SASS Wire Forum

What do you put chili on?

Alpo

I put it on hot dogs (I thought everyone did, and was quite shocked when my daughter told me the grandgirls had never had chili dogs).

I put it on burritos. Also taco salad.

Have never tried it, but I've heard that in Ohio they put it on spaghetti.

I was just thinking about boiling up some taters and using chili in lieu of gravy. That's what prompted the ponder.

How about the rest of you? Just in a bowl with a spoon? Or do you experiment?

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I put it on hot dogs (I thought everyone did, and was quite shocked when my daughter told me the grandgirls had never had chili dogs).

I put it on burritos. Also taco salad.

Have never tried it, but I've heard that in Ohio they put it on spaghetti.

I was just thinking about boiling up some taters and using chili in lieu of gravy. That's what prompted the ponder.

How about the rest of you? Just in a bowl with a spoon? Or do you experiment?

I've lived in Ohio all my life and never heard of putting it on spaghetti!! Personally I like chili all by itself with a few crackers! Yum!!

banana pudding?

I put it on (in order of likelihood)

Hot dogs

tater tots

Fritos
french fries

hamburgers
tortillas

celery (a new thing I tried to get away from the carbs of the fritos, and it was good). 

When I go offshore, they usually have 1 day a week where they serve spaghetti.  The sauce at nearly every platform, and I've been to at least a dozen, is more like a medium chili sauce (no beans) than spaghetti sauce.  I've grown accustomed to it, but I'd never do that on purpose.  I had no idea it was 'a thing'. 

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've lived in Ohio all my life and never heard of putting it on spaghetti!! Personally I like chili all by itself with a few crackers! Yum!!

Five Star - 5 way Chili - on spaghetti - Not bad, just different. :-)  Chili is good on almost everything except Wheaties and ice cream.  Perhaps on sardines it might be a little too different - I will try it later on this week.

STL Suomi

On rice, with an egg over easy on top. Makes for an easy lunch.

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think they are referring to "Cincinnati chili", a nasty, soupy mess that's served over spaghetti!!  NOT chili at all!!

I put chili in a bowl with onion and cheese.  I put it on hot dogs, (just had a 1/4 pound dog with chili, cheese, onion and tomato on a BIG tortilla) on a cheeseburger, on my nacho plate, in a bowl for dipping with chips, as a side with burritos or tacos, and over fajita sliced meats for a really meaty treat!!  I also like a little chili on a western omelette or on fried potatoes with cheese sauce!!

I make my own chili without beans, (or corn or other vegetables besides chilies and occasionally some tomato) but I will seldom turn down chili that has beans, (reds, blacks, kidneys, or pintos) in it.   I like my chili HOT!!  Both spicy and temperature wise!!  I qualify that with the proviso that the heat have flavor and not just capsicum or some ridiculous additive that just raises the Scoville rating!!

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I think they are referring to "Cincinnati chili", a nasty, soupy mess that's served over spaghetti!!  NOT chili at all!!

I put chili in a bowl with onion and cheese.  I put it on hot dogs, (just had a 1/4 pound dog with chili, cheese, onion and tomato on a BIG tortilla) on a cheeseburger, on my nacho plate, in a bowl for dipping with chips, as a side with burritos or tacos, and over fajita sliced meats for a really meaty treat!!  I also like a little chili on a western omelette or on fried potatoes with cheese sauce!!

I make my own chili without beans, (or corn or other vegetables besides chilies and occasionally some tomato) but I will seldom turn down chili that has beans, (reds, blacks, kidneys, or pintos) in it.   I like my chili HOT!!  Both spicy and temperature wise!!  I qualify that with the proviso that the heat have flavor and not just capsicum or some ridiculous additive that just raises the Scoville rating!!

That bean soup that they call Skyline chili is just nasty 

When I make chili it has at least 4 kinds of beans and more meat than the cow used to haul around. Throw in green peppers, chopped onions, maybe little bit of extra chunky tomatoes and plenty of seasoning and it's just starting to get ready to be served.

Sprinkle cheddar cheese or stir in some sour cream and eat it with frito chips. Chase it with your favorite soda and life is good.  Slop all that over a foot long hot dog and life is even better.

I hope my doctor is not reading this.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Corn bread.

Try putting corn bread mix in waffle iron.   Then serve covered with chili.     And not any of that bland stuff.   I want chili with hell and brimstone  !!!!        GW

Roll a couple of hot dogs in a tortilla with chili and cheese.  Couple of squirts of hot sauce, too      GW

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

That there folks is the god honest truth.

Love chili, extra beans. Put it on hot dogs, cornbread, most noodles, chips (as a dip) and hamburgers. Stand alone.....crushed crackers.

Local restaurant has a featured dish they call "The Volcano:" Piece of Texas toast, smothered in ground round, piled high with French fries or hash browns, topped with cheddar cheese sauce, then covered with spicy chilli (with beans) and onions...a favorite of my younger brother, a bit much volume for me!

CS

I had an old girl friend who always said good chili makes you cry. She was of course right.

As a child we often had it served over rice to make it stretch we were pretty poor, every once in awhile I fall back on that memory 

36 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Southern hot dog: mustard, chili, onions & slaw.  Chili goes on about everything but I'm not seeing it on taters.

Baked tater topped with chili and cheeze. Yum.

'bout anything listed above will work with chilei except celery(a hateful plant) and banana pudding??

4 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

That's from down south in Cincinnatti, us folks up here in Northeast Ohio don't eat that crap!!:P

Not a fan of "Cincinnati style" chili myself, and I was born and raised in Ohio.

To go on hotdogs, a decent chili made from ground beef with no beans does just fine. I'll typically be adding mustard, relish, onion and shredded cheese anyway.

When I'm making my own chili though, I start with lean beef, cubed to about the size of the tip of my pinky finger, and sear it. I'm usually too lazy, busy, or both to do up the seasonings by myself, so I opt for a packet of Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix, and go from there. Instead of adding water, I add a bottle of decent lager beer or two, depending on how much I'm making. I serve it with sour cream, shredded cheddar and chopped green onions to garnish, along with flour tortillas on the side. I and others have been known to make chili burritos out of it, though, instead of using a bowl.

Mmmmm, chili.   Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, venison, sausage of all kinds, bacon (mmmm, bacon), beans, no beans, pasta, rice, corn bread, in tortillas or out, alone, on chips, on tube steaks, in or on a bun, in a bowl, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers of all kinds, cilantro, carrots, celery, white sauce not so much(bleah), navy beans, kidney beans, black beans, butter beans, lima beans.  What were we talking about?

Born, raised and still living on "the westside" of Cincinnati.  It is not promoted as homestyle, or tex-mex.  Cincinnati Style Chili was developed from Greek immigrant, so it is not what most of the world think of when you here the word chili.

ways.thumb.jpeg.9753507e5159d1709719589b232ed051.jpeg

Outside of the state of Texas, Cincinnati, Ohio is the most chili-crazed city in the United States.  Cincinnati prides itself on being a true chili capital, with more than 180 chili parlors.  This is truly the unofficial grub of Cincinnati, and most of the "out-of-towners" just don't get it.  It's not crap, nore do we force anyone to try it!

40 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Born, raised and still living on "the westside" of Cincinnati.  It is not promoted as homestyle, or tex-mex.  Cincinnati Style Chili was developed from Greek immigrant, so it is not what most of the world think of when you here the word chili.

Outside of the state of Texas, Cincinnati, Ohio is the most chili-crazed city in the United States.  Cincinnati prides itself on being a true chili capital, with more than 180 chili parlors.  This is truly the unofficial grub of Cincinnati, and most of the "out-of-towners" just don't get it.  It's not crap, nore do we force anyone to try it!

I learned something new. I know this area, Southwest Ohio, not just Cincinnati, has a large Greek population, but I didn't know that the Cincinnati Style Chili was something they brought, or had a hand in it. I've had it, and it's OK, but like I said, I'm not really a fan. If someone else wants to grab some, then sure but never my first choice. I liked Texas Chili before ever living in Texas, living there just added to my love of it.

15 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

With macaronni & cheese

Largo

I haven't eaten chili mac since Basic Training before going into the CS Gas Chamber. That was 1988.

A former acquaintance of the female extraction who got her start in Ill, made her chili by starting with a big chuck roast in a large roaster pan.  She put the roast in the pan and started it roasting. Other stuff was added to it but the meat never left the pan until she passed out the spoons.

Another was from New Mexico and she started by using nearly the same volume of chili peppers as meat (kinda like a black powder square load with much the same effect).  When the peppers became unrecognizable she then added the meat. Done.

Wow! Pleasant memories from the past.

I like chili on rice, on baked potatoes, hotdogs, corn chips, or an open faced cheeseburger.  

I like both chili with and without beans.  I don't like mild, or weak, or sweet, or watery chili.  

I don't like chili so chemically hot that it causes physical pain to eat.  But chili should cause your nose to run just a little, or it is too mild.  

Chili made with deer meat is best...hands down.  

I have seen a lot of the stuff that some call chili!  A lot of it needs to be put on something good, a large amount of the "something good" and a SMALL amount of the thick dishwater that they are calling chili.   Real chili does not need to put on anything.  (But a lot of things are better with good chili on it!)

Blackfoot

Archived