SASS Wire Forum

Load data for Trail Boss

Purly SASS # 57438

I have searched for load data for Trail Boss powder and can't find the information for 38 spl 105 gn bullet. Any one know where i can find this load information ? Specifically looking for volicity for 3.1 gn of powder . Pistol loads.

Looking at the posted data for 90 and 125 gr loads, they both start at 3.0 gr and top out at 5.0 gr and 5.3 gr respectively.

If you have no luck getting an answer, I'd start at 3.0 and work up a little at a time and never go over 5.3. Your pressure will be lower than the 125 gr load, due to more space in the case and I bet it will get out there pretty quick loaded up that high. TB is a pretty low pressure powder.

Best of luck.

I can't help with the velocity numbers but in NMV's I was getting inconsistent loads with 3.0 grains, especially in the cooler temps, with Win or Fed SP primers.  No issues with 3.9 grains.

The basic for Trail Boss is:

Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load.

Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!

Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.

Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

2 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Is this written somewhere or just someone's good idea?

Its explained on the Hodgdon website. It's Handy to add to the reloading tool box ;)

A load "recipe" is not a one-size-fits-all.  It is a beginning point and then you work it from there.  There are variables, such as the weight of your gun and barrel length.

For instance, a 5-1/2" barreled Colt weighs less and has more muzzle flip than a 5-1/2" large frame Vaquero.

The muzzle flip of recoil will send a bullet higher... the lighter the gun, the more recoil, the higher point of impact is in relation to point of aim. 

Which is why a 158gr will shoot higher than a 105gr.

Anyway, I dug out a couple of old paper targets I saved.

With a 4.62" barreled Blackhawk 3.5gr of Trail Boss was the most accurate and tightest grouping load with a 105gr lead cast bullet

I didn't chrony the loads, I was interested in accuracy at 7yds... CAS pistol target distance.

Out of a '94 Marlin Carbine with micro-groove rifling, a 4.5gr Trailboss load had the tightest grouping at 25yds with a 105gr lead cast bullet

So, if I were to use those guns in a CAS match, I'd use a different load for Rifle and Pistols.

So, what I do to determine loads, is I find a starting point, Load some.  Then make some incremental, loads up from there, within data limits and go to a nice comfortable indoor range and see on paper where the point of impact is compared to where I am aiming.  Go for as tight a group as possible... "aim small, miss small".  Then you know if you miss, it's not the load or the gun.

Using TB at 2.7g and 105 TCFP in a 3 1/2 New Vequero I get 640fps for power load of 67.2.

Using same 2.7g load in Marlin and 125g TCFP I get 768fps for Power load of 96.

No problem shooting in 90 degree or 33 degree weather.

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I can't help with the velocity numbers but in NMV's I was getting inconsistent loads with 3.0 grains, especially in the cooler temps, with Win or Fed SP primers.  No issues with 3.9 grains.

Same for me. Upped to 3.5 and they got mucho gooder.

I won't go below 3.3 grains of Trail Boss with a 105 grain bullet.  I go with 3.4 or 3.5 grains.

Tried lower and it didn't work well.  Some did not make minimum and they were not as consistent.

6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I've had similar results with Trail Boss in other calibers. Sometimes, near the starting load, it doesn't seem to be consistent. I deduced it wasn't igniting reliably. 

I also had some improvement with a change in primer. 

Trail Boss has it's applications, but it's not magic, and I found that it wasn't ideal when trying to shoot light for caliber bullets at the lower velocities.  

I have been loading 3.1 gn Trailboss since the powder shortage with no problems. Recently i have been experiencing light loads.  I use a powder check die and look in every case to verify there is powder. Saturday at Oak Ridge,  the coldest place in the south, I believe I could see unburnt powder going faster than my bullet. This is a new problem.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

I have been loading 3.1 gn Trailboss since the powder shortage with no problems. Recently i have been experiencing light loads.  I use a powder check die and look in every case to verify there is powder. Saturday at Oak Ridge,  the coldest place in the south, I believe I could see unburnt powder going faster than my bullet. This is a new problem.

Morning Purly,

3.5 works great for me and has for years. I load 100gr RNFP coated bullet for match rifle/pistol ammo and 158gr for knockdowns. I don’t change anything except the bullet I set on top of the case. Keep it simple and trust me this works great, even for all my different guns from marlins , 73’s, pistols 4”- 5 1/2”.

Slick

If not crimping in the crimp groove, any velocity data would need to be rechecked with a chronograph. Probably need that anyway, since barrel lengths may not match, yours versus the data. I use TB in both 38 Special pistol and 357 Magnum rifle. I had inconsistent load weights and some pooft! light loads,until I removed the baffle from my powder measure. Seemed to have been bridging, barring having some sort of vibrator mechanism.

I have loaded 38 specials with the 105 TC and

3.0 TrailBoss for a good many years..

(I switched to Deuces 110 gr. TC 3-5 years ago)

I crimp them in the crimp groove..

I had them chrono'd a few years back at our Illinois State match

and they were deemed ok for FPS..

Sorry but I don't remember the numbers.. :unsure:

I've never had a problem with cold weather but then again

I stop shooting around the 40 degree mark..:rolleyes:

I do find there are STILL  misses in them tho.. :huh:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it might be the shooter on the misses tho.. :D

Just sayin' :mellow:

Trail Boss gets very erratic if your load is below the minimum charge for a given case volume.  You will get much better results if you are at least 2 tenths of a grain above the calculated minimum.

Purly, let me know if you'd like to borrow my chronograph, & I'll bring it next time we shoot together, which I'm guessing will be Riverbend. You'll have to let me win, though. Not like last month.

Archived