in some leftover fried chicken--shredded.

9uMCVP.jpg

9 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Recipe I found calls for pork. Got some thawing for tomorrow after a trip to the store.  Don't usually have anything as mild as jalapenos in pantry.   Got habs, scorpions and reapers though.     Keep warm pard.    Hope to see you when it warms up.   GW

Seems like the venison takes some of the heat out of the chili's, the pork does not. I used pork loin as it was less expensive at the time than pork shoulder,

kR

Yah, having tough time finding cheap pork. Found some pork shoulder for .98 a lb.  But too lean and small for smoker.    They wanted $2.55 for boston butt?   Are you using the pickled jalapenos in your chili?      GW 

If you use pickled peppers in your chili, you will have that vinegar taste to deal with.  I don't care for it but some folks apparently like it.  I use fresh or dried peppers, mostly grown by my mom.  She keeps a garden and grows several strains of pepper every couple of years.  Dries some. Freezes some. She will pickle some for the neighbors too, but I'll catch some of them fresh now and then.

My thoughts on pickled peppers too.   Lady I know cans her own in a salt brine mixture, but she doesn't seem to want to share her recipe or enough peppers !!     Navajo Green sure sounds good, will find out soon   GW

I make my chili, smoked ground venison with 'Tennessee Pride' hot sausage, lots of paprika and chili pepper, home made ground cayenne pepper, and bucket of home grown jalapenos...on a bed of nacho chips and melted pepper jack/sharp cheddar, sliced home grown jalapenos and salsa on top. About 45 seconds in microwave with medium sized plate to get it all same temp.

RRR

Rice with onions and cheese on top.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I make my own chili.  Here's a hint for those that use water.  Substitute water with either Chicken Broth or Beef Broth.   The Broth sure ramps up the flavor.

I don't use water in mine, but I do use beer.  I guess I can't serve mine at the baptist picnic. 

Archived