SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Awards policy updated

Joe LaFives #5481

Based on discussion with SASS and among the Winter Range board the policy for awards is as follows:

If a competitor wins a category but is not a US citizen they will be awarded the appropriate trophy but the championship buckle and title will go to the highest placing US competitor in that category.

It's not that I have anything against non-citizen shooters, they add a welcome diversity to a shoot. I do feel that this is the proper path to take. JMHO

17 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

What a strange policy to have.

Not really so, as many state matches tend to be awarded this same way. Winter Range is the NATIONAL event for the USA. Those competing from other countries can take the top overall placing at EOT, the WORLD championships event.;)

18 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Based on discussion with SASS and among the Winter Range board the policy for awards is as follows:

If a competitor wins a category but is not a US citizen they will be awarded the appropriate trophy but the championship buckle and title will go to the highest placing US competitor in that category.

Very glad to see this happen.

I agree 100% with this and should have always been this way, it’s the USA nationals.  

I’m going to ask about the nice bronze Fredrick Remington trophy. Since it’s a USA National Championship “Champion” trophy it does go to the 1st in line U.S resident if a Non- resident should take 1st right ??

Slick - No the first place trophy is awarded to the winner along with the regular buckle.  The Buckle and title and trophy for the place  go to the highest placing citizen.

19 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Slick - No the first place trophy is awarded to the winner along with the regular buckle.  The Buckle and title and trophy for the place  go to the highest placing citizen.

Not meaning to stir the proverbial pot, but isn’t the National Championship throphy suppose to go the the USA National Champion?  

What good is a title if you don’t have the throphy to go along with it.

kinda like winning a car and you only get the title but can’t get the car. With that being said , I’m super glad WR is headed in the right direction with the Champion awards. 

Our state match awards the state champion in each category with a nice custom buckle and the title of state Champion for that class. If the winner in a class is from another state then they get an award but the Champion buckle and title goes to the first up Louisiana resident.

Maybe I’m the only one that thinks this way. 

Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

13 minutes ago, Slick McClade said:

Not meaning to stir the proverbial pot, but isn’t the National Championship throphy suppose to go the the USA National Champion?  

I'm just taking a guess here.  I do NOT have any inside information.  You're assuming the trophy is for the National Champion in the category.  Maybe it's actually the category winner's trophy whether they be the national champion or not. 

It's the winner's trophy.  and just like your state match the Champion buckle and title goes to the first up US citizen.

7 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'm just taking a guess here.  I do NOT have any inside information.  You're assuming the trophy is for the National Champion in the category.  Maybe it's actually the category winner's trophy whether they be the national champion or not. 

2 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

It's the winner's trophy.  and just like your state match the Champion buckle and title goes to the first up US citizen.

Ok, I understand that. I just always thought the nice bronze was the National Champion trophy. Guess I should have paid closer attention to the ones I have :) . 

They don’t have  “National Champion” anywhere on them. I apologize for thinking otherwise.

This  may  be splitting  a hair that  doesn't  need  it.....but are we talking  resident or citizen?

State and regionals talk about  residents  and you keep  saying  citizen.

CS  

Because you are not a citizen of your state,  you are a resident.  But you could be a resident alien of the US and so if you were to say participate in the Olympics, you would do so under the flag of your citizenship.  Keep it real folks. 

This ain't all that complicated...

:D

10 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Because you are not a citizen of your state,  you are a resident.  But you could be a resident alien of the US and so if you were to say participate in the Olympics, you would do so under the flag of your citizenship.  Keep it real folks. 

This is the SASS Wire and it's winter, what do you expect? :lol:

I'm still not understanding this... 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

the first place trophy is awarded to the winner along with the regular buckle.

So a foreign first place category winner will get the big statue trophy and a "regular" buckle. What is the regular buckle? 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The Buckle and title and trophy for the place  go to the highest placing citizen.

So the highest placing citizen will get the national champion buckle and a national champion trophy in addition to the buckle and trophy they get for their overall category placement? What is the national champion trophy? So if a citizen wins first place will they get 2 buckles (the national champion buckle and a "regular" buckle) and 2 trophies? 

8 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

I'm still not understanding this... 

So a foreign first place category winner will get the big statue trophy and a "regular" buckle. What is the regular buckle? 

So the highest placing citizen will get the national champion buckle and a national champion trophy in addition to the buckle and trophy they get for their overall category placement? What is the national champion trophy? So if a citizen wins first place will they get 2 buckles (the national champion buckle and a "regular" buckle) and 2 trophies? 

If the person placing first in any category is not a US citizen, they will get the first place trophy and a "Top Ten" buckle. The top placing US citizen will get the "National Champion" buckle and any trophy (1st, 2nd or 3rd) that they have won. A maximum of one trophy and one buckle to any shooter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11 February 2019 at 9:02 AM, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

So if one who lives in the US whether he/she is a Citizen or not and is the highest placed competitor you can be awarded the championship buckle?

If not, you'd have to bring your passport to prove your a US CITIZEN.

there seems to a lot of confusion around the words, citizen, resident and competitor.

A US competitor doesn't necessarily have to be a US citizen?

25 minutes ago, Swiss Kid, SASS #54030 said:

Lets say you're an Australian citizen, bur live in the US, and you win a gold medal in the Olympics. Is this a medal for Australia or the US?

It would be for the country that you represented...

;)

Archived