SASS Wire Forum

Reloading old school - sometimes better.

Warden Callaway

1551692371_ReloadingblocksFeb2019.jpg.cb88d56c6c23d7dfcb88ef890eda2ed4.jpg

I have just one old Winchester 1873 38-40 and another Marlin project in the making.  I have 200 Starline cases and a set of Lee dies.  Instead of setting up the Dillon,  it's just easier to load these the way I did it years ago. 

I recently found the little powder funnel with handle at a gun show.  I bought it with a couple of other black powder do-dads. It's a reproduction but it works fantastic.  Scooping 1cc of BlackMZ.  

This table looks like my setup.

I have reloaded on a Lee hand loader or single stage press since 1986.  I often reload 500 cartridges every two weeks.  Never a dud.  Never a reversed primer.  I enjoy loadin' as much as I enjoy unloadin'.

Safest and surest method.

I actually still do all my high powered rifle this way and load on a single stage press. With the years worth of meat on the table at stake, I just gotta measure each round and make sure the ammo is at its highest standard possible.

BD

340216275_ReloadingusingLeehandpressFeb2019.jpg.289b2933f492dc0daa4ded1a1fb8f166.jpg

Using a Lee hand press to seat the bullets.   

Never really left my roots.  50 years ago I had all my reloading equipment and supplies stored in an old briefcase.  

I'm adding one step to the old routine.  I'm using the Lee factory crimp die because the bullets are cast from a Lee mold ment for 40S&W and don't have a crimp groove.  

In reference to your funnel. I found an old tore up brass candle handle. It had several different size funnel shapes, all held together with a long threaded rod. I took it apart and used the funnels for loading, fashioning handles out of other scraps laying about.

3 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

In reference to your funnel. I found an old tore up brass candle handle. It had several different size funnel shapes, all held together with a long threaded rod. I took it apart and used the funnels for loading, fashioning handles out of other scraps laying about.

I thought of taking a kitchen spoon and punching a hole in it that would hopefully produce a spout.  But I ran across this one at a gun show.  I've used just a small plastic funnel ment for reloading and some that weren't but this one works the best by far.

my tools are a bit newer but the high power rifles get loaded pretty much the same way.  Do have an old Lyman 55 I refurbished for the powder.

My biggest problem is trying to get the 30-30 cartridge to stand up straight once they're loaded--bit top heavy :)

At one time, I loaded all my .45 Colt pretty close to that way (I used an RCBS "Little Dandy" powder measure that I moved from case to case). Nothing wrong with old school, especially if you only need 50 or 100 rounds.

14 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Do have an old Lyman 55 I refurbished for the powder.

2110244307_Lyman55thumbnut3Jan2019.jpg.08e8d0f9e780991a57cffb8fc4c0e842.jpg

I also have now three Lyman 55 measures. The gray one on far right I've had almost from the start.  The black one is a black powder measure.  I use it on top of the Dillon.  I'm loading BlackMZ today.  Just as easy on this project to scoop powder.  Plenty accurate for this job and there is no clean up afterwards.  

Shot a 6 stage match yesterday,with one double charged round.No harm but it sure woke up the rest of the posse!It was loaded  on my progressive.Maybe I should go back to the "old school " process as a refresher.

Choctaw

13 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Shot a 6 stage match yesterday,with one double charged round.No harm but it sure woke up the rest of the posse!It was loaded  on my progressive.Maybe I should go back to the "old school " process as a refresher.

Choctaw

Just maybe, you should pay better/closer attention to what you are doing?

Been load'n on a D/550 for over 30+ yrs, and have never had such an issue.

OLG

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just maybe, you should pay better/closer attention to what you are doing?

Been load'n on a D/550 for over 30+ yrs, and have never had such an issue.

OLG

Did you knock on wood when you made that proclamation. :unsure:

I got 200 rounds of 38WCF loaded this morning.  No speed record but I'm stuck here in the house anyway. If I get my butt in gear and get my Marlin project gun done,  I'll shoot it in at least one match.  So 200 rounds will last me a long time.

9 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Choctaw

I blew up a revolver three  years ago with a double charge, and it shook me up good. I used a loading block and RCBS Little Dandy for a long time afterward. I'm sure I just got distracted with *something*, and didn't clear the table on the 550, then came back later and ran the case back up into the powder funnel again. I've often thought since then that it shouldn't be that hard for an electrical engineer to design a "laser range finder" or maybe something using sound pulses (sonar) above the case somehow that could be set to sound an audible alarm if the level in the case weren't within user-programmable parameters - a go/no-go type of thing.

Or just sell my 550's and buy 650's. :mellow:

I wish I had started that way.  I began reloading on a Square Deal B, and made more than a few mistakes, mostly because I didn't understand the process.  Everything's cool now, but I load my rifle ammunition on a single stage Lee, and I even know why I'm doing what I do!  :)

i always load this way , i just enjoy the process and do not worry of the time , i do not load when im in a rush or got pressing things on the schedule - it takes the fun out of it , i need to find one of those funnels with the handle tho ...

Archived