SASS Wire Forum

Lightest/Cheapest 12G Shotgun Ammo...?

David Balthazar

Disregard post. 

Just picked up a case of Fed Subsonics for .29 cents a round, shipped at Brownells.

*UPDATE 2/11/19*  Brownells retroactively allowed me to use yesterdays coupon, so I am getting the ammo for .25 cents a round, shipped :D 

Special thanks to "Hellbender" who alerted me to the coupon!

A COMMON light shotgun shell choice - Winchester Featherlites AKA Low Recoil Low Noise.   AA12FL8 part number.   Hard to find sometimes.    26 grams of shot at 980 FPS.

A real nice light s/g shell, even harder to find, the Federal Metro Target load.   One ounce shot at about 900 FPS.

Lightest and cheapest - what many cowboys reload for themselves!  There are good loads for the reloader with 3/4 ounce shot that make 1000 FPS.

Recoil is all about shot weight times muzzle velocity.   Light shot weight at low velocity gives lightest recoil (and most likely not to always work well without squibs).

If you really want low recoil, good availability and low cost, you have to load your own.

Good luck, GJ

22 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

Title says it all : Lightest/Cheapest 12G Shotgun Ammo ...?

Don't know if it makes a difference, but it is for an 1897 pump.

Thank you!

DB

These, 

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/top-gun-subsonic-12-gauge-2-3-4-ammo-prod120278.aspx

For a '97, for coach gun if I wasn't going to reload I'd probably go with these..

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/67652/Winchester+Low+Recoil+12+Ga.+2+3%2F4+26+Grams+%238+Lead+Shot+-+CASE

Randy

If you have an Academy Sports nearby, they sell Estate and Monarch brands pretty  cheap, around $5-$5.50 a box.  I see several shooters using Estate brand. No personal experience with Monarch though.  

Fed. Subsonic are 900 fps even slower then the Low noise Low recoil at 980. As case amounts increase at Rogers the price decreases and free shipping.

14 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Thank you for the advice!  Just picked up a case of Fed Subsonics for .29 cents a round, shipped at Brownells.

Winchester for the last several years has rebated $2/box of AAs.  Come April you may be able to buy AA12FL8 AAs (aka featherlights) with that rebate for up to five cases.  Hold off buying more SG shells for now.

3 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Disregard post. 

Just picked up a case of Fed Subsonics for .29 cents a round, shipped at Brownells.

•  

Thanks for the tip.  I just ordered 2 cases to get the 10% off and free shipping on orders over $99 (offer ends TONIGHT) at 11:59pm CST.  Came out to 25 cents a round, shipped.

13 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A COMMON light shotgun shell choice - Winchester Featherlites AKA Low Recoil Low Noise.   AA12FL8 part number.   Hard to find sometimes.    26 grams of shot at 980 FPS.

A real nice light s/g shell, even harder to find, the Federal Metro Target load.   One ounce shot at about 900 FPS.

Lightest and cheapest - what many cowboys reload for themselves!  There are good loads for the reloader with 3/4 ounce shot that make 1000 FPS.

Recoil is all about shot weight times muzzle velocity.   Light shot weight at low velocity gives lightest recoil (and most likely not to always work well without squibs).

If you really want low recoil, good availability and low cost, you have to load your own.

Good luck, GJ

What load data would one use to load lighter than common commercial?

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Try Hodgdon's  loads for youth or any powder distributor's data for 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads.  Load the minimum published powder charge for their fast burning powder and expect satisfactory loads for cold weather.  BTW, there is usually an old thread on the Wire with shooter's personal recipes.  APP, a black powder sub makes nice low recoil SG shells too.

25 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Try Hodgdon's  loads for youth or any powder distributor's data for 3/4 or 7/8 oz loads.  Load the minimum published powder charge for their fast burning powder and expect satisfactory loads for cold weather.  BTW, there is usually an old thread on the Wire with shooter's personal recipes.  APP, a black powder sub makes nice low recoil SG shells too.

I think the earlier reference was to informal loads that are lighter than what one would normally find from a formalized source. I am quite aware of what is available from powder companies.

I had a box of the federal Metro loads but they are 'high brass' shells.

I haven't shot them yet so I'm not sure they are worthwhile.   I'll probably just stick to buying 100 round bricks of Winchester Light-Target Loads.

6 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I settled on 14gr of Alliant Ultra Lite under 1oz.  This powder is designed for 7/8 light sporting clays. Burns very clean under low pressures, even in the winter sub-freeze.

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I had a box of the federal Metro loads but they are 'high brass' shells.

The brass height on shotgun shells makes NO difference any more.  It used to (in the 50s and 60s) indicate high power loads.  No longer.  Manufacturers use high and low brass rather randomly any more, with high brass on target loads like the Federal Metro, and low brass on some hunting loads.

Don't worry - the Metro loads are pussy cats.

Good luck, GJ

8 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

David, What shotgun are you shooting. Some of the ribbed shells do not easily shuck from some SxS's.

I am currently working on getting a slicked up, 6 shot Chi-com 1897.  I may consider a Stoeger too if I can get one on the cheap

If you are shooting a SXS, try a few before buying in bulk.  My Baikial (SP?) Bounty Hunter II loves ribbed hulls and dislikes smooth sided ones.  I fought with AA's a long time before figuring that out.  Now I reload Remington Gun Club hulls.

Chancy

5 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

If you are shooting a SXS, try a few before buying in bulk.  My Baikial (SP?) Bounty Hunter II loves ribbed hulls and dislikes smooth sided ones.  I fought with AA's a long time before figuring that out.  Now I reload Remington Gun Club hulls.

Chancy

We call that being a slow learner:P

7 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

I am currently working on getting a slicked up, 6 shot Chi-com 1897.  I may consider a Stoeger too if I can get one on the cheap

Stoegers are not the top SG's, but they are inexpensive. Not bad-mouthing them, I have two. One for the wife with a cut down stock, ( been using it for 14 yrs )and one for me.  I did some work on them myself to make them more useable.

Archived