SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun bead sight

cctmthompson

I cut down a 26 in sxs to a 20 in.  I closed off the open parts on the ends, filed, and blued it.  Its only going to be used for cowboy action, should i worry about putting a bead sight back on it?  If yes, any recommendations....  Thanks

Carl Thompson

Midnight Thompson 

SASS # 108237 

20190206_220318.jpg

Whether or not you feel you need a bead is your individual preference.  If you decide you need a bead I would highly recommend a bead from SlixSprings.  They range from "nice" to "Doorknob."  I personally use the "DoorKnob."  A very very good visual aid. 

Correct my ignorance but don't need a bead a mount the Slix bead to.  The ones I have seen glue onto your present bead.    GW

There are bead installation kits{ drill, tap, bead} available for cheap from the usual online sellers.... Brownells, Midway, Slix, etc .

You may be able to gently remove the original bead from the surgically removed barrel piece, drill the correct size hole and press fit / epoxy the bead back on and add one of the oversize press on over beads that are available as well!

Just my .02 worth B)

I have an old NID that I cut down (the only gun I've ever cut).  The top rib is a "trough" and makes a good sight line. I didn't bother putting a bead on it. 

I did replace the bead on this old Winchester 87 that was missing.  The hole was there and I lucked out and the threads on the bead I had matched.   About 6:20 in this video shows how I installed the bead. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

G W,

No.  Slix Beads are "drill and tap" propositions.

Thanks.  But am I going crazy,   does somebody make a glue-on?   Thought I had seen them someplace.   GW

Slick McClade (Slick Magic) does a glue on front site "Blade" that's glue on and rod sort of "thingie" that glues o a rifle sight.  Don't think he does a Shotgun sight though.  Don't quote me. 

here is the link to Slicks shotgun front sight that goes over the existing small bead.

Sight - Shotgun Bead Sight

If your current shotgun bead is too small why change out the entire bead? We make beads that fit over the existing bead on your shotgun. They are offered in two sizes 7/32 and 1/4" and are made from solid brass. To get the correct size "mic" your existing bead size, then order the one that matches your current bead size. We offer them in three under bead sizes .125 , .155 and .177. When you receive your new sight just simply place it over your current bead, making sure your barrel is on a flat surface and tap the new sight on with a light mallet. Select corresponding sizes below.

12 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

here is the link to Slicks shotgun front sight that goes over the existing small bead.

Sight - Shotgun Bead Sight

If your current shotgun bead is too small why change out the entire bead? We make beads that fit over the existing bead on your shotgun. They are offered in two sizes 7/32 and 1/4" and are made from solid brass. To get the correct size "mic" your existing bead size, then order the one that matches your current bead size. We offer them in three under bead sizes .125 , .155 and .177. When you receive your new sight just simply place it over your current bead, making sure your barrel is on a flat surface and tap the new sight on with a light mallet. Select corresponding sizes below.

I would add a dab of locktite when doing the install.

OLG

11 hours ago, cctmthompson said:

I cut down a 26 in sxs to a 20 in.  I closed off the open parts on the ends, filed, and blued it.  Its only going to be used for cowboy action, should i worry about putting a bead sight back on it?  If yes, any recommendations....  Thanks

Carl Thompson

Midnight Thompson 

SASS # 108237 

20190206_220318.jpg

what kind of shotgun was that? im hoping someone will inspire me to cut down my new single gold plated trigger engraved Baikal izh43 I bought myself for Christmas... it was brand new still in the box and I am having a hard time chopping off the threaded barrels. don't want to "ruin" its value with a non reversible mod...

wish I could find a spare set of barrels for it to cut instead...

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

not ten minutes after I posted this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baikal-Bounty-Hunter-2-12-Shotgun-Barrel/143096628529?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

its on the way!!!! for $115 id been a fool to not buy it!

On 2/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

You won't - a double barrel shotgun barrel set is individually fit to work on the receiver.   You could have a properly selected "big" set (where there is enough metal still left to match to your receiver) fit by a gunsmith, for about twice price of that Baikal shotgun.

So, swallow your indecision and make that gun work for you by shortening your current barrels.  Or, learn to shoot the longer barrels with choke tubes in them.  Or sell it now before you turn your hair gray fretting over it.

(Oh, good to see that you found another possible solution!  Have fun!)

No use hoping for solution that will cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck, GJ

23 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You won't - a double barrel shotgun barrel set is individually fit to work on the receiver.   You could have a properly selected "big" set (where there is enough metal still left to match to your receiver) fit by a gunsmith, for about twice price of that Baikal shotgun.

So, swallow your indecision and make that gun work for you by shortening your current barrels.  Or, learn to shoot the longer barrels with choke tubes in them.  Or sell it now before you turn your hair gray fretting over it.

(Oh, good to see that you found another possible solution!  Have fun!)

No use hoping for solution that will cost an arm and a leg.

Good luck, GJ

Too late, see the post above yours. 

It wouldn't be the first time I've fitted barrels, modded a gun, or made something work that isn't supposed to... 

When ever someone tells me "that won't work" I reply "watch this"...

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Too late, see the post above yours. 

It wouldn't be the first time I've fitted barrels, modded a gun, or made something work that isn't supposed to... 

When ever someone tells me "that won't work" I reply " Hold my Beer and "watch this"...

I fixed it for you:P

That's funny MC!

Here are some of my "you can't do that" guns. Yes they all shoot.

My asm Walker with a cut down and fitted barrel and Uberti conversion cylinder I fitted to it.

My rock island 1911 with a 6 inch no name barrel I not only fitted, but ported myself with needle files and my Dremel. The compensator slots line up perfectly with the ports on the barrel so it's a 6" ported longslide that in less than 3 minutes is wild bunch ready.

My Cobra Derringer that started as a 25acp. I bought and fitted a 22lr, 22mag and 32acp barrels to it.

Bottom right is my 32h&r premier with a barrel I cut down and fitted to it. The grips are rosewood and were originally for a 58 Remington. I couldn't get a second set for my main match 58's so I made these fit this gun.

Above that is my bobbed hammer h&r 38s&w with a 32 s&w long barrel and cylinder I fitted to it. The grips are for a S&W round butt j frame I modified to fit.

And to right is one of my many 58 Remingtons. This one I cut down the barrel and loading lever, welded the lever to the cylinder pin which is now held in place by a ball detent that locks it into the bottom of the barrel. I cut the grip frame into a "birdshead" shape and cut in a pinky groove. I cut a notch in the top of the barrel and ground down an old solid copper penny to make the front sight. 

I'm pretty sure I can handle fitting a second set of shotgun barrels to my Baikal.

The trick is to mod the barrels to fit the gun, not the gun to fit the barrels.

IMG_20190213_202254.jpg

Hi B Bruce,

I was going to suggest you go ahead and lop those barrels off and then simply have them "re-threaded" for the chokes.  However, since you will have swap-able barrel sets ........ Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Archived