SASS Wire Forum

Help with 73

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Trying to help a good friend who is battling Leukemia and in the hospital.

Background, he purchased this sight unseen on the wire. The gun was supposedly slicked up and short stroked by a well known gunsmith, it levers fine, but when you try to close the lever even with no round in it it stops moving like it's hung up on something. If you give it a good yank it overcomes that and then closes the rest of the way smoothly. I took the side plates off and it appears to me that the toggle links have what I'll call for lack of a better term a detente milled into it. I've looked at other stock and short stroked toggle links and don't see anything looking similar. I've sent an email to the smith and hope he responds, but figured I'd ask on the wire, since there is a lot of 73 experience here. My hope is just taking a dremel and rounding the sharp edge will fix it and cause no other problems What do you think?

IMG_1094.JPG

Please back away from the Rifle and sit your Dremel tool down Sir !!!!!!!!!

You're about to ruin a perfectly good set of Links.

My guess is it's out of time.... If it was timed properly before and is now out of time something may have bent

Before you do anything you need to understand how a Link rifle works.....

Heres a good place to start.... follow the Links !!!!   

click below..........

Bob    Check the bolt tab on the bottom of his bolt.  Sometimes they don't break but bend down slightly causing the lever to bind when you start to close it.    Good luck pard   GW

15 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Thanks, I'll check that. What I find curious is the small detente in the link. I don't see anything like that in other links.

I call it a U-Turn..........

I'm not sure who first came up with it, but the latest (shortest) short strokes use that area in the links

for the lever pin to not bind as it stops and then starts going back the other direction at the end of the lever travel.

I have a couple sets, brand new, that look like that. More likely If you move the bolt all the way to the rear and your “bind” occurs just as the bolt begins to move into the area where the carrier moves (front of the receiver) most likely the tab is bent down, needs repair and retimed. I have also seen the screw that holds the loading ladle in place loosen and the links will sporadically hit it and bind momentarily, not a stopping bind but definitely noticeable.

good luck and regards

Gateway Kid

OK, put the Dremel away, that's obviously not the problem. It binds up before the bolt even starts to move, makes no difference if I push the lifter down or not and binds up with the side plates on or off.

6 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

OK, put the Dremel away, that's obviously not the problem. It binds up before the bolt even starts to move, makes no difference if I push the lifter down or not and binds up with the side plates on or off.

Take a look at the tab on the bottom of the bolt.

If it's still there but has started to bend down, take a file dress it to where it no longer catches.  Take off a little at a time.

It may or may not be good to go after that and last a while.

Otherwise, you may need a new bolt or send that one off to have the tab replaced.

23 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Ok Bob.    Remove the links and the carrier.   Try to move the bolt by hand with nothing else touching it.   Filing it off will probably not help long, the tab has been weakened.   Could make it for awhile    GW

Thanks. I already did take the links off and at full open it does bind up. I'll take it apart tomorrow and have a look see. Thanks for all the suggestions steering me in the right direction.

Well I took it apart and found a burr under the tab on the bolt, dressed it a bit and it's slicker than snot on a glass door knob as my Mom used to say. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will raise my buddies spirits a bit.

Good for you!!

now you will need to correct a bit of a timing error to prevent it from happening again.

I am not very computer literate but if you ask Father KCGG he can probably find the recent link on how it is done or direct you to one of the many excellent gunsmiths who can correct the issue.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

7 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Well I took it apart and found a burr under the tab on the bolt, dressed it a bit and it's slicker than snot on a glass door knob as my Mom used to say. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will raise my buddies spirits a bit.

Look at that bolt tab close. Many times they bend down and when they go back in the frame (where you felt the stick) the bend back the other way. This will cause fatigue and the bolt tab will break off. 

Look for cracks or damage. If it is the old type bolt there are many gunsmiths that can add a new tab to it or mill in the slot for the new removeable tabs. Of you could get a new bolt and fit it. 

I just wanted to see if anyone would interpret that wrong, too.

They are PGW Super Short Stroke links,  I suggest checking the timing as well as they are sensitive..

Ol'  #4

Archived